Bad Fuel Injector

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I waited over 5 months to get my Oxford White Lariat 4X2 501A with spray in bed liner.

After having it five days, the Check Engine Light popped up.

The service technician was able to clear the CEL, but after driving a couple of other Rangers on his lot, concluded mine had significantly more hesitation at lower speeds. I had also noticed the hesitation.

Ford Corporate was contacted and the technician was directed to check the fuel injectors.

Sure enough, the #2 fuel injector is needing to be replaced and there are no replacement parts available yet. I must have left a bad tip for a waitress at some point in my life and karma is paying me back big time.
Sponsored

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Mine is also throwing a code for an injector fault, but on the #1 injector. Iā€™m taking mine in on Monday. Replacement parts can always be ā€œfoundā€ if your dealer throws enough of a fit to corporate. Iā€™ve seen that situation more then once. I donā€™t know how long Iā€™ll be in a loaner, but it better not be that long if Iā€™m paying for a vehicle that I canā€™t drive.

Reactions: Ric
OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Mine is also throwing a code for an injector fault, but on the #1 injector. Iā€™m taking mine in on Monday. Replacement parts can always be ā€œfoundā€ if your dealer throws enough of a fit to corporate. Iā€™ve seen that situation more then once. I donā€™t know how long Iā€™ll be in a loaner, but it better not be that long if Iā€™m paying for a vehicle that I canā€™t drive.
I am so disappointed in the product. I havenā€™t bought an American made vehicle in 30 years. Everyone who knows me has heard me brag about the high quality of the foreign vehicles Iā€™ve owned. They hear what happed during the ordering process delays and how my 5 day old truck is in the shop with no timeline for its return and they remind me of my vow not to buy inferior American made vehicles. I convinced myself a Ford truck was a solid buy. Iā€™ll give Ford Corporate a chance to make this right, but Iā€™ll be ready to start letting everyone I know , in every medium possible, my disappointing experience. I would much rather tell folks how Ford made this right.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am so disappointed in the product. I havenā€™t bought an American made vehicle in 30 years. Everyone who knows me has heard me brag about the high quality of the foreign vehicles Iā€™ve owned. They hear what happed during the ordering process delays and how my 5 day old truck is in the shop with no timeline for its return and they remind me of my vow not to buy inferior American made vehicles. I convinced myself a Ford truck was a solid buy. Iā€™ll give Ford Corporate a chance to make this right, but Iā€™ll be ready to start letting everyone I know , in every medium possible, my disappointing experience. I would much rather tell folks how Ford made this right.
Iā€™m a bit different than you in the fact that I have always bought Ford products that were either slightly used or new and this is the soonest Iā€™ve ever had an issue. My first Ford was a ā€˜93 Tempo purchased with about 15,000 miles on it. The little 2.3 4 cyl in that was a bit gutless, but the car was rock solid reliable. I owned it 6 years and I think a new rear lock motor and a rear wheel bearing is all I ever replaced. After that I had a 2000 Sable and that did have a faulty valve train replaced under warranty. It also had a few other issues and I just wasnā€™t happy with the quality of that car. After that I had very good luck with a couple Explorers and then I got into the leasing game. 2008 Fusion not one issue. 2011 Escape only issue was a misaligned steering wheel they fixed right away otherwise perfect. 2014 Explorer. Perfect. 2016 F150. Perfect. 2019 Ranger... weā€™ll see how this repair goes. If they can get it fixed in a timely manner and itā€™s fixed right not a big deal.

So I canā€™t say that Ford vehicles in general have ever given me poor service or been unreliable. I think itā€™ll be interesting how all of the new vehicles foreign or domestic age with everything so technically advanced now. I will say out of all those vehicles I have had this Ranger is my favorite from itā€™s style to itā€™s size. I like it enough that Iā€™ll give it a pass on this if it gets fixed right in a timely manner. Hang in there man.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Iā€™m a bit different than you in the fact that I have always bought Ford products that were either slightly used or new and this is the soonest Iā€™ve ever had an issue. My first Ford was a ā€˜93 Tempo purchased with about 15,000 miles on it. The little 2.3 4 cyl in that was a bit gutless, but the car was rock solid reliable. I owned it 6 years and I think a new rear lock motor and a rear wheel bearing is all I ever replaced. After that I had a 2000 Sable and that did have a faulty valve train replaced under warranty. It also had a few other issues and I just wasnā€™t happy with the quality of that car. After that I had very good luck with a couple Explorers and then I got into the leasing game. 2008 Fusion not one issue. 2011 Escape only issue was a misaligned steering wheel they fixed right away otherwise perfect. 2014 Explorer. Perfect. 2016 F150. Perfect. 2019 Ranger... weā€™ll see how this repair goes. If they can get it fixed in a timely manner and itā€™s fixed right not a big deal.

So I canā€™t say that Ford vehicles in general have ever given me poor service or been unreliable. I think itā€™ll be interesting how all of the new vehicles foreign or domestic age with everything so technically advanced now. I will say out of all those vehicles I have had this Ranger is my favorite from itā€™s style to itā€™s size. I like it enough that Iā€™ll give it a pass on this if it gets fixed right in a timely manner. Hang in there man.
Itā€™s a tough pill to swallow, my having to borrow a car to drop off my very first payment on my Ranger because the Ranger in the repair shop 5 days after I bought it. Time is ticking on my warranty, the Ranger has been in the shop longer than I had possession of it. Come on Ford, you can do better.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
There was a guy that posted in my problem poll thread where I also stated I was getting cold feet.

He had said, " It is so easy to get discouraged and swept into the vortex of escalating negativity. To me, itā€™s all about perspective. My truck has a fuel injector issue which will be resolved. I didnā€™t get a fatal medical diagnosis."

Words of wisdom.....

Good luck with your truck.

Me... still trying hard not to get swept up into that vortex

Last edited:

MadMartigan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For those that are getting the repairs, did your CEL stay on? Mine was on for only 24 hours and went off. Hasn't been back in a week(500) miles. Debating if I should being it in, or wait and see if it comes back on. The code at the time was the bad electrical injector code for #2.

Could be a waste of time as they'll just tell me there's no code present

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that are getting the repairs, did your CEL stay on? Mine was on for only 24 hours and went off. Hasn't been back in a week(500) miles. Debating if I should being it in, or wait and see if it comes back on. The code at the time was the bad electrical injector code for #2.

Could be a waste of time as they'll just tell me there's no code present
Codes will remain stored in the PCU if they are not manually cleared even if the light goes out, but I wouldn't take it back in unless the CEL comes on again. If you have a real problem it'll come back on. Mine came on at around 350 miles then went out a couple days later. It came back on 200 miles later then went out like 3 days later and then last night when I was driving home it came on again so I really do have a problem that needs fixed.

I've had a vehicle or two in the past where a CEL comes on for a little bit and goes out never to be seen again. In those cases I figure the PCU or a sensor just had a one time error and it self corrected. If it stays on for good or keeps coming and going then you have a problem that needs to be fixed. The worse case is if your CEL is flashing. That indicates a misfire condition and that pretty much means you need a tow truck.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
There was a guy that posted in my problem poll thread where I also stated I was getting cold feet.

He had said, " It is so easy to get discouraged and swept into the vortex of escalating negativity. To me, itā€™s all about perspective. My truck has a fuel injector issue which will be resolved. I didnā€™t get a fatal medical diagnosis."

Words of wisdom.....

Good luck with your truck.

Me... still trying hard not to get swept up into that vortex
Iā€™m eating a double decker crow sandwich, but Iā€™m trying to stay positive even though the jeers Iā€™m getting on a daily basis by those close to me. I need the Big Blue Oval to come through for me.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
My last Tacoma sent me back to ford. A bad clutch at 16k that Toyota wouldnā€™t cover, bad leaf springs and catalytic converters that took 4 years to replace. Worst I can say about ford is every v6 I owned had gasket problems.

Give Ford a chance to fix the problem.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Even though this isn't a "new" truck, I think this is one of the potential issues with buying it now. While the problem of the injectors is not good, the bigger issue is the lack of spare parts in the system, and the lack of knowledge in the service departments, requiring a call to corporate for guidance. That just extends the time that the trucks are in the shop.

I think in another 6 months (hopefully) things like this will be better understood and there will be parts available for faster turnaround fixes.

At the end of the day, some of this is just a by product of the hi tech stuff in the vehicles. Things either work or they don't - there isn't a lot of middle ground.

I feel for you guys - it sucks, but hang in there. I just passed 1000 miles with no issues and still loving driving my truck. I have zero regrets.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think in another 6 months (hopefully) things like this will be better understood and there will be parts available for faster turnaround fixes.
All I know is it better not take 6 months to get it fixed!!! I know that's not what you meant, but Ford does need to do what it takes to get these parts to customers as quickly as they can because vehicles spending weeks out of service is unacceptable new model or not.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is it better not take 6 months to get it fixed!!! I know that's not what you meant, but Ford does need to do what it takes to get these parts to customers as quickly as they can because vehicles spending weeks out of service is unacceptable new model or not.
Totally agree. Hopefully the parts will be getting distributed quickly and you all will get your trucks back soon.

Just for grins I searched RockAuto and they showed the injectors as out of stock as well.....

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Ford currently has 70 fuel injectors in stock at the Detroit warehouse.This could have happened recently or in the past couple of days (I just checked today). If the dealer ordered it correctly (there isn't any reason to think they didn't) they should have your fuel injector in today or tomorrow. If not then you might want to shake the tree a little. As of right now, it is one day out on a priority order.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I waited over 5 months to get my Oxford White Lariat 4X2 501A with spray in bed liner.

After having it five days, the Check Engine Light popped up.

The service technician was able to clear the CEL, but after driving a couple of other Rangers on his lot, concluded mine had significantly more hesitation at lower speeds. I had also noticed the hesitation.

Ford Corporate was contacted and the technician was directed to check the fuel injectors.

Sure enough, the #2 fuel injector is needing to be replaced and there are no replacement parts available yet. I must have left a bad tip for a waitress at some point in my life and karma is paying me back big time.
Who makes the fuel injectors? Anyone know the source?

I feel the OP and this sucks, but parts do go bad. You can have brand new sensor installed and have it fail after 5 miles.

Sounds to me like this is a bad batch of injectors from the supplier. Not much Ford can do but replace.
Sponsored