First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I just bought a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with a 5 foot bed, and I’m currently shopping around for a bed cover that locks and is easy to access. Does anyone have a good suggestion?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
By bed cover, do you mean flat (Tonneau) or a topper type cover? I just installed a soft cover (search my posts) but that isn't locking, though the gate locks so you may consider that locking. There are hard Tonneau covers that are more secure and combined with the locking gate are better. Some also may have a lock, but I don't know. Depends on what you really want/need.

OP
OP

RangerJoe

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
By bed cover, do you mean flat (Tonneau) or a topper type cover? I just installed a soft cover (search my posts) but that isn't locking, though the gate locks so you may consider that locking. There are hard Tonneau cover that are more secure and combined with the locking gate are better. Some also may have a lock, but I don't know. Depends on what you really want/need.
Looking for a hard cover (tonneau). Just went through a few posts and found the BAKflip MX4 hard cover. I like the this style, but was looking for something a little cheaper.

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Civil Construction Estimator
I just bought a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with a 5 foot bed, and I’m currently shopping around for a bed cover that locks and is easy to access. Does anyone have a good suggestion?
Anything that is hard and secure will not be cheap. I have the Truxedo Sentry which is a roll cover with rigid aluminum slats and the canvas type cover versus vinyl. Have to open the tailgate to release and you cannot cut trough it to access the bed. I like it better than the in the bad retractable as you lose about 20% of the space, also does not block the back window when fully open like the rigid panels do. It was about $850 and installation was very easy, and sits pretty flush to the side rails.

PXL_20210508_222405672.jpg

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Copy. I will tell you what I know. Some of the flush mounts require installing a rail, and that wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a very fast removal and re-install with no additional rail install. I landed on the soft Gator Tri-fold, mainly just to cover the bed for gas mileage (still debatable).

There are hard covers by Gator and others.

Edit: That Tuxedo cover posted above looks nice, but expensive based on what you mentioned as price. You need to land on cost v. options for your tastes.

Last edited:

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Copy. I will tell you what I know. Some of the flush mounts require installing a rail, and that wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a very fast removal and re-install with no additional rail install. I landed on the soft Gator Tri-fold, mainly just to cover the bed for gas mileage (still debatable).

There are hard covers by Gator and others.
Mine has rails, but it also has a quick disconnect, just slide the handle on each side while in the rolled position and it comes right out, the rails stay behind. When ready just drop it back on the tracks, slide the handle to lock in and roll it back out.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Mine has rails, but it also has a quick disconnect, just slide the handle on each side while in the rolled position and it comes right out, the rails stay behind. When ready just drop it back on the tracks, slide the handle to lock in and roll it back out.
I do like the other options on the more expensive models. I edited my post above clarifying what I said for the OP's consideration.

OP
OP

RangerJoe

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Anything that is hard and secure will not be cheap. I have the Truxedo Sentry which is a roll cover with rigid aluminum slats and the canvas type cover versus vinyl. Have to open the tailgate to release and you cannot cut trough it to access the bed. I like it better than the in the bad retractable as you lose about 20% of the space, also does not block the back window when fully open like the rigid panels do. It was about $850 and installation was very easy, and sits pretty flush to the side rails.

PXL_20210508_222405672.jpg
Can you send me a link to the model? I like the way it looks and the fact it doesn’t cover the back window when fully retracted.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Can you send me a link to the model? I like the way it looks and the fact it doesn’t cover the back window when fully retracted.
https://truxedo.com/sentry-ct

I love mine, it is very well built and the fabric looks better than the vinyl, but you can get either with the top(that is just my opinion). They are not cheap, but does give some security and I have not really had any water intrusion that I can see, but I would not say it is completely waterproof, but it does have full weather stripping.

East to roll up and down, and super easy to remove if you need to.

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I'd recommend a truxedo sentry ct or bak revolver x4s.

20210507_094310.jpg

20210507_094212.jpg
Where did you find the flag decal for the useless pass through window? I like that very much. I also have the tailgate letters but I did the Magnetic Gray over Black.

Did you replace the Ford badges or is that an overlay?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I purchased a cover from American Tonneau Company for $250. It was easy to install. When the tailgate is locked, then it blocks access. Other than the price, the reason I got it was so that I could take it off easily and have full access to the bed. It keeps people from seeing into the bed and it is waterproof enough to go through a carwash with only a little seepage on the inside of the tailgate. It is not secure in the sense that anyone with a pocket knife could slash it and get whatever was inside.

If I was shopping for something secure, I would choose the Truxedo Sentry, which seems to be a very nice and secure cover, but for 3x the price. It also looks good and sits nearly flush with the bed-rails. See the previous posts for links.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I got the Tonnosport by Access and it does well. Definitely cheap but it works. Can anyone get into it? Without cutting it no. You have to open the tailgate inorder ro open it.

0424211937_HDR.jpg

0424211937.jpg
Sponsored