Bedrug - full bed ($$$$) vs floor/tailgate ($$)

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
I await my crew cab. Bed is painted, no drop in or sprayed liner. I'll immediately get a canopy and use the truck bed for camping gear, hauling music equipment and less frequent home/yard items - most likely packaged/bagged. No loads of crushed gravel, ragged metal shards, etc.

At minimum, I'd want the 'XLT' version https://bedrug.com/bedrug-xlt-bed-mats/2022/ford/ranger, to fill the floor, tailgate and CRITICALLY the tailgate gap to limit water and dust. Looks like this is $200.

For over double that cost, you can get the full Bedrug to cover the truck bed walls, wheel wells, etc. I don't think I need that level of protection on the walls. My knees won't come in contact with those areas and I'm not as concerned about a plastic tote or a speaker cabinet leaving an occasional scuff in the paint.

Anything I should be considering that I'm not so far that would warrant a doubling of the cost to add Bedrug beyond just the floor/tailgate gap/tailgate?
Sponsored

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I absolutely love my bedrug. I have the one with the tailgate attached. I did not get the sides as I have Molle panels.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
What's with the hump over the tailgate gap? Shouldn't it lay flat when it's open?
When first installed, it has that shape. When you close the tailgate, you press it down into the gap. After the first few weeks, it will retain the memory of bending downwards and you won't need to press it into the gap anymore. When open, it will curve downwards towards the gap from then on.

OP, only you know how you plan to use the bed, so it's hard to make recommendations.

That said, I had the bedrug previously in an F150 and did manage to put a gouge in it with a sharp piece of furniture the one time I was moving stuff. (put a scuff or two in the fender wells, but never the side walls)

For the Ranger, I decided to go with their HD Impact version, that has a skinned polymer top instead of straight carpet. So far I am very happy with it, and believe it will be more durable than the carpet version for sure. (Link below in Sig)

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
When first installed, it has that shape. When you close the tailgate, you press it down into the gap. After the first few weeks, it will retain the memory of bending downwards and you won't need to press it into the gap anymore. When open, it will curve downwards towards the gap from then on.
Ah, ok. It looks so weird in the photos I would have hesitated to buy it.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
If you plan on using for what you say,

I wouldn't dish out the extra 200.

I use my truck for work, and only have a mat and not one of the plastic drop in liners.
My bed is getting trashed, and because i sweep it and wash it out. I only have a thick rubber bed mat.

So if it will only be used for light duty stuff, I personally would not spend the extra 200.
Maybe use the 200 for a drawer type slide out system????

Edit
I would cover the tailgate. It has so much stuff dragged on it, well worth protecting

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
If you haven't ordered already, I'd be happy to see if we can get you a forum pricing deal on the bedrug! Let me know, I'm happy to help.

GreenCreekDucks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT Dude
Picked up a rubber cut mat and a tailgate protector for my truck... $200 total.. Of course I don't haul a bunch of stuff either.. Fishing Poles, kayak etc.. House hold stuff... etc.. etc..

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I got the Bed Rug impact and it has held up really well. I will say that when I installed it I really should have been more careful on the velcro placement on the tail gate section - this was my fault and not a mfg issue.

All in all it is a really good product and works well.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Full Bed Rug Every time, Every truck!

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Full Bed Rug Every time, Every truck!
I have a similar thing in my '72 FJ40 and after 30 years, it's still doing good (some small holes from welding splatter).

I ordered a full BedRug last week, even though I don't have the truck yet. =D

I'm glad to see that others like the BedRug in their Rangers.
Sponsored