Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2 White and 2013 Edge Sport White
Occupation
Support Engineer
Hi All,
I recently purchased a 2021 XLT FX2 that does not have the tow package. I've been looking for an aftermarket class IV hitch to install but can only seem to find class III hitches for the Ranger. Does anyone know where to source a class IV hitch from? Is it needed or will class III suffice? The tow package from the factory has a class IV.
Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi All,
I recently purchased a 2021 XLT FX2 that does not have the tow package. I've been looking for an aftermarket class IV hitch to install but can only seem to find class III hitches for the Ranger. Does anyone know where to source a class IV hitch from? Is it needed or will class III suffice? The tow package from the factory has a class IV.
Thanks!!!!
Class III will max out the trucks GCWR with ease, so I wouldn't worry about getting a Class IV one because it's one better.

The truck will already be overloaded before you max out anything in Class III (like the curt bar or the OEM bumper bar).

Also, the aftermarket ones hang down a little low, so if you want to retain departure angle, try and find the OEM bar.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
OP
OP

Kaveman

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2 White and 2013 Edge Sport White
Occupation
Support Engineer
Thanks for the info! The OEM bar will it interfere with the bumper on the non trailer package? Looks like there is a notch in the bottom of the bumper for the hitch to sit more flush that is not on my bumper.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! The OEM bar will it interfere with the bumper on the non trailer package? Looks like there is a notch in the bottom of the bumper for the hitch to sit more flush that is not on my bumper.
The OEM bumper is basically entirely replaced by the OEM hitch minus a few pieces of plastic.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Class III will max out the trucks GCWR with ease, so I wouldn't worry about getting a Class IV one because it's one better.
AFAIK, SAE J684 specifies class III as 5000 pounds, which is less than the rating of the ranger. I know that some manufacturers seem to have redefined class III for their products but I wouldn't use anything that says "class III" for more than 5k pounds without everything being explicitly labeled as having a higher rating. Per the standard, the ranger should be using a class IV hitch (rated between 5000 and 10000 pounds, up to the vehicle rating) for max tow.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFAIK, SAE J684 specifies class III as 5000 pounds, which is less than the rating of the ranger. I know that some manufacturers seem to have redefined class III for their products but I wouldn't use anything that says "class III" for more than 5k pounds without everything being explicitly labeled as having a higher rating. Per the standard, the ranger should be using a class IV hitch (rated between 5000 and 10000 pounds, up to the vehicle rating) for max tow.

I wasn't aware of the "redefining" I got my information off this site https://hitchhousega.com/hitch-types/trailer-hitch-class-models/

Defines class III as up to 8000# equipment depending. The Ranger's OEM hitch is defined as ClassIII from what I understand as well.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I wasn't aware of the "redefining" I got my information off this site https://hitchhousega.com/hitch-types/trailer-hitch-class-models/

Defines class III as up to 8000# equipment depending. The Ranger's OEM hitch is defined as ClassIII from what I understand as well.
yes, and if you look for SAE J684 you'll find that class III is defined as 5000 pounds. I don't know what's going on with some of the 3rd party hitch dealers; I assume there's a story there but I don't know what it is. You'll also find that the various manufacturers aren't even agreeing about what "class iii" means--some will say 5k, some 6k, some 8k, etc. There are also some that claim that their product can do 10k on a ranger with a WDH--which exceeds the vehicle rating. Mostly I think that the stuff on the web sites is BS. I think I've even seen some cases where the printed material matches the SAE language and contradicts the web site.

Ford calls the OEM a class iv. This one is called a class iv: https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_IV_Custom_Fit_Trailer_Hitch_Receiver,R3-0480 Bottom line: "they" have screwed up the "class" language, probably for marketing reasons and because once someone started it they all had to keep up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow_hitch#Trailer_hitch_classes
Sponsored