First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Hey y'all, I wasn't totally sure where to put this but since I feel like it's due to tires, I put it here.

I just finished installing a Fox2.0, and some 265/70R18 Toyo Open country M/T. After that I performed an alignment where I had about -4° and -2° caster. And I had to adjust front toe twice (recompensated the heads and it was out again). I was unable to get the caster any better. But I valued the camber more. I noticed when on the highway, my truck does not shift out of 8th. Now, I'm not sure if it just wasn't fully warmed up... But I was able to shift it manually into 10th when in sport mode. I'll be doing some checks tomorrow to ensure everything is alright. Including a longer drive to double check it's not transmission temperature related.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrizzyDrake

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Did you recalibrate the speedometer for larger tires? If no, then that would affect how the pcm / tcm operates
Oh good to know. Is there a factory way of doing it to maintain my warranty? Or is a tune required?

OP
OP
DrizzyDrake

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
So after a longer drive I found that I just have to go a bit faster and it will kick up the last two gears. It's probably just a calibration/speedo issue. I'll hit up the dealer that my old service manager is now at, and get it corrected.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Did you recalibrate the speedometer for larger tires? If no, then that would affect how the pcm / tcm operates
No need to recalibrate. I've got big ole 295 70 17 for the last two years with no issues of the truck shifting all the way to 10th gear. Now if I'm on the interstate running 80 to 90 mph it will shift between 9th and 10th depending on the grade of hill. My step dads king cab with 285 70 17s has no issue either. We didn't tune for our tire size.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
In sport mode, it won't automatically upshift from 8th into 9th or 10th- that's normal. Take it out of sport mode, and it should upshift all the way to 10th...

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
...and having negative caster is a significant problem. Are you trying to increase the front ride height with the stock upper control arms?

OP
OP
DrizzyDrake

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
In sport mode, it won't automatically upshift from 8th into 9th or 10th- that's normal. Take it out of sport mode, and it should upshift all the way to 10th...
I meant I can make it go into 10th using sport manual shifting... I am just use to cruising in 10th gear in 'drive' down to my work, but now because the tires are bigger, I'm not going fast enough for it to shift into 10th.

...and having negative caster is a significant problem. Are you trying to increase the front ride height with the stock upper control arms?
Yes, I have stock UCA. But it isn't wandering so I'm not too worried. New upper control arms are on the list but I don't want pillow-ball style as they don't last very long with the salt here.

OP
OP
DrizzyDrake

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
No need to recalibrate. I've got big ole 295 70 17 for the last two years with no issues of the truck shifting all the way to 10th gear. Now if I'm on the interstate running 80 to 90 mph it will shift between 9th and 10th depending on the grade of hill. My step dads king cab with 285 70 17s has no issue either. We didn't tune for our tire size.
Well it would help so I am in 10th on my daily commute like I use to be. I cruise 80-90 km/h and it won't shift into 10th unless I'm going 90-100+. It's just acting awkwardly as is.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Don’t need to be in Sport mode to lock out gears or down shift/up shift. You can do it in drive. All the way down to 1st gear if you want.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Don’t need to be in Sport mode to lock out gears or down shift/up shift. You can do it in drive. All the way down to 1st gear if you want.
Yes, I know...

OP
OP
DrizzyDrake

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
You can go down gears but not up past what the computer wants in drive. You can go up past what the computer wants when you are in sport mode.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
How can you tell what gear you are in?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Just push the shift button on the gear selector handle and it should show up on the dash. No need to be in Sport Mode. It displays it on my Lariat.
in fact, it doesn't work that way in sport mode--it turns into manual shifting.

also, I make it a habit to always use the up arrow to show the gear display, because if you hit the down more than once in D, you'll start locking out gears.
Sponsored