First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I scrolled through this thread this morning. As I progressed and the convo became more and more political, I was sure that when I came to the last post it would be something along the lines of...

This thread closed for further discussion.

BTW, have owned a Malibu ECO, a mild hybrid, for over ten years. I don't think it gets much better mileage in city driving than the Toyota Camry it replaced. It does get over 40 mpg on highway trips. And that's at 70 mph.

If I was still doing a daily commute of 20 miles or so, I would for sure consider a plug-in hybrid.

When I had my own business, I used the section 179 tax breaks and depreciation advantages to their fullest. Never felt guilty.
While it is dancing the line it hasn't crossed it just yet. Some subjects especially anything related to EV's is going to have some politics because of the way it's being forced on us right now. It's hard to read an article without something in in being said politically when it comes to EV's. Plus all the incentives for both the vehicles and the mining are unfortunately politicized. I think most here know where to draw the line and keep it from being a left/right argument. But there's some who still need a little reminder once in a while too. :wink:

I will say I feel the same as you taking every legal deduction. If they're there I'm taking them and don't feel one bit guilty either. You (not you personally) would be a fool to leave all that money on the table by not taking them. As someone else said if you're that concerned just opt out of all your deductions and pay through the nose. I've yet to hear of anyone ever doing this. :cool:
Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
While it is dancing the line it hasn't crossed it just yet. Some subjects especially anything related to EV's is going to have some politics because of the way it's being forced on us right now. It's hard to read an article without something in in being said politically when it comes to EV's. Plus all the incentives for both the vehicles and the mining are unfortunately politicized. I think most here know where to draw the line and keep it from being a left/right argument. But there's some who still need a little reminder once in a while too. :wink:

I will say I feel the same as you taking every legal deduction. If they're there I'm taking them and don't feel one bit guilty either. You (not you personally) would be a fool to leave all that money on the table by not taking them. As someone else said if you're that concerned just opt out of all your deductions and pay through the nose. I've yet to hear of anyone ever doing this. :cool:
Chiming in here as we have a 2023 Escape PHEV on order. Why you may ask? Because it makes sense for our situation and use habits for that vehicle. Probably would still buy it without the tax credit. But like you say if it’s available we would take it. Everyone had the option to return the Covid money they were sent in the last few years. Haven’t heard of anyone doing so. So let’s all try not to be hypocritical.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Chiming in here as we have a 2023 Escape PHEV on order. Why you may ask? Because it makes sense for our situation and use habits for that vehicle. Probably would still buy it without the tax credit. But like you say if it’s available we would take it. Everyone had the option to return the Covid money they were sent in the last few years. Haven’t heard of anyone doing so. So let’s all try not to be hypocritical.
I would be sleeping overnight at the dealer if a PHEV Ranger were coming out at the launch. I know it's slated for 2025 and depending on the Raptor price I still might be doing that. lol

That's why I said in my post that's I've yet to hear anyone doing this. Whether they realize it or not they're doing the same but in different circumstances. Now I'm not disagreeing that there shouldn't be any incentives (if a product is so great it should sell itself) but if they're there I'm taking all I can get.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I would be sleeping overnight at the dealer if a PHEV Ranger were coming out at the launch. I know it's slated for 2025 and depending on the Raptor price I still might be doing that. lol

That's why I said in my post that's I've yet to hear anyone doing this. Whether they realize it or not they're doing the same but in different circumstances. Now I'm not disagreeing that there shouldn't be any incentives (if a product is so great it should sell itself) but if they're there I'm taking all I can get.
Yeah your tent would be behind mine ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
FYI, all deductions are optional including the std. deduction. Anyone can pay full price if they choose. Be a “patriot”, pay full price and take zero of any optional deduction, standard or otherwise. Doing this will maintain your personal scruples. But wishing for a flat tax will only hurt those that dont already have the means, such as seniors on a fixed income. Because a flat tax will be on EVERYTHING, medications, food, medical care etc.
You're talking about a value added tax.

I'm talking about a flat income tax. Two very different things.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/flat-vs-value-added-tax-definition-examples.html#:~:text=While the flat tax is,the consumer buyers the good.

While the flat tax is a tax on income, a value-added tax is a tax on consumption or sales. But, unlike a sales tax, it is assessed at each stage of the production process, not just when the consumer buyers the good.
Standard deductions are there for every tax filer. There is nothing inherently unfair about a standard deduction.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I posted somewhere in another thread about my apprehension with EV's and long drives. I also posted a video of a Youtuber that drove from Illinois to Florida in a Hyundai Ionic EV. With proper planning and use of DC fast charging, he made it in the same time as it would have taken if he drove an ICE. The key was not to wait until it got down to 20% and the car needed charging, but to stop every couple of hours and top off the charge in a quick 10-15 minute break. That video quelled my fears of long-range drives in an EV, but I am still not ready to buy into it because of the prices of EV's and the uncertainty of battery life and resale value.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
My EV thoughts:
They have their place. Mostly mid size or less passenger vehicles. Power requirements, driven in "chill mode" will allow decent range for the average driver's use.
If you get one around $30K it could pay for itself in gas savings.....after a long life. ...don't forget to include the cost of a home charger.
But for pickup trucks that haul and tow, range limits you to a very short drive before recharge.
I've done the calcs on my Ranger towing our boat 112 mi one way @ 14 mpg, or 2.41 kW/mi. A 240 kWh battery would be required. I believe best available is Tesla's 110 kWh battery.
If someone is a lifestyle pickup owner, a EV would work, but not be very practical. @ 24 mpg gas or 1.4 kW/mi, you would only have 70 miles to look cool.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9,000 lbs, 0-60 in 3 seconds...

Yawn.
EV mfgrs, starting with Tesla, tout their performance.
Others mention performance and range. Erm, that is performance OR range.
EV drive motors produce tremendous, flat curve torque. But power is power, hp or kWh. And they are thirsty either way. Very thirsty at max output.
Put the above guy with his Hummer against an Eco boost F150. He'll win the first few drag races. Then the F150 will continue until all the EV fanboys go home and then tow that 9000# home.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yawn.
EV mfgrs, starting with Tesla, tout their performance.
Others mention performance and range. Erm, that is performance OR range.
EV drive motors produce tremendous, flat curve torque. But power is power, hp or kWh. And they are thirsty either way. Very thirsty at max output.
Put the above guy with his Hummer against an Eco boost F150. He'll win the first few drag races. Then the F150 will continue until all the EV fanboys go home and then tow that 9000# home.
As I've mentioned previously...nothing like a green statement like a 9,000 lb EV that takes 5 days to charge...makes the attendants of DAVOS all flying in with their own private jets make perfect sense eh?

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I've mentioned previously...nothing like a green statement like a 9,000 lb EV that takes 5 days to charge...makes the attendants of DAVOS all flying in with their own private jets make perfect sense eh?
I haven't been following you. ...seems we're on the same side here.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Why would it take 5 days to charge a HMMV? Are those battery packs really that huge, or are they charging via USB?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Why would it take 5 days to charge a HMMV? Are those battery packs really that huge, or are they charging via USB?
That's what some YTbers are reporting...I don't have one to verify lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.