Not open for further replies.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here's my take on the "damper battle" - buy one, install it, and if you still think that it's useless, re-sell it for $35. I wonder what percentage ends up keeping it? ;-)

The Promo Code WELCOME at Varsity Ford doesn't seem to be working anymore, unfortunately.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's my take on the "damper battle" - buy one, install it, and if you still think that it's useless, re-sell it for $35. I wonder what percentage ends up keeping it? ;-)

The Promo Code WELCOME at Varsity Ford doesn't seem to be working anymore, unfortunately.
I bet 100% would keep it but only 80% would admit it.;):lipssealed:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bet 100% would keep it but only 80% would admit it.;):lipssealed:
I timed the fall....Exactly 3.5 seconds..I know to some, 3.5 seconds is a long time. :(:p

Last edited:

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
no way i would keep it. 3.5 seconds is kinda a long time when your'e in a hurry. ive used trucks with them before and personally cant stand them. that said i dont care what others do to their trucks i was just curious why someone would want such a hindrance. i guess if you have really weak wrists...

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I timed the fall....Exactly 3.5 seconds..I know to some, 3.5 seconds is a long time. :(:p
You know, damper struts are like $15 each and available in any length and damping value. What you're really paying for is the mounting brackets. If anyone doesn't like how fast it drops you could probably just get a different strut. Some are adjustable.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You know, damper struts are like $15 each and available in any length and damping value. What you're really paying for is the mounting brackets. If anyone doesn't like how fast it drops you could probably just get a different strut. Some are adjustable.
3 1/2 seconds out of somebody's day to lower a tailgate apparently is too long for some people.

I just don't know why they enter a thread just to claim they don't need it . I wonder if they like the hood struts?? I'm not into tuning at the moment and I don't respond negatively to tuning threads and post why they are silly!!

:headbang::headbang::handsinair:

Last edited:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Maybe one last post on this tailgate damper thing, maybe? I have owned pickup trucks for years, all full size. I guess I just adjusted to tailgates through the years. The truck was bad ass, the owner was bad ass, and the tailgate was bad ass. Nothing like flopping that tailgate down and picking up your girl and sittin her up on the tailgate. Damn that always turned out well. I laugh when I think about opening the gate today and she watches it slowly opening. How embarrassing that would have been, in the day. I'm old enough now that girls my age would probably be impressed with the slow opening gate. LOL.

Ok moving on: A friend who also bought a Ranger showed me his gate damper and I was that's nice but I don't know if I need that and he replied, I bought two so one is for you! He told me he would bring it over and help with install but due to the holidays, and schedules, it hasn't happened just yet, but soon I presume. I think the balls in my court. I'm going to install it and see how I like it.

I really think what I would like is an auto tailgate, both up and down. I personally could see a greater need for that. Almost every time I am putting stuff in my bed I kinda plan for the free hand, and my first trip with stuff. I also know that since I started putting covers on my truck beds the tailgate is used more. Items I may have been able to put in the bed either over the side, or over the tailgate can not be done with the cover on and closed. Trucks are getting taller, and beds are getting deeper for sure.

Final thought: Iv'e read almost all the posts on these dampers. Of course some are for one and some not, but too me pretty much everyone has a solid reason either way. Just my take. Like I said, I didn't have much interest, but am going to give one a shot.

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
I hope no one notices that I installed my front license plate bracket upside down! Geez, I feel bad enough about just having a tailgate shock!! Couldn't stand any more shame!:facepalm:

1216191445.jpg

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I hope no one notices that I installed my front license plate bracket upside down! Geez, I feel bad enough about just having a tailgate shock!! Couldn't stand any more shame!:facepalm:

1216191445.jpg
That plate bracket actually looks better like that! I wonder if it blocks much airflow from going into that opening?

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.

1216191445.jpg
Maybe you posted earlier but what brand, and where did you get your step bars. They look good with the chrome pkg. I also have the chrome, and supercab. Love it.

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you posted earlier but what brand, and where did you get your step bars. They look good with the chrome pkg. I also have the chrome, and supercab. Love it.
TAC on Amazon. $159.99 + free shipping. Were as easy to install as OEM ones that I have used. All brackets and hardware incl. Just be SURE to order for type cab you have! And unless you live in SoCal be prepared for the shipping wait!

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
That plate bracket actually looks better like that! I wonder if it blocks much airflow from going into that opening?
Getting plenty of air in January! I suspect there will be enough airflow from all around and under it to cool. (unless you're towing 7800 lbs. uphill in the desert)

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
the hell with the damper I want one of those little lock/unlock squares on the door handles on my tailgate! pisses me off every time i leave my keys in the truck, go to unload something, and the damn tailgate is locked. Stupid to have a lock on a tailgate anyway unless you get one of those hardtop covers.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.