OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I think that is a good price for what you ended up with; basically a camper that will go anywhere. Try doing that with a purpose built rig and I'd be surprised if you would be able to get in for under $150,000.

I agree with you on the financing thing. When possible, I pay cash for everything. If I can't afford it I wont buy it and I don't carry any debt. Not a brag. I was in debt for most of my teens and all of my twenties and most of my thirties. I'm 40 and debt free!

I would LOVE to build out a rig like yours. But...

But I would have to buy a whole 'nother Ranger to use for truck stuff. Now I'm two Rangers into the cost equation and that just doesn't work!
I feel ya on the debt thing. I look back at my 20s and realize I should have saved more for retirement and not wasted so much money, oh well.

I also sympathize on the idea of losing the truck aspect of A truck. Even simple things like taking recycling is a touch harder now.

I did indeed compare this kind of build to a typical 4x4camper van that is all the rage right now. For the versatility and”luxury” I wanted I do think I came out ok. I can go more places than a 4x4 Sprinter. The next step for me would be the smallest EarthRoamer truck I could get them to make me.
Sponsored

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
That's definitely a sweet road cooking setup!
Threw a pork roast and some peppers in there the other day before a hike and had pulled pork sandwiches when I got back from the summit. Can’t ask for me. 200 shipped form AUS is a steal!

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
Hello from a fellow Ranger/AluCab Canopy Camper!

We're also excitedly waiting for the heater fit kit.

Hopefully this weekend will be the install of solar panels to prep for battery and fridge.

1599757739674.png
Super jealous of both of y’alls setup!
Do you know how much those Icon wheels weigh?
I’m looking to run a set of flow formed wheels for weight saving.
Thinking about Black Rhino Chase, or Stadium wheels, Enkei RPT1s, or the holy grail Volk TE37XTs. TIA!

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Super jealous of both of y’alls setup!
Do you know how much those Icon wheels weigh?
I’m looking to run a set of flow formed wheels for weight saving.
Thinking about Black Rhino Chase, or Stadium wheels, Enkei RPT1s, or the holy grail Volk TE37XTs. TIA!
I definitely measured them before they were mounted but can't find any notes on it.

The wheels plus tires are low 80s and the tires are supposed to be 55lbs so I'd say upper 20s-30?

OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
The other day I retrofit my backup camera into the back of the AluCab. After multiple Rostra extension kits caused issues or broke, I gave up.
I used the factory camera. The guidelines are a little messed up because it’s meant to mount at a different angle, but at least it works.
Also got out for a little mtn coffee and relax session to enjoy the fall colors.

330E803F-92AF-4FA4-B732-51910C00B998.jpeg

B7136EA3-40FE-446B-AB54-CAEDD8053399.jpeg

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
That is neat. Not my thing, but neat.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you do me a favor and snap some pics of the sleeping arrangements for that setup? As much as I would really, really, really like to get that setup for myself, realistically it will probably never happen. But I'm curious! Thank you!

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Can you do me a favor and snap some pics of the sleeping arrangements for that setup? As much as I would really, really, really like to get that setup for myself, realistically it will probably never happen. But I'm curious! Thank you!
I don't have many photos of the bed area but here are a couple. J Galt may have more.

First one is looking from the hatch toward the front/toe of the bed before we got a comforter. The second is sitting up top looking out the windows.

IMG_20200702_225450.jpg

PANO_20200726_082136.vr.jpg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have many photos of the bed area but here are a couple. J Galt may have more.

First one is looking from the hatch toward the front/toe of the bed before we got a comforter. The second is sitting up top looking out the windows.

IMG_20200702_225450.jpg

PANO_20200726_082136.vr.jpg
Looks really nice! I like the storage pockets up top. I assume it has a pad to lay on?

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Looks really nice! I like the storage pockets up top. I assume it has a pad to lay on?
The storage pockets are really nice and there are also pre-installed USB outlets up top.

It came with a 3" mattress and we added a 2" mattress topper.

OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I’ll see if I can pop it up for some pics, but I doubt I’ll have time. I will be THAT guy and say the ok4wd.com has pretty good pics of it. Any AluCab canopy camper is the same no matter what it’s on. Many YouTube videos of them on Tacoma’s.

OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
GP Factor install kit for the Dickinson heater arrived. From start to finish wiring it took me the better part of 6 hours. Getting the right fitting and hose length was a bit of a pain. I think it's a very clean install and the heater puts out some heat! Props to Rin from OK4WD for making this happen!
I know not many, if anyone else, will purchase this setup, but it is very light, convenient, and clean.

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0785.jpeg

IMG_0786.jpeg
Sponsored