Advice for towing sons car/loaded

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I am currently in San Antonio and will be moving to Montgomery, AL. My plan is to load my son's ford fiesta with electronics and clothes and tow it with my Ranger. Anyone done anything similar, or have advice on how to do this? I have a Lariat and have added a Ford installed hitch. I don't have the tow package, but I do have trailer options in the cab of the truck.

v/r
Sponsored

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
A weight distribution hitch goes a long way. Lock out 8/9/10 gears, it will use substantially less boost on the highway, and improve milage/reduce lugging the engine. In reality, you’re not even taxing the truck with an open flat deck trailer, towing a car like that.

Deleted member 1634

A weight distribution hitch goes a long way. Lock out 8/9/10 gears, it will use substantially less boost on the highway, and improve milage/reduce lugging the engine. In reality, you’re not even taxing the truck with an open flat deck trailer, towing a car like that.
An easy way to do something like this is to just put the truck into tow/haul mode. That way the truck will utilize the power and gears in the most efficient way on it's own without you having to worry about anything.

CAR.ADDICT

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger/2003 BMW M3
Occupation
System Engineering
Won't be an issue at all. Towed my M3 to Sebring just recently. Truck was loaded with the whole family and bed full of track day tools and such. Enjoy the trip; The Ranger will do the rest. Just plan for more gas stops.
1603200343893.png
l

OP
OP
d_ganggreen

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Awesome! Thanks everyone, this is really great information. I am wondering now though if I should let my wife tow his car with her Ford Edge Titanium and I pull a bigger uhaul trailer w/more stuff in it.

v/r

k1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Awesome! Thanks everyone, this is really great information. I am wondering now though if I should let my wife tow his car with her Ford Edge Titanium and I pull a bigger uhaul trailer w/more stuff in it.

v/r
I would suggest you tow which ever is heavier with the truck.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An easy way to do something like this is to just put the truck into tow/haul mode. That way the truck will utilize the power and gears in the most efficient way on it's own without you having to worry about anything.
If you put it in tow/haul, the truck will still go into the higher gears, it doesn’t lock them out. When you have gauges to monitor, you’ll see elevated water temps, and higher boost pressures, while in the higher gears.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DB88C975-C6B0-48CE-A670-64316B7151A6.jpeg

I regularly haul my racecar 8+hrs one way to the racetrack. I’ve always noticed the best fuel economy in 7th gear, at 110kph

Deleted member 1634

If you put it in tow/haul, the truck will still go into the higher gears, it doesn’t lock them out. When you have gauges to monitor, you’ll see elevated water temps, and higher boost pressures, while in the higher gears.
True, it doesn't lock out the gears, but it does hold them longer and into higher revs. I've noticed I'll be cruising in 8th gear in tow/haul when usually I'd be in 10th in regular Drive. My point was that it's an easy compromise to just push the tow/haul button and let the truck do it's thing, which it is very good at. That's all, just giving OP another option.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
True, it doesn't lock out the gears, but it does hold them longer and into higher revs. I've noticed I'll be cruising in 8th gear in tow/haul when usually I'd be in 10th in regular Drive. My point was that it's an easy compromise to just push the tow/haul button and let the truck do it's thing, which it is very good at. That's all, just giving OP another option.
Locking out higher gears is very easy in Drive. Just push the minus button on the shifter. The first press will bring up the gear numbers in the dash. Each additional press will lock out a gear from the top down. Press the plus button an it will unlock a gear. Works with or without the tow button pushed.

Deleted member 1634

Locking out higher gears is very easy in Drive. Just push the minus button on the shifter. The first press will bring up the gear numbers in the dash. Each additional press will lock out a gear from the top down. Press the plus button an it will unlock a gear. Works with or without the tow button pushed.
I know. I've done that before, usually when trying to force engine braking going down steep hills. Each option is easy enough. I just wanted to make sure OP knew about the tow/haul mode, what it does, and how it helps. Since, in the end, that's what the mode is for, towing and hauling, so might as well use it when doing those activities. I guess I just seem to have more faith and confidence in that mode than others apparently.
Sponsored