fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I had the dealer pull a sample for my first oil change to get a UOA. SO hopefully this oil actually came from my truck, hah!

No fuel in the oil like others have been afraid of. I didn't notice any smell the last time I checked it either. Usual break in wear it looks like. I had 30% life remaining on the OLM, tried to balance changing the factory fill early vs. recommended break in which does not require an early oil change.

Capture.PNG
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I had the dealer pull a sample for my first oil change to get a UOA. SO hopefully this oil actually came from my truck, hah!

No fuel in the oil like others have been afraid of. I didn't notice any smell the last time I checked it either. Usual break in wear it looks like. I had 30% life remaining on the OLM, tried to balance changing the factory fill early vs. recommended break in which does not require an early oil change.

Capture.PNG
Doesn't seem bad at all.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired

Capture.PNG
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious what is the factory recommended break in oil change schedule, and recommended break in routine.

My dealer told me one thing, another something different and I believe the manual says a 3rd thing. Along with my S.O. saying 1000 to 1500 miles the break in oil needs changed.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Just curious what is the factory recommended break in oil change schedule, and recommended break in routine.

My dealer told me one thing, another something different and I believe the manual says a 3rd thing. Along with my S.O. saying 1000 to 1500 miles the break in oil needs changed.
The manuel, iirc, does not have a specific requirement for the first oil change. But I am going to change mine at 3000 miles like I have done for all of my previous new vehicles.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver

I changed mine at 1,100 , just a habbit that i may never break myself of. The more interesting fluid change was the rear diff fluid at 1,200, lots of metal was on the magnet. There is a thread about it: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/differentials-and-transfer-case-fluid-change.2575/

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
I changed mine at 1,100 , just a habbit that i may never break myself of. The more interesting fluid change was the rear diff fluid at 1,200, lots of metal was on the magnet. There is a thread about it: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/differentials-and-transfer-case-fluid-change.2575/
Oh wow, is that the standard fluid change interval Ford recommends? I would look in the manual but thats in the truck and HE has it with HIM at work. Supposedly cause im getting a bbq tonight.... we'll see

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Oh wow, is that the standard fluid change interval Ford recommends? I would look in the manual but thats in the truck and HE has it with HIM at work. Supposedly cause im getting a bbq tonight.... we'll see
I believe Ford just recommends a normal 10,000 interval even for the first oil change. I think the diff fluid they dont recommend changing until 150,000miles, i could be wrong though. I Just have my habits that i always follow.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase

That's all bad info from old school habits and guys that sell oil changes. There is nothing in the manual about break aside from change it when the OLM goes off, which is likely 7.5k to 10k miles. The manual for the vehicle is the only credible source, edited by the engineers who made the vehicle.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
That's all bad info from old school habits and guys that sell oil changes. There is nothing in the manual about break aside from change it when the OLM goes off, which is likely 7.5k to 10k miles.
When i build engines i pull the oil/oil filter after warming up to operating temp, then again at 50 miles, then again at 250 miles, then again at 500 miles. Its amazing what you find when you split the oil filters apart.

Knowing what ive seen, i wonder what the factory has done prior to me getting the vehicle. I feel like on one hand its under warranty, but on the other hand, 10k is a lot of miles for a factory fill and i dont like not knowing what the condition is. Cheap insurance? Maybe. Not necessary? Maybe

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've changed mine every 10k miles since I drove it off the lot and plan to do the same as long as I have it. I'm in no rush to change other fluids since I don't do a lot of towing, but I'll probably do at least the differentials before 150k miles. To each their own though, if you're paying for the vehicle you decide how to maintain it.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
When i build engines i pull the oil/oil filter after warming up to operating temp, then again at 50 miles, then again at 250 miles, then again at 500 miles. Its amazing what you find when you split the oil filters apart.

Knowing what ive seen, i wonder what the factory has done prior to me getting the vehicle. I feel like on one hand its under warranty, but on the other hand, 10k is a lot of miles for a factory fill and i dont like not knowing what the condition is. Cheap insurance? Maybe. Not necessary? Maybe
Yes absolutely, I have heard new motors are spun for hours. Unlike the old days where you got a freshly assembled motor. The work like what you do on rebuilds has already been done for us.

On my tbirds rebuild we ran it at 2k for 20 minutes and changed the oil. Ive changed the oil probably six times in only a few thousand miles. Completely different scenario than a new truck like the Ranger.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
thats what filters do...trap material.
no matter how often you change your filter, the wear still continues. do it daily if you like. it doesnt change a thing except make you paranoid about friction and the result.
takes alot to actually clog a filter....and i'm sure your engine talks to you long before that would happen.
There is also fine material that gets through the filter media more during break-in.

Realistically I didn't intend to start a BITOG style oil debate, but i think as long as your doing it under 10k then you are fuflfilling you duty to maintain the warranty.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Yes absolutely, I have heard new motors are spun for hours. Unlike the old days where you got a freshly assembled motor. The work like what you do on rebuilds has already been done for us.
That would make sense that they do that

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Damn I just got my first oil change done and I could have pulled some oil myself but it just didn't occur to me. I've used Blackstone many times on some of my race bikes. They helped me nail down my oil change frequency with real data and let me know when my engine is getting tired.
Sponsored