Buying a 2021 Lariat Supercrew FX4.... Good deal?

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
I live north of you in PSL. i bought a 2020 ranger in dec. The price variance across the state was big, but the best deals, if that is what you are looking for, where off I4 from Tampa thru Orlando to Jacksonville. The dealer I bought my truck from is just south Jacksonville, and have a 2020 ranger in Sabre like you described advertising 6k off. If that dealer won’t price match someone else will, you just have to be willing to drive and wait a little.

if you can afford it and like it go for it. I like that color a little more each time I see it.
the color is absolutely killer in person. Pics don’t do it justice.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. I'm pretty smitten with a '21 Cactus Lariat Supercrew FX4. Options are towing, black appearance, and FX4.

Sticker is 45520, dealer is offering 43675 including the 1250 rebate. Is this a solid deal? Seems like I missed the boat on the end of year 2020 fire sale a bit.

4CB08A53-68E5-438E-9146-D70EA0F1CF2D_1_105_c.jpeg
I have not been following pricing issues since I bought my truck in 2019, but the one in the picture looks great! Cactus grey is a good color for Rangers, as it turns out, and Black Appearance Package looks great on anything! Good luck with your new truck, whichever one you choose!

Mark Sitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I don't think that the dealer has as much profit in the Ranger as this forum would have you believe. Other than holdback which is about 3% there may be 5% off list that is initial dealer cost. Out of that he has to give the salesman something in the way of commission. These people who say they got 7K to 10K off list would have to prove it with the paperwork and a lot of rebates to be believed. The dealer is a business and not there to give cars away, he has to turn a profit in order to stay in business. The last profit center is in the finance office and it manifests itself in extended warranties, tire warranties, other dealer applied extras and dealer doc fees. I know of an extended factory warranty program that costs the dealer less than half of what they sell them for and no one questions it because it only adds $30-$40 a month to the payment and the doc fees can be as much a $1000 in places and by law they cannot be reduced from their stated price. They kind of have you here because you have finally agreed to the price of the car and now just want to leave in your new vehicle. The DOC fee is pure profit just to print an invoice. So when negotiating the out the door cost and knowing the above you now have knowledge and that is power. New Ranger fair deal would be MSRP less 5% less any rebates and incentives less doc fees over $200 plus tax and title fees that the state charges. The holdback is what the dealer operates his business on and comes at the end of the year. This program was put in effect many years ago because competing dealers selling cars at cost made no money and went out of business so Holdback is the manufacturer protecting the dealer from himself.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Would Xplan be much less than this? Should I be expecting to get invoice, minus the 1250 rebate?
Ford's X-Plan is an excellent route to take, but be advised that if you join the Mustang Club of America (as I did) to take advantage if it that there is a waiting period. If memory serves me correct it's 90 days after you become a member, but I may be wrong.
In my case the waiting period was moot as I special ordered a 2020 in Aug. 2019 on the very day that Ford started accepting orders for '20's. My Lariat was delivered on Jan. 18, 2020 and was equipped the way I wanted it, yes the 5 month wait was excruciating towards the end, but I was in no rush

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I don't think that the dealer has as much profit in the Ranger as this forum would have you believe. Other than holdback which is about 3% there may be 5% off list that is initial dealer cost. Out of that he has to give the salesman something in the way of commission. These people who say they got 7K to 10K off list would have to prove it with the paperwork and a lot of rebates to be believed. The dealer is a business and not there to give cars away, he has to turn a profit in order to stay in business. The last profit center is in the finance office and it manifests itself in extended warranties, tire warranties, other dealer applied extras and dealer doc fees. I know of an extended factory warranty program that costs the dealer less than half of what they sell them for and no one questions it because it only adds $30-$40 a month to the payment and the doc fees can be as much a $1000 in places and by law they cannot be reduced from their stated price. They kind of have you here because you have finally agreed to the price of the car and now just want to leave in your new vehicle. The DOC fee is pure profit just to print an invoice. So when negotiating the out the door cost and knowing the above you now have knowledge and that is power. New Ranger fair deal would be MSRP less 5% less any rebates and incentives less doc fees over $200 plus tax and title fees that the state charges. The holdback is what the dealer operates his business on and comes at the end of the year. This program was put in effect many years ago because competing dealers selling cars at cost made no money and went out of business so Holdback is the manufacturer protecting the dealer from himself.
I too would like to see some paperwork from someone who got $7k-$10k off MSRP. I was in a dealer in Scottsdale AZ on Monday negotiating on a Ranger and walked out. After seeing this initial offer, I was done dealing with them for the day. I would not even let them appraise my 2011 Tacoma. My son and I just got up and walked out. It was a 2020 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab with the 301A package, Tow, Technology package and the FX4 Off-Road package.

Here was the deal they offered:

MSRP $39,785

Discount $3208.82 This includes the Ford $1750 rebate

Price after discount $36576.18

Accessories $1796

Total $38,372.18

OTD price (with tax,title,lic,fees) $42,425.76

The accessories breakdown was as follows:

Desert Protection Package $1197 (ceramic window tint, wax job, nitrogen inflated tires, door edge guards)

KAAR Security System $699

Inyati Spray in bedliner $699

So the asking price for the accessories was $2595 and they reduced that to $1796. Of the “accessories”, the ceramic tint and the spray in bedliner were of value to me. The rest of the desert protection package and the KAAR security system was useless overpriced junk. Just a guess with no research being done, the window tint and the Inyati bedliner would be worth @ $700.

If I build the exact truck on Edmunds.com, their MSRP is an exact match with the window sticker and the Edmunds suggested price is $34,798 after the Ford $1750 rebate. So taking into account the dealer installed accessories @ $700, I would assume a reasonable deal would have been @ $35,500 + ttl. If they would have come in at that price, I would have let them appraise the Tacoma.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I too would like to see some paperwork from someone who got $7k-$10k off MSRP. I was in a dealer in Scottsdale AZ on Monday negotiating on a Ranger and walked out. After seeing this initial offer, I was done dealing with them for the day. I would not even let them appraise my 2011 Tacoma. My son and I just got up and walked out. It was a 2020 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab with the 301A package, Tow, Technology package and the FX4 Off-Road package.

Here was the deal they offered:

MSRP $39,785

Discount $3208.82 This includes the Ford $1750 rebate

Price after discount $36576.18

Accessories $1796

Total $38,372.18

OTD price (with tax,title,lic,fees) $42,425.76

The accessories breakdown was as follows:

Desert Protection Package $1197 (ceramic window tint, wax job, nitrogen inflated tires, door edge guards)

KAAR Security System $699

Inyati Spray in bedliner $699

So the asking price for the accessories was $2595 and they reduced that to $1796. Of the “accessories”, the ceramic tint and the spray in bedliner were of value to me. The rest of the desert protection package and the KAAR security system was useless overpriced junk. Just a guess with no research being done, the window tint and the Inyati bedliner would be worth @ $700.

If I build the exact truck on Edmunds.com, their MSRP is an exact match with the window sticker and the Edmunds suggested price is $34,798 after the Ford $1750 rebate. So taking into account the dealer installed accessories @ $700, I would assume a reasonable deal would have been @ $35,500 + ttl. If they would have come in at that price, I would have let them appraise the Tacoma.
There's been a couple members who have actually shown proof of their absurdly good deals. Perhaps somewhere on this thread?

Keep in mind that those incredible deals are anomalies from unique situations. I myself got a really good deal in Jan 2020, but it was a truck that had been on the lot for quite a while so Ford had an extra rebate on it and the dealer gave me an extra $2k over blue book on my 2003 I was trading in (I was on x-plan so the dealer couldn't change the price of the truck I was buying and instead had to sweeten the deal in other parts of the transaction), plus the factory incentives were just better at that point than they are now.

As for your situation, I don't see any reason to pay premium prices for extra dealer-added crap you don't want. You can get the exact same truck without the extras at another dealership.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Agreed about the add ons--more people should just walk away from those to kill the dealers' incentive to pull that crap

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Wow, that is a beautiful colour! Every time I read posts on here and what you guys down in the states pay for the rangers, it make my cry in canadian a little bit each time. If they offered the same pricing in CAD, id buy two of them! Back to the point, that is a beautiful truck!

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Correct on your numbers. New car sales are working on a profit of 3% (5% if they're lucky). The dealer makes money on numbers and manufacturer incentive programs. Sales people make their living on numbers and used cars. You sell new to keep your job and used cars to pay the bills. Dealers also want you parts and service business where they are working on a MINIMUM of 30% profit.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
There's been a couple members who have actually shown proof of their absurdly good deals. Perhaps somewhere on this thread?

Keep in mind that those incredible deals are anomalies from unique situations. I myself got a really good deal in Jan 2020, but it was a truck that had been on the lot for quite a while so Ford had an extra rebate on it and the dealer gave me an extra $2k over blue book on my 2003 I was trading in (I was on x-plan so the dealer couldn't change the price of the truck I was buying and instead had to sweeten the deal in other parts of the transaction), plus the factory incentives were just better at that point than they are now.

As for your situation, I don't see any reason to pay premium prices for extra dealer-added crap you don't want. You can get the exact same truck without the extras at another dealership.
agree more people should avoid dealers that add a lot of their own overpriced add-ons, I did get $10k off of msrp as it had several incentives from Ford including one using their financing at 7.9% and was sold as a dealer demo with 700 miles on the odo and I settled for the auto with a couple of factory installed options I wouldn't have ordered - chrome package and the small rear window. There were no extras added on from the dealer though and a number of dealers in CO actually advertise no dealer prep and handling fees.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
You won't see that type of discount just yet on a 2021, but I did get a healthy discount of $9621.80 on a 2020 Lariat FX4 501A with towing pkg. last month as you can see below. This dealer was the lowest although they had the largest dealer fee but by only $100. The adds for accessories are things I requested which were priced the same as if I had them done myself.
1611152431790.png
Sponsored