Battery Management System - Has it been a success?

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Has the battery management system been a success for Ford owners measurable in longer battery life or just a gimmick and problematic for owners?

I have not experienced any problems with Non BMS vehicle batteries lasting 4-6 years without issue. Both AGM and Costco flood batteries for my vehicles. I googled it and cannot find an answer? From what I have read this has been onboard Ford vehicles since 2011..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjcqPvR8afpAhWIrJ4KHYflA8YQFjASegQIAxAB&url=https://www.noln.net/articles/2122-battery-management-the-challenges-of-a-smart-system&usg=AOvVaw0q_MsZgO113kv5R6ztbqIf

* So Ford owners, HAVE your batteries lasted longer with only a 50% charge rather than a full charge of 12.6 - 13.1 resting?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has the battery management system been a success for Ford owners measurable in longer battery life or just a gimmick and problematic for owners?

I have not experienced any problems with Non BMS vehicle batteries lasting 4-6 years without issue. Both AGM and Costco flood batteries for my vehicles. I googled it and cannot find an answer? From what I have read this has been onboard Ford vehicles since 2011..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjcqPvR8afpAhWIrJ4KHYflA8YQFjASegQIAxAB&url=https://www.noln.net/articles/2122-battery-management-the-challenges-of-a-smart-system&usg=AOvVaw0q_MsZgO113kv5R6ztbqIf

* So Ford owners, HAVE your batteries lasted longer with only a 50% charge rather than a full charge of 12.6 - 13.1 resting?
Hi Dar,

I have had to replace my battery in my Lincoln MKX twice in three years. Package of where the battery is located makes it bake in engine heat. Dealer said...perfectly normal for the battery to only last 2 years???? My 2007 Ranger that spent its life here in AZ if not behind the RV being towed in the 12 years, only had the battery replaced after 8 years. Sum Ting Wong...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well...i was away for 28 days. Truck parked at the airport...and i came back to a dead battery.
So it wasnt managed well...
Hi RP,

My Ranger emailed me from the airport where it was parked after 14 days that it was shutting down to preserve the battery. I am guessing your Ranger did not....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Most people here either use Forscan to turn it off or get a dealer to turn off smart charge. It doesn't seem to play nicely with dual battery setups, or charging trailer batteries. The almost identical Mazda BT 50 model sold here doesn't use it.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
I hate it. Truck operates better when I use a trickle charger to top it off. The locks pop snappier. The lights are brighter. Windows are quicker. Also, when it’s topped off, I can lock and unlock from all 4 door handles. When it’s not topped off I can only do it from the Drivers door. Oh, and the auto start stop starts working again. I can understand them trying to extend battery life, but they set it too low.

been in AZ for 30 years and I’ve never had a batter go over 3 years. That 8 year one Phil had seems like an anomaly.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi RP,

My Ranger emailed me from the airport where it was parked after 14 days that it was shutting down to preserve the battery. I am guessing your Ranger did not....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hi Phil,

Mine did the same when I was gone at Christmas,emailed me after 14 days almost exactly to the hour I originally parked it. But after reading some of the issues here I bought this Smart battery charger & maintainer with my FordPass points just in case. :)

https://accessories.ford.com/catalo...art-battery-charger-maintainer/category/3115/

IMG_2194.jpg

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Can one just not remote start the vehicle? Will run 10min, then stop. Help to keep it charged?

rfmanning

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I hate it. Truck operates better when I use a trickle charger to top it off. The locks pop snappier. The lights are brighter. Windows are quicker. Also, when it’s topped off, I can lock and unlock from all 4 door handles. When it’s not topped off I can only do it from the Drivers door. Oh, and the auto start stop starts working again. I can understand them trying to extend battery life, but they set it too low.

been in AZ for 30 years and I’ve never had a batter go over 3 years. That 8 year one Phil had seems like an anomaly.
Chevy Blazer > 2 F-150's, now a 2020 Ranger. A career as an airline pilot. Job had me leaving my vehicle in airport parking lot for extended times. Arizona kills batteries. The only fix that I found that worked was a solar trickle charger (https://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-62449.html?_br_psugg_q=solar+panel), used religiously. Also, check the water level in the battery monthly. Use ONLY distilled or RO water to top off. AZ water has so many minerals, it kills batteries. YMMV

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just disconnect the software extra plug connection at the battery and it will regulate as normal.

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Just disconnect the software extra plug connection at the battery and it will regulate as normal.
Could you give details about the 'software extra plug connection' at the battery? It would be nice if it's as simple as that to set it back to a normal charging system.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Could you give details about the 'software extra plug connection' at the battery? It would be nice if it's as simple as that to set it back to a normal charging system.
Here ya go..... Just this simple.
Disconnect BMS plug copy.png

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Interesting. Need more info from peeps more knowledgeable than me :idea:
I'm with you Greg. I'm interested in learning more about this system. I already have 2 vehicles that need a battery maintainer, and I just don't want to be bothered with another. If unpluging the system won't hurt anything down the line that's what I'll do, but I would like to have a little more info. before I do that. Maybe @P. A. Schilke (Phil) can help us out. He's probably forgot more about Fords, and stuff like that than I'll ever know.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words.... I have included a document from the Service Manual that gives a overview. I have little familiarity with the 5G Ranger system...quite sophisticated.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Attachments