Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
"I don't even know..."

"We're gonna know a lot in a minute."

That's What I love about Matt. Sometime's you've gotta stop brain fucking it and do it!
Sponsored

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Crap, it doesn't have the Dynapro ATMs on it. I need to think of a new excuse........

Yes, I have an ever burning, undying hatred for those stupid Hankooks. Very VERY questionable snow traction at best.
Well, kook is right there in the name...

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Matt got a Ranger out from a closed road.

Who it was?

This has got to be one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen. Everyone standing around just waiting for the ball to shear and go through one or several of them? And they do this for a living?

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This has got to be one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen. Everyone standing around just waiting for the ball to shear and go through one or several of them? And they do this for a living?
Yes lots of pros hook to trailers hitches. Lots of amateurs and people who have never, or likely will never recover a vehicle, fear monger the dangers of doing it.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes lots of pros hook to trailers hitches. Lots of amateurs and people who have never, or likely will never recover a vehicle, fear monger the dangers of doing it.
Doesn't make it safe, and pointing that out hardly qualifies as fear mongering. As to experience, I used to run an M816 wrecker for the AF so I do know a little bit about whereof I speak. I also once saw the remains of an Army AIT Soldier who was mashed to death by the end of a snapped tow cable because he stood inside the cable length distance during a recovery. Everyone else was doing that too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't make it safe. I used to run an M816 wrecker for the AF so I do know a little bit about whereof I speak. I also once saw the remains of an Army AIT Soldier who was mashed to death by the end of a snapped tow cable because he stood inside the cable length distance during a recovery. Everyone else was doing that too.
That tow ball likely had less than 500lbs force on it, he was barely stuck and the pull was more to prevent sliding in the ditch.

Sorry to hear about the soldier. Steel cable? They are dangerous with large loads and stored energy. Synthetics are far less so, especially with very little load.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'm not worried about the ball handling the load. I'm more worried about the 2" square tube separating at the hitch pin hole, thats likely the weakest point.
Too many pulls will start to elongate the hole from the forces transferred through the pin and then you've compromised the strength of the square tube.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm not worried about the ball handling the load. I'm more worried about the 2" square tube separating at the hitch pin hole, thats likely the weakest point.
Too many pulls will start to elongate the hole from the forces transferred through the pin and then you've compromised the strength of the square tube.
Which plays into the difference between lightly loaded synthetic line on a winch, and high load kinetic jobs.The entire hitch assembly is rated for 6,000lbs or more, and so is the receiver. You could pull that truck out of that postition thousands of times without issue.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Not me. Mines a pavement princess.
The most offroading I've ever done was driving through my father's backyard the other day, delivering his new spa cover for him. He got annoyed when I asked him if we should spin a couple of donuts.
I think I need to wash her again.
Poor thing, everything gonna be OK soon...

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Which plays into the difference between lightly loaded synthetic line on a winch, and high load kinetic jobs.The entire hitch assembly is rated for 6,000lbs or more, and so is the receiver. You could pull that truck out of that postition thousands of times without issue.
in this case I agree, there wasnt much concern with what this guy did.
but in general, I'm sure it would be rare to find the hitch ball with a sheared shank laying on the ground. Most likely it would still be attached to the broken tube.

Ive seen enough running start tugs to make me cringe, but yet lots of people still think its a good idea. Desperate measures for desperate time

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
My call-out on the tow ball is pretty simple. On a truck like the ranger that has relatively exposed frame and the tow receiver itself to attach to, why risk it. Not necessarily in this case, but for the average Joe trying to unstuck his buddy just make a safer choice. It's not worth the risk for a novice.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Knew a guy once that was a scollop fisherman. They used 5/8” steel cables to pull in the dragging nets. On deck during a haul one of the cables broke. The whiplash came back on the crew. He got the severed cable end wrapped around his face. Without getting into the gore his face and scalp were separated. The cable kept going and cut the wheel house of the boat almost clean off. He was air lifted and after 1000’s of stitches has the scars to show what a bad ass he was. Got a huge insurance settlement out of the ordeal. Lesson learned was on every outing watch the cables as the pay out for damage or kinks. Only takes one time!