First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
Crap, it doesn't have the Dynapro ATMs on it. I need to think of a new excuse........

Yes, I have an ever burning, undying hatred for those stupid Hankooks. Very VERY questionable snow traction at best.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Crap, it doesn't have the Dynapro ATMs on it. I need to think of a new excuse........

Yes, I have an ever burning, undying hatred for those stupid Hankooks. Very VERY questionable snow traction at best.
I have to agree with you on how craptastic the factory Hankook tires are.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't me, but I did a similar thing with my 2005 Ranger many years ago - although not quite as bad as this one. We were able to extricate it without calling a recovery company.

When you try and go low below the snow it is easy to spin your rear tires off the road - and snow like that (half melted) is REALLY hard to get traction in.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Dude hooked up that line directly to the hitch ball and I was waiting for someone to die. Luckily there wasn't a lot of tension on that line. Please dont do this if you're recovering someone on your own.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Dude hooked up that line directly to the hitch ball and I was waiting for someone to die. Luckily there wasn't a lot of tension on that line. Please dont do this if you're recovering someone on your own.
Hitch balls are more than adequate for most recovery jobs. The average 2" ball is good for 6000 lbs.

Here is the idiot supreme, Ronnie Dahl trying trying to break one, taking 30 foot, full throttle running starts. The first 7 attempts he is stopped dead at the end of the strap and he was about to give up because the rest of the truck was breaking apart. Then he noticed the tow ball was loose and half broken so he hits it again, and got the video shot he was looking for.

If you use your head and proper technique, like a winch, safety blanket, and not standing in the danger zone, as opposed to a tow or kinetic strap and full throttle 8 times, they are more than adequate for most moderately stuck vehicles.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Expensive mistake...
Although I can't say for sure on every job, but I don't think Matt charges for most recovery jobs because he does so well on YouTube income. I believe Rory @ TowMater is the same.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hitch balls are more than adequate for most recovery jobs. The average 2" ball is good for 6000 lbs.

Here is the idiot supreme, Ronnie Dahl trying trying to break one, taking 30 foot, full throttle running starts. The first 7 attempts he is stopped dead at the end of the strap and he was about to give up because the rest of the truck was breaking apart. Then he noticed the tow ball was loose and half broken so he hits it again, and got the video shot he was looking for.

If you use your head and proper technique, like a winch, safety blanket, and not standing in the danger zone, as opposed to a tow or kinetic strap and full throttle 8 times, they are more than adequate for most moderately stuck vehicles.

A tow boll with a 6000 LBS rating is not meant for 6000 LBS of recovery force. A 6000 LB trailer being pulled vs recovering a stuck vehicle will be totally different. That is why we do things like using recover points and hitch shackles. They are much safer to use and have way less chance of failing like a tow ball in a recovery
Sponsored