First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Thanks for that post, I was thinking rear glass, but that is even better.

OK, I was not wanting to get it with default location, But after reading that it works like a "code" activated key fob and seeing it mounted in other locations, my Ford Rewards from purchase will be getting me that.

Is this accessory one that I can self program with Forscan?
That $10.00 for installation means they're going to walk over to your truck and stick it on there, programming is extra. Phil @P. A. Schilke has one and can't use it because they're going to charge him $100 so it's sitting as a paperweight now. :sadface:
If the dealer is going to charge you, you should be able to use points to pay it totally or at least partially offset the cost.
I use mine almost daily to lock my Ranger running while doing short errands, so I left mine attached to the door.

For 2022, the bezel is now color matched- wish they had it incorporated in the B pillar like F-Series.
Sponsored

a1z2s3x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 | 2022 Ford F350
I bought a keypad from Levittown Ford recently. I installed it in the factory location and then took the truck to a nearby dealer. Don't forget to bring the card that comes with the keypad, which contains the 48 character code that Ford needs to add it to the truck with FDRS. They successfully programmed it and charged me an hour labor @ $125. I was able to pay it all in Ford points (25,000).

NJJoeg

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I don't have a keypad but this video might work.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I bought a keypad from Levittown Ford recently. I installed it in the factory location and then took the truck to a nearby dealer. Don't forget to bring the card that comes with the keypad, which contains the 48 character code that Ford needs to add it to the truck with FDRS. They successfully programmed it and charged me an hour labor @ $125. I was able to pay it all in Ford points (25,000).
Did it really take an hour to program?? I know sometimes they make it hard to tell how much time something takes... once the vehicle is taken back to the service bay, how would you know when exactly work was started and finished up.

a1z2s3x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 | 2022 Ford F350
I can't imagine how it would take more than 10 minutes...but it was back in the shop for exactly an hour. I was told it would be an hour before they started. And, I was told I would be charged "whether they got it working or not". :rolleyes: So, either they can be fiddly to get programmed...or they don't do very many of them...or whatever. Obviously, they would prefer to sell me the keypad. So, a tiny amount of snark should be expected if you bring one to them, I guess. It is also easy to order the incorrect keypad, so perhaps they get a lot of those situations where somebody brings them a keypad that is for the incorrect application, they screw with it for an hour+, then the customer loses their religion when they are charged and it wasn't able to be programmed.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I have no problem with the dealer charging a minimum hours labor working with parts the customer brought in. Thereare more costs involved then just the tech’s 15 mins of time.

I was inspired by a few on here and relocated the pad to inside the gas cap door. We use it frequently.

kmdub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
He's full of it because many on here have tried to activate theirs on their own and it can't be done. You have to have the dealer (for a charge of course) do this. It's best to order one with your truck that way it's programed and just move it from the door to a better spot after delivery.
Not true. You can absolutely install the keypad without the dealer. It requires two things - the right OBD2 adapter and the right software. I don't know if Forscan is capable of it (provided you have the right adapter), but I haven't found a way with it. You need an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X9Y7WQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that can use the J2534 protocol and the right software, Ford FDRS or IDS. I used FDRS for which I bought a 3 day subscription for $50.00. Now, it may be more economical do just get the dealer to do it, but you don't have to and can do it yourself. I just bought the keypad (be sure to get the right one) and with the adapter and software, the install is easy and took about 5 minutes, just like the guy in the video said. It is, in fact, a 48 character number you enter. If you plan on doing keys or something like that in the future, and perhaps some other stuff, you might want to invest in a J2534 adapter like the one linked above. The probable reason Forscan can't do it, although it probably could technically, is that most people don't use Forscan with a J2534 adapter and use either the cheap OBD2 adapters or perhaps better ones that don't use the right protocols. There are several protocols that can be used over that OBD2 port, not just HSCAN and MSCAN, etc.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Not true. You can absolutely install the keypad without the dealer. It requires two things - the right OBD2 adapter and the right software. I don't know if Forscan is capable of it (provided you have the right adapter), but I haven't found a way with it. You need an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X9Y7WQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that can use the J2534 protocol and the right software, Ford FDRS or IDS. I used FDRS for which I bought a 3 day subscription for $50.00. Now, it may be more economical do just get the dealer to do it, but you don't have to and can do it yourself. I just bought the keypad (be sure to get the right one) and with the adapter and software, the install is easy and took about 5 minutes, just like the guy in the video said. It is, in fact, a 48 character number you enter. If you plan on doing keys or something like that in the future, and perhaps some other stuff, you might want to invest in a J2534 adapter like the one linked above. The probable reason Forscan can't do it, although it probably could technically, is that most people don't use Forscan with a J2534 adapter and use either the cheap OBD2 adapters or perhaps better ones that don't use the right protocols. There are several protocols that can be used over that OBD2 port, not just HSCAN and MSCAN, etc.
You can not do it with Forscan, many have tried it doesn't work.

Most here that are trying to program it themself and wouldn't have any use for a $150.00 adapter afterwards. Now add int the $50.00 for the 3 day license and you're double the cost the dealer wants. It's best to just add it to your factory build ($100.00) as it comes programed and remove it and install it someplace other than the door.

Does this work with Forscan too? If not it's not worth the money and the reviews aren't all that great.

kmdub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
You can not do it with Forscan, many have tried it doesn't work.

Most here that are trying to program it themself and wouldn't have any use for a $150.00 adapter afterwards. Now add int the $50.00 for the 3 day license and you're double the cost the dealer wants. It's best to just add it to your factory build ($100.00) as it comes programed and remove it and install it someplace other than the door.

Does this work with Forscan too? If not it's not worth the money and the reviews aren't all that great.
Yes, the adapter can do everything the other OBD2 adapters can with Forscan, but it also does J2534. Yes, it is not economical for most people, but I do have a need for the adapter after installing the keypad. You can use it to do keys as well, for example. I got the keypad free with Fordpass points and just figured I would invest in this kind of adapter. So, yes, with the license cost and hardware cost, most are probably just better off bringing it to the dealer or just get it like you said from the factory, if that's what you want. Just wanted to let those that are dead set against going to the dealer, that you can do it yourself, for a price.

FYI, I do see in Forscan there is an option to use J2534 as a protocol, implying that it should be possible in Forscan, with the right hardware. It just may not be implemented for various reasons. It is probably not trivial to implement this functionality properly.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes, the adapter can do everything the other OBD2 adapters can with Forscan, but it also does J2534. Yes, it is not economical for most people, but I do have a need for the adapter after installing the keypad. You can use it to do keys as well, for example. I got the keypad free with Fordpass points and just figured I would invest in this kind of adapter. So, yes, with the license cost and hardware cost, most are probably just better off bringing it to the dealer or just get it like you said from the factory, if that's what you want. Just wanted to let those that are dead set against going to the dealer, that you can do it yourself, for a price.

FYI, I do see in Forscan there is an option to use J2534 as a protocol, implying that it should be possible in Forscan, with the right hardware. It just may not be implemented for various reasons. It is probably not trivial to implement this functionality properly.

That's good to know for those who need this for their keypad programming and also want to dive into Forscan. Everything I've read here and on the Bronco forum no ones been able to get theirs to be programmed other than going to the dealer.
Sponsored