Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I drive conservatively 98% of the time but when I do get on it I’m not getting the PSI I think I should. Usually hit 13.9 to 14.7 PSI and it doesn’t hold long (10 speed?). Anyhow she goes faster than I really need and performs well. I’m not going to race or anything but I am wondering if I’ve got something robbing the power.... thoughts, and what numbers are those that measure seeing?
Sponsored

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
15 PSI seems pretty good to me. Keep in mind that these are small turbos designed to minimize turbo lag as to drive as much like a naturally aspirated engine as possible. It's not a diesel or race-orientated turbo, where 40psi is what you'd expect to see. 15 PSI is basically doubling the amount of air you'd naturally get into the engine, making it equivalent to a 4.6L engine when you need that power.

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
15 PSI seems pretty good to me. Keep in mind that these are small turbos designed to minimize turbo lag as to drive as much like a naturally aspirated engine as possible. It's not a diesel or race-orientated turbo, where 40psi is what you'd expect to see. 15 PSI is basically doubling the amount of air you'd naturally get into the engine, making it equivalent to a 4.6L engine when you need that power.
That's what I figured! I'm amazed at how much I can hear the 'swoosh' when I get on it so when I started measuring the numbers I thought they'd be bigger. I had a 1985 2.3 liter turbo Ford and this is a world of difference. No complaints seriously - still just learning the ecoboost.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
That's what I figured! I'm amazed at how much I can hear the 'swoosh' when I get on it so when I started measuring the numbers I thought they'd be bigger. I had a 1985 2.3 liter turbo Ford and this is a world of difference. No complaints seriously - still just learning the ecoboost.
Are you tuned? I failed to get boost numbers when I was still stock but with a tune, I see 22psi max. I would think you're right in the ball park for where you should be if you are stock/no tune.

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Are you tuned? I failed to get boost numbers when I was still stock but with a tune, I see 22psi max. I would think you're right in the ball park for where you should be if you are stock/no tune.
All stock minus the drop in filter and GFB DV+

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Where are you seeing the boost numbers? Is there a gauge?

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Anything above 2PR (+14.696psi) for a OEM daily driver, without issues, is a good design.
OEM WRX's are about the same too.
2PR must be the max # they are willing to go within their warranty.

In general though, boosted engines will not live as long as NA engines. My Lexus NA v8 is approaching 250k miles w/o any signs of issue. But then again, maybe if you pussy-foot the gas all the time and turbo rarely spools up you can get 300k out of it?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
When I first got the SCT tuner, I hooked it up for the gauges and thought I saw the stock config boost numbers hit 22 psi - I had the GFB DV+ installed.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Are your boost numbers the same between Drive and Sport modes?

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
Keep in mind that the wastegate on these engines is fully electronic. Unlike older ECU’s which have boost targets with physical coil springs installed in the wastegate for a specific PSI, the Ranger ECM varies boost based on a torque target.
With a certain throttle input the ECM will only build enough boost to hit its estimated torque target.

Say you put the truck on a dyno in a controlled pressure chamber. With all conditions being equal, the truck will generate more boost for a specific throttle input at a simulated 10k ft. of elevation than it will at simulated sea level. Same applies for hotter vs colder air temps and wetter vs dryer humidity levels.

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Would you recommend the UltraGuage Blue?
I haven't tried that one. I did use the OBD Fusion app, which is similar, but I felt it was laggy. It may have jsut been my phone/ipad setup honestly. Msfitoy3.0 has a build journal that highlights the app. Worth a look!
Sponsored