First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I always felt the parking sensors were set too close to go off. Which I talked to the dealer about when I bought it, and he said it was the normal distance and I didn’t need to worry it would warn me in enough time that they would save me from hitting anything. And last night it proved my point, I was in the dark in a parking lot I was not familiar with, and while looking for an exit. I found one of the few rather large based light post which had the light burnt out. The sensors didn’t beep until after I hit it. I was just letting the car idle while moving. I now have serious doubts on their usefulness.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I always felt the parking sensors were set too close to go off. Which I talked to the dealer about when I bought it, and he said it was the normal distance and I didn’t need to worry it would warn me in enough time that they would save me from hitting anything. And last night it proved my point, I was in the dark in a parking lot I was not familiar with, and while looking for an exit. I found one of the few rather large based light post which had the light burnt out. The sensors didn’t beep until after I hit it. I was just letting the car idle while moving. I now have serious doubts on their usefulness.
I've never had an issue with mine, use them every time I pull in my garage. I have a saw horse in front of where I park and use the sensors to know I pulled in far enough to clear door coming down. Only issue I've had is the elevation of them. If the object is too high they don't see it. Dropping off yard waste i bumped a semi trailer while backing up to unload. Luckily only a small dent and didn't hit that $1200 taillight. Live and learn.

By the way BLIS has nothing to do with the parking sensors. I'm not even sure it active at slow speed.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I've never had an issue with mine, use them every time I pull in my garage. I have a saw horse in front of where I park and use the sensors to know I pulled in far enough to clear door coming down. Only issue I've had is the elevation of them. If the object is too high they don't see it. Dropping off yard waste i bumped a semi trailer while backing up to unload. Luckily only a small dent and didn't hit that $1200 taillight. Live and learn.

By the way BLIS has nothing to do with the parking sensors. I'm not even sure it active at slow speed.
They do Lee, but the BLISS only pick up cross traffic, and vehicles in your blind spot. The reverse sensors get the stuff behind you. OP, I've never had a problem with the reverse sensors on mine either.

OP, could it have been the angle st which you were rolling towards the light post. I think (but don't know for sure) the front sensors are basically pointed forward, and could have not sensed the post at all. Just wondering.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They do Lee, but the BLISS only pick up cross traffic, and vehicles in your blind spot. The reverse sensors get the stuff behind you. OP, I've never had a problem with the reverse sensors on mine either.

OP, could it have been the angle st which you were rolling towards the light post. I think (but don't know for sure) the front sensors are basically pointed forward, and could have not sensed the post at all. Just wondering.
I stand corrected, never though about the BLIS radar being the cross-traffic sensors. Makes sense.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
It seems to me that the sensors pick up larger flat objects fairly well but vertical cylinders like round light posts don't do so well.

I suppose those round posts were designed for stealth.

OP
OP

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
No i was trying to find an rxit
Thanx for the information, I was doing about 12mph and my sensors didn’t chime until after I hit the rather large bottom of the light which was burnt out. It was drizzling and very dark as well when I turned to try and find an exit out. I feel the sensor should have worked before I hit it, instead of after. I’ve complained about this and other safety issues on this truck, which for some reason never works when I need it to but does when I don’t. Put at least 4-5k worth of damage. And there’s no modifications on the front it’s a 2 wheel drive.

OP
OP

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
so....you were going forward and hit the light post?
I was driving diagonally slightly, and looking forward and alternating to the side to find a way out of the parking lot where the stores had almost all closed. I’m guessing the light was out from neglect or the quit paying their light bill.

OP
OP

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I stand corrected, never though about the BLIS radar being the cross-traffic sensors. Makes sense.
Yeah I got one on the drivers side that picks up cross traffic randomly passing behind me on that side, but the passengers side works great. But if I’m parked and in reverse with the front facing traffic it picks up the cars passing every time. Weird. I also have never been able to get the mist windshield wipers to work. I know they turn on.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No i was trying to find an rxit

Thanx for the information, I was doing about 12mph and my sensors didn’t chime until after I hit the rather large bottom of the light which was burnt out. It was drizzling and very dark as well when I turned to try and find an exit out. I feel the sensor should have worked before I hit it, instead of after. I’ve complained about this and other safety issues on this truck, which for some reason never works when I need it to but does when I don’t. Put at least 4-5k worth of damage. And there’s no modifications on the front it’s a 2 wheel drive.
No offense intended, I'm sorry the manual clearly states less than 5 mph and a sensing distance of 28 inches. Even if they had gone you would not have been able to stop in 28 inches from 12 mph, even if they are enabled at that speed. Sounds like they were working as intended. They are parking assist not collision avoidance. That uses the camera up by the rear view mirror and the ACC sensor if you have one. Probably activates at a higher speed.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah I got one on the drivers side that picks up cross traffic randomly passing behind me on that side, but the passengers side works great. But if I’m parked and in reverse with the front facing traffic it picks up the cars passing every time. Weird. I also have never been able to get the mist windshield wipers to work. I know they turn on.
I know not what this thread is about but what do you mean by mist windshield wipers? If you are talking rain sensing, does your truck have them? Not all do. If yes read that section of your manual.

OP
OP

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
It’s called courtesy wipe and I was told if it’s sensed mist it would activate the windshield wipers

OP
OP

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
No offense intended, I'm sorry the manual clearly states less than 5 mph and a sensing distance of 28 inches. Even if they had gone you would not have been able to stop in 28 inches from 12 mph, even if they are enabled at that speed. Sounds like they were working as intended. They are parking assist not collision avoidance. That uses the camera up by the rear view mirror and the ACC sensor if you have one. Probably activates at a higher speed.
None taken. I appreciate the information. I mistakenly trusted the truck salesman to sell me a truck with the features I requested. Along with the information I was sent to watch in videos. During the minimal test drive. I did voice my concerns but he said it would still do it. The test drive was minimal as the main road to test it on by the dealer was under construction as well.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Pylons in parking lots are not in travel lanes. I'm guessing you were cutting through parking stalls?

I've lost count of the number of accident reports I've done in our local Walmart parking lot alone. During the day. With bright yellow painted pylons.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've lost count of the number of accident reports I've done in our local Walmart parking lot alone. During the day. With bright yellow painted pylons.
Wait, your department does reports on those? Around here that would be "non-reportable". Unless, I guess, someone totaled the car and killed someone when they hit the pole.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, your department does reports on those? Around here that would be "non-reportable". Unless, I guess, someone totaled the car and killed someone when they hit the pole.
Yes they will not let us issue SR-13 (self report of accident) unless its something like a vehicle vs deer. Walmart needs the report to file with corporate for damages to the pylon. In GA we don't have to do an accident report on private or public property if its below $500 in damage and all parties decline wanting one.
Sponsored