Gear Ratios... If Ive gone to a 32” Raptor wheel, what gear set ratio do I need to go too to get my gas mileage back?? And where can I purchase them?

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Swapped to 32” Raptor wheels for the Ranger... 32” BF Goodrich... what gear ratio would get me back to stock gas mileage etc.... and pick up my pep again??? And what is the offset on the speedometer with the bigger tires, 32” wheel.. 5mph slower Etc?
Sponsored

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Probably better off getting a tune and can change tire ratio etc in the tune you'll get more for your money it's a 10 speed doesn't need regear just different tune and tables.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Also can get a tune with multiple files aka eco tune and a performance tune for whatever gas you prefer or got hope this helps super easy plug and play stuff these days from places like 5 star.

Synyster06Gates

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
On my 19 XLT I went to the same size tires as you have now (and my Tremor has). All I did was correct the speedo in Forscan. There is no notable loss of power with that small of an increase - and definitely nothing that warrants regearing. The Tremor has 3.73s

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
You likely went to a much heavier tire setup. That’s your main loss of fuel economy. I did the same thing.. but ended up going back to stock tires

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Swapped to 32” Raptor wheels for the Ranger... 32” BF Goodrich... what gear ratio would get me back to stock gas mileage etc.... and pick up my pep again??? And what is the offset on the speedometer with the bigger tires, 32” wheel.. 5mph slower Etc?
Lol perhaps you need to drive a Ranger that has 32 inch tires. It does just fine. I think I lost .5 MPG after lifting and installing 32 inch tires. After that I installed the Livernois tune and it wenr up by 2 MPG. You will be fine

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I've always kept 2 sets of rims/tires and switch between them, never bother with the speedo change. This truck the factory 30.6 and 2nds are 32.7 which changes the speedo by ~5%. It shows 60mph, I'm actually doing 63mph.

This website has a comparison tab and does the math if you insert the tires sizes. Lists the speedo variance for you.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Also lots of free phone apps with GPS speedo, which work well.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
No current aftermarket options for gears in our trucks yet is my understanding. I think one member managed to do the rears on his but not the front?

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
32 inch wheels?

Most people choose Caprices to Donk out. But whatever.

Hope you don't blow a shock.
I refrained from being a smart ass. But I was thinking the same thing lol

also 32” wheels with 32” tires would be a heck of a ride

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Lol perhaps you need to drive a Ranger that has 32 inch tires. It does just fine. I think I lost .5 MPG after lifting and installing 32 inch tires.
I find this all very interesting. Humor me and tell me if this makes sense.

A bone stock Tremor is advertised as 19 mpg city and 19 mpg highway.

A similarly equipped Lariat, but without the Tremor package is 20 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.
Data Link

The only drivetrain differences between these 2 trucks that would affect mpg are:
A) Bigger Tires, and
B) A lift.

The biggest hit is in highway. Why is that? Is it an aerodynamics issue? Not likely.

Bigger tire diameters will lower RPM at a given speed. The bigger tires should make the motor turn slower in 10th gear. Is that it... it's lugging the motor? So the tuner changes the shift points to bring the motor back up so it is in the optimal rpm range.

So that's why the tune works.

So the tune is in a way like changing rear gears, like we did back in the day. So a gear change isn't needed.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

A similarly equipped Lariat, but without the Tremor package is 20 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.
Data Link

The only drivetrain differences between these 2 trucks that would affect mpg are:
A) Bigger Tires, and
B) A lift.

The biggest hit is in highway. Why is that? Is it an aerodynamics issue? Not likely.

Bigger tire diameters will lower RPM at a given speed. The bigger tires should make the motor turn slower in 10th gear. Is that it... it's lugging the motor? So the tuner changes the shift points to bring the motor back up so it is in the optimal rpm range.

So the tune is in a way like changing rear gears, like we did back in the day. So a gear change isn't needed.
Aerodynamics might still be a part of it when you think about it. The trimmer has the same skip plates from the factory has the FX4. Doesn't matter if it's an XL XLT or Lariat. When I switched over to the FX4 skid plates on my truck I did see a little bit of a decrease in fuel in it. That is part of it by itself. Going to the slightly bigger tires and actually leveling the truck versus actually lifting? Well you can still decrease your fuel mileage and depending on what for its tests were will depend on what the actual MPG will be. I wouldn't even be surprised if the trimmer is considered heavier just for the fact that it has a few extra options on it that other trucks do not and the suspension components because of non parabolic Springs and different struts with springs up front.

Synyster06Gates

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Data Link

A) Bigger Tires, and
B) A lift.

My 19 XLT with 2.5 leveling kit and 265/70-17 tires gets exactly what my Tremor gets - 19.3 combined.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Aerodynamics might still be a part of it when you think about it. The trimmer has the same skip plates from the factory has the FX4. Doesn't matter if it's an XL XLT or Lariat. When I switched over to the FX4 skid plates on my truck I did see a little bit of a decrease in fuel in it. That is part of it by itself. Going to the slightly bigger tires and actually leveling the truck versus actually lifting? Well you can still decrease your fuel mileage and depending on what for its tests were will depend on what the actual MPG will be. I wouldn't even be surprised if the trimmer is considered heavier just for the fact that it has a few extra options on it that other trucks do not and the suspension components because of non parabolic Springs and different struts with springs up front.

Good Grief...picking fly shit out of the pepper. Do what you want?

Okay...another back story. My father bought a 62 Rambler station wagon upon our return from Germany. He drove this pos to its grave, but in 1974 prior to its wreck, he got sucked into this Magic fluid injection to improve fuel economy. Install this bag in the engine compartment, hook it up to the intake manifold, and this magic fluid would improve fuel economy. And, you know his math indicated this was true. I told him to drive several tank fulls before calculating and it showed no improvement...Why...he first drove to what is now called "hyper mileing " The it proved it was no more than a intoduction of windshield washer fluid to the motor...so much for the magic fluid that he paid dollars for in a time when this was about $0.30 a gallon for gasoline. PT Barnum material.

I drive my Range like a drive any vehicle..I could give a fig about my fuel economy..I love my Range and its power and use the gas pedal accordingly to my needs, wants

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
I've always kept 2 sets of rims/tires and switch between them, never bother with the speedo change. This truck the factory 30.6 and 2nds are 32.7 which changes the speedo by ~5%. It shows 60mph, I'm actually doing 63mph.

This website has a comparison tab and does the math if you insert the tires sizes. Lists the speedo variance for you.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Also lots of free phone apps with GPS speedo, which work well.
Thank you Jay... ?
Sponsored