First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue Ford Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
US Air Force
I don't know if I speak for my XL/XLT brothers and sisters, but I am DYING to swap out the ugly reflector style headlight assemblies with the more modern projector style. And $1500 for just one Lariat replacement from Ford is just out of the question.

So aside from risking getting some EU/AUS/Asia spec headlights from eBay and hoping they work...does anybody have any info about if any aftermarket companies are working to produce some projector style headlights for the US Ranger?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I find the xenon lamps to be more attractive than the Lariat led version...maybe I'm getting old:wink:

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The mustang lights from Australia can be made to work electrically. However, the fitment is not correct. I'm actually thinking of gutting my stock reflector housings installing some projectors. Just afraid of it looking like a retrofit instead of a custom job, yanno ?

OP
OP
whitegk

whitegk

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US Air Force
The mustang lights from Australia can be made to work electrically. However, the fitment is not correct. I'm actually thinking of gutting my stock reflector housings installing some projectors. Just afraid of it looking like a retrofit instead of a custom job, yanno ?
I've tried the modding some headlights on my old fusion using the oven method. Long story short, I messed them up because I didn't put the headlight housing on a pan and the housing started to melt through the oven grates. :) so I don't think I'm gonna try that again

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I've tried the modding some headlights on my old fusion using the oven method. Long story short, I messed them up because I didn't put the headlight housing on a pan and the housing started to melt through the oven grates. :) so I don't think I'm gonna try that again
I baked a set of mustang style lights for the Ranger. I placed it on cardboard and had no issues, the permaseal however, ugh...

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looking into the universals a D2S kit with square lenses would probably best fit our trucks looks. I wonder if we need Canbus' or Relays to prevent service lights.

OP
OP
whitegk

whitegk

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US Air Force
Looking into the universals a D2S kit with square lenses would probably best fit our trucks looks. I wonder if we need Canbus' or Relays to prevent service lights.
I'm not too sure about that. Maybe someone else with more knowledge on the subject could chime in. But for me personally, I'm also looking for the LED DRL accent or strip, or whatever it's called, in addition to projector lenses. Similar to what's on the Lariat trim. So I think the best path for me is getting a whole new assembly.

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not too sure about that. Maybe someone else with more knowledge on the subject could chime in. But for me personally, I'm also looking for the LED DRL accent or strip, or whatever it's called, in addition to projector lenses. Similar to what's on the Lariat trim. So I think the best path for me is getting a whole new assembly.
Im just going to replace the High and DRL with LED bulbs I think.

I've used the Morimoto Mini H1 5.0? Kit on a 1989 BMW and got impressive results for the money so I am not afraid of trying out their new Mini D2S Kit.

Probably wouldn't hurt to put a canbus in the harness, on the 1989 it prevents the 'bulb out' warning light from coming up when you turn them off because of HID's weird voltage behavior on start and stop.

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
If someone does go ahead and try one of the Retrofit kits you should let us know if you have to cut out material in the housing or not. Would be nice if the hole in back of housing is big enough for the typical clamp on conversion.

Deleted member 1634

Reviving this thread. We need this to happen.
This! I didn't even know this thread existed but it is essentially what I want. I just want projectors in the XLT housing, or a projector housing that doesn't look too gaudy or flashy. I don't want the LED DRL strip, and I want the turn lamps to light as parking lights, which is why I'm not even considering a Lariat swap. Plus they're way expensive. Anyways, I'll be following this closely to see what comes of it. Hopefully someone more bolder than I can find a solution. haha

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Makes pizzas taste funny after that, too.

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Im still undecided if I want to do a retrofit or get lariats and modify them a bit. My problem with the lariat headlights is they look just as dated as the XL/XLT lights. Reminds me of early audi DRLs. Im wondering if they can be split open and an opaque piece of acrylic layered over the DRLs to give it that single smooth strip look.
Sponsored