Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
For those that have installed ditch lights of any brand. Any hints on install especially on where you ran your wires? If you have the Tremor switches, wiring run locations? Suggestions, how to, avoid this/that. Help all involved....photos are appreciated. Thank you. (photo credit: Diode Dynamics/kit on the way for me)
2019_ford_ranger_creative_ss3_close_ditch_on.jpg
)
Sponsored

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
For those that have installed ditch lights of any brand. Any hints on install especially on where you ran your wires? If you have the Tremor switches, wiring run locations? Suggestions, how to, avoid this/that. Help all involved....photos are appreciated. Thank you. (photo credit: Diode Dynamics/kit on the way for me)
2019_ford_ranger_creative_ss3_close_ditch_on.jpg
)
Hey Craig, when I installed my ditch lights I ran the wires underneath the hood mat and through the hood. Once you pull off some of the pins towards the back of the hood you will see a tunnel that is perfect for running wires through. I have the Diode Dynamics ditch light kit and really love it!

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I’m prepped for ditch lights. Still deciding on which ones.
I made a harness when I purchased the truck. Included leads for future needs (wants). Everything is wrapped in cloth tape to look more OEM. Careful with the wire you use. With LED lights, you don’t need anything too large. 16awg will do the trick. Do watch for the type of wire. There is a lot of cheap stuff out there. There is also some that is overkill. I just focus on oxygen-free copper OFC. Typically, the more strands the better.
I ran the main harness between the battery and the motor as opposed to between the battery and the fender.
To cross over for the passenger side, the harness is zip-tied along the edge of the firewall where it meets the wiper cowl. I pulled out the plastic pins, fished a tie through the metal part, and put the pins back in.
I attached a couple pics, you can see the harness and the leads coming off - one for ditch lights, another for a future switch to either a beacon or illuminated whip.
8C9232B4-9E2F-4D50-B805-97016A847CD8.png
C61E82B8-B182-4A38-9AC9-BEE6E2A1A137.png

OP
OP
OregonRangerTremor

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Craig, when I installed my ditch lights I ran the wires underneath the hood mat and through the hood. Once you pull off some of the pins towards the back of the hood you will see a tunnel that is perfect for running wires through. I have the Diode Dynamics ditch light kit and really love it!
Great idea and better than across the firewall. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
OregonRangerTremor

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m prepped for ditch lights. Still deciding on which ones.
I made a harness when I purchased the truck. Included leads for future needs (wants). Everything is wrapped in cloth tape to look more OEM. Careful with the wire you use. With LED lights, you don’t need anything too large. 16awg will do the trick. Do watch for the type of wire. There is a lot of cheap stuff out there. There is also some that is overkill. I just focus on oxygen-free copper OFC. Typically, the more strands the better.
I ran the main harness between the battery and the motor as opposed to between the battery and the fender.
To cross over for the passenger side, the harness is zip-tied along the edge of the firewall where it meets the wiper cowl. I pulled out the plastic pins, fished a tie through the metal part, and put the pins back in.
I attached a couple pics, you can see the harness and the leads coming off - one for ditch lights, another for a future switch to either a beacon or illuminated whip.
8C9232B4-9E2F-4D50-B805-97016A847CD8.png
C61E82B8-B182-4A38-9AC9-BEE6E2A1A137.png
Great advice, thanks! On the wire; Diode Dynamics set comes with the mounting brackets & hardware and a wiring harness...plugs at the light end and connectors at the other. I like their quality, ease of install and Black Friday Sales help with the $$$.

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Great advice, thanks! On the wire; Diode Dynamics set comes with the mounting brackets & hardware and a wiring harness...plugs at the light end and connectors at the other. I like their quality, ease of install and Black Friday Sales help with the $$$.
Yes sir! Diode dynamic's light kits are awesome and super high quality. I only use their lights on my truck

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Gonna have to call out Diode Dynamics on that photo. No wire protection loom? lol

They probably just put it on for the picture and didn't actually wire it. =P
Not all that bad if red is your accent colour.
Sponsored