Battery Management System - Has it been a success?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Better sell all your micro processor controlled battery chargers and go back to the old school fixed output ones too.
I never got rid of my cratsman charger from the 60's. why "fix" something that works?
Sponsored

pbb_photo

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pbbphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4, Technology, Tow, 6ft Bed
Occupation
Photographer
Thanks for the update Pat. How long have you had the plug disconnected? I'm curious as I will be leaving mine parked for approx. 4 weeks soon, and would hate to return home to a brand new truck with a dead battery.
Just a few days now testing my dual battery back up, making sure it gets enough voltage from the main battery to get a full charge. I will plug it back in when not going off grid and leave my second battery at home.

not sure on leaving the truck for a month deal. I feel like either way nothing should be draining your new battery that much.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
WTF is this thread. Its like disabling abs because you think it wears out your brakes faster. Come on.

Better sell all your micro processor controlled battery chargers and go back to the old school fixed output ones too.
Well I can't sell what I don't have, however I do have this, purchased in the 70s and don't need no stinkin micro processor controlled battery charger :)

mycharge.jpg

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Just a few days now testing my dual battery back up, making sure it gets enough voltage from the main battery to get a full charge. I will plug it back in when not going off grid and leave my second battery at home.

not sure on leaving the truck for a month deal. I feel like either way nothing should be draining your new battery that much.
Thanks Pat, I'm not really up to date on this new fangled battery charging system in the Ranger. Even after reading Phil's post I came away kind of stumped. Looks like Ford would just leave well enough alone. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :)

Jqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT 2wd
My question is... when you get the message that your truck is going to deep sleep and shutting off systems- what is it shutting off, and can we shut it off ourselves? I don't particularly need my truck doing anything when I'm not driving it.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Batteries where I live last about 3 years, most of the traffic here is stop and go. Its bad for the engines and the batteries. I have to go out of my way just find open roads to open it sometimes. Maybe why Diesels are in so much demand here. In my manual ity says I have a BMS, however my chassis ground is straight to the post. I dont think I actually has one now, bc I dont have the module on the negative post like you guys. Still searching for more info on it.

IMG_3789.jpg

Last edited:

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I dont think I actually have one now, bc I dont have the module on the negative post like you guys. Still searching for more info on it.
You don't have one. In fact it appears you have a flooded lead-acid battery. In the States we have Absorbed Glass Mat batteries that have slightly different charging requirements.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
You don't have one. In fact it appears you have a flooded lead-acid battery. In the States we have Absorbed Glass Mat batteries that have slightly different charging requirements.
Thank You, you really cant trust manuals 100%

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Batteries where I live last about 3 years, most of the traffic here is stop and go. Its bad for the engines and the batteries. I have to go out of my way just find open roads to open it sometimes. Maybe why Diesels are in so much demand here. In my manual ity says I have a BMS, however my chassis ground is straight to the post. I dont think I actually has one now, bc I dont have the module on the negative post like you guys. Still searching for more info on it.

IMG_3789.jpg
You have proved a point that Ford even thinks it's just fine to not use it . Someone said it talked to the Body Control Module and then to the pcm but that would throw a light and it causes alternator to over charge and destroy the battery and alternator. Well I am unplugging mine for sure now after seeing ford sent some out without. Hehe hope you owned it since new and not a 2nd owner as the 1st owner removed it ?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
You have proved a point that Ford even thinks it's just fine to not use it . Someone said it talked to the Body Control Module and then to the pcm but that would throw a light and it causes alternator to over charge and destroy the battery and alternator. Well I am unplugging mine for sure now after seeing ford sent some out without. Hehe hope you owned it since new and not a 2nd owner as the 1st owner removed it ?
Yes Im orginal owner, keep in mind this is an overseas unit. Also ASS is disabled on units here, from the factory

Reactions: Dmc

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How do you buy stuff with your ford pass points? My dealership seemed confused when I asked. Thank you.
You order the part from the parts dept and when it comes in the cashier will redeem your points using your email on your Ford app. Some dealers still seem to have no clue how to do this and this has been around for at least 8-10 years now, I used it on my 2013 F150. Oh, you can not use them when ordering online only in person. If there's another dealer close by maybe they know how to redeem them? You can go to any dealership. Good luck!

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I keep a jump box in my truck in case I need to go light someone up or help someone in a parking lot with their poorly maintained car (welcome to Atlanta). But also in case I need it. I've had a few vehicles with "smart charging systems" and never had an issue with them. Not expecting to here.
Sponsored