First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Subscriptions are the "gift the keeps on giving", which is why companies love them - even if the company isn't really doing much to earn the subscription. It is one of the big reasons I don't want an office 365 subscription - I don't really care about any of the new features in office - The version I have has everything I want/need - I don't need to pay every month for crap I don't want, and yet at some point it will most likely not be an option. As much as some people don't want to admit it, at some point, most software can be considered "done" and the only updates that would be needed would be to remediate security issues - but we live in a "new, shiny" world where software companies have to deliver SOMETHING to justify the monthly subscription.

There are a few upsides to the subscription model but it requires more active "management" by the consumer. I know people who only subscribe to streaming services for a month or two to binge watch whatever series they like from that service - once they are done, they drop the subscription and move on to the next. Very different than the old cable world.

I have to laugh when I read people think we are going to have autonomous cars anytime soon - I think we are a LONG ways off from truly autonomous cars.
At the risk of being guilty of hijacking a thread I already hijacked (is that even a thing?), totally agree on the autonomous driving roll out timeline.

The people with an economic interest in the idea (and are really smart) always use comparisons to the safety of a human behind the wheel versus autonomous vehicles when selling the idea. Elon Musk never misses a chance to compare the stats of autopilot accidents versus ones where humans were solely responsible.

I think the reality that autonomous vehicles WILL, at some future time, run over a baby carriage in the cross walk (because no software program is perfect and if it is perfect, the next auto rev update will make it imperfect) will make the comparison of the actual safety stats moot.

People forgive other imperfect humans, or at least, we accept we will always be imperfect at times. When it comes to a baby getting run over by a machine with no human involved? That will never be OK, at least, that is what I think right now.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of being guilty of hijacking a thread I already hijacked (is that even a thing?), totally agree on the autonomous driving roll out timeline.

The people with an economic interest in the idea (and are really smart) always use comparisons to the safety of a human behind the wheel versus autonomous vehicles when selling the idea. Elon Musk never misses a chance to compare the stats of autopilot accidents versus ones where humans were solely responsible.

I think the reality that autonomous vehicles WILL, at some future time, run over a baby carriage in the cross walk (because no software program is perfect and if it is perfect, the next auto rev update will make it imperfect) will make the comparison of the actual safety stats moot.

People forgive other imperfect humans, or at least, we accept we will always be imperfect at times. When it comes to a baby getting run over by a machine with no human involved? That will never be OK, at least, that is what I think right now.
Yeah, autonomous cars currently are pretty amazing, but when they fail, they fail spectacularly (see the case where a Tesla plowed into a semi crossing the road at full speed or plowed into an off ramp divider it didn't see at full speed). I get the argument that they don't have to be perfect to be "better" than human drivers but they do need to be substantially better than they currently are.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Today I got a weird message on Sync3 saying “Data collection service enabled….” Not kidding, never saw that before. Okay officially spooky..
I have an iPhone but was probably the time I never had it with me when it happened. hmmm..
Nothing to do with iPhone. I always get that message whenever I don't take my phone (Android) with me. I think it's telling you that the truck is sending location/usage data thru its own modem. When a phone is connected, it sends data via the phone cellular connection.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Nothing to do with iPhone. I always get that message whenever I don't take my phone (Android) with me. I think it's telling you that the truck is sending location/usage data thru its own modem. When a phone is connected, it sends data via the phone cellular connection.
Have never given this any thought because I've never seen any of the aforementioned 'messages'. Interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty sure there are more than one thing driving the craze in the global corporate world toward subscription revenue, versus one and done product sales revenue, but for sure, at least today, companies get a higher valuation on their stock as their recurring revenue goes up.

Once I got retired, I started paying more attention to stocks and bonds and there is no doubt in my mind about this motivation to get services (i.e. monthly subscription revenues) growing.

A number of years ago Apple announced to their investors and Wall Street that they would be focusing on services revenue and deemphasizing hardware sales revenue, Wall Street just loved the idea. Apple went so far as to quit reporting hardware sales numbers in their quarterly reports (I was thinking no way will the institutional investors let them get away with that). Much to my surprise (and not surprising at all to Wall Street obviously), everyone loved the idea. So much so that Apple’s Price/Earnings ratio doubled in like 18 months. During that time (starting like maybe 3 years ago),profits grew like 10% and the stock price doubled.

Not an expert, so I am sure there are a lot of prior examples of this strategy working, but in Apple’s case during that time, they became the most valuable company in the world (based on market capitalization).

So now, every company that makes products is mad for becoming a “services” or subscription model company.

I have read some other ideas like the insurability of autonomous driving cars that likely is motivating the motor companies in this direction, but whatever the other reasons, higher stock price seems to be the big one.

Sorry for the TMI. :(
Dear valued customers,
During these particularly difficult times, please continue sending money.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I am pretty sure there are more than one thing driving the craze in the global corporate world toward subscription revenue, versus one and done product sales revenue, but for sure, at least today, companies get a higher valuation on their stock as their recurring revenue goes up.

Once I got retired, I started paying more attention to stocks and bonds and there is no doubt in my mind about this motivation to get services (i.e. monthly subscription revenues) growing.

A number of years ago Apple announced to their investors and Wall Street that they would be focusing on services revenue and deemphasizing hardware sales revenue, Wall Street just loved the idea. Apple went so far as to quit reporting hardware sales numbers in their quarterly reports (I was thinking no way will the institutional investors let them get away with that). Much to my surprise (and not surprising at all to Wall Street obviously), everyone loved the idea. So much so that Apple’s Price/Earnings ratio doubled in like 18 months. During that time (starting like maybe 3 years ago),profits grew like 10% and the stock price doubled.

Not an expert, so I am sure there are a lot of prior examples of this strategy working, but in Apple’s case during that time, they became the most valuable company in the world (based on market capitalization).

So now, every company that makes products is mad for becoming a “services” or subscription model company.

I have read some other ideas like the insurability of autonomous driving cars that likely is motivating the motor companies in this direction, but whatever the other reasons, higher stock price seems to be the big one.

Sorry for the TMI. :(
Agree about how many companies are pursuing subscription based revenue - but I'm skeptical how this will go over with non luxury auto owners, mercedes, bmw, lexus owners are different ilk from us less affluent slobs who drive fords, chevies, yotas.

I think at the present time it will be difficult to get people to go this route, unless of course our law makers step up and provide more incentive payments so everyone can afford these subscriptions, might see these sort of promises made by aspiring public office candidates to go along with free college, loan forgiveness and so on.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Agree about how many companies are pursuing subscription based revenue - but I'm skeptical how this will go over with non luxury auto owners, mercedes, bmw, lexus owners are different ilk from us less affluent slobs who drive fords, chevies, yotas.

I think at the present time it will be difficult to get people to go this route, unless of course our law makers step up and provide more incentive payments so everyone can afford these subscriptions, might see these sort of promises made by aspiring public office candidates to go along with free college, loan forgiveness and so on.
Well shoot me! I thought this was something brand new but it's apparently been around for awhile - didn't do well either. BMW rolling back out specific subscription packages in select countries (not North America) I feel will also flop.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/15/bmw-cancel-subscription-service/

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired

I don’t disagree.

On the corporate motivation for being valued higher because they are moving to a subscription/services model, it may not matter that much that they are actually doing it, as it is that they are constantly talking about it.

In Apple’s case, their services revenue is only about 25% of their total revenue and the iPhone has remained relatively constant at around 50% +/-, but the P/E still doubled. Recently they started talking about getting people to pay one monthly fee and they will get hardware, software, movies, music, whatever, for one simple monthly payment. From my perspective it is all financial slight of hand, but the rubes running the pension funds keep lapping it up, mmmm good. :)

As far as anyone even slightly related to the political machines in this country go? They all know one thing above all and it is that free stuff equals votes, period.

I had to vote for our current governor in the last primary. The guy sent me a check out of nowhere earlier this year and then just before Election Day, sent me a letter reminding me he had sent it to me. :(

I think you have to go pretty far down the sample ballot to find a politician on either side of the aisle that is altruistic enough to think people will vote for them because the current free stuff for votes isn’t sustainable. If you do find one, they won’t hold that notion in the next election cycle.

I hate being cynical, I need to go find my meds…. :(

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
From my perspective it is all financial slight of hand, but the rubes running the pension funds keep lapping it up, mmmm good. :)

I hate being cynical, I need to go find my meds…. :(
Absolutely! :)

Dogdays

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
retired
Traveling on the freeway at 70 mph, the engine just died. Looking at the monitor it stated "turn off engine to conserve battery, then start engine". Weird, engine was already off. I coasted to the freeway shoulder, turned off the ignition, then restarted the engine. Everything was normal after that hiccup. Any ideas?
Turn off engine to conserve battery sounds like a huge draw on the battery. Ask you Ford service department or look up online to find probable causes of message. Could have been a power surge as well as a battery cell problem. But, since it ran okay after that, could have been one connection touching another, s
Traveling on the freeway at 70 mph, the engine just died. Looking at the monitor it stated "turn off engine to conserve battery, then start engine". Weird, engine was already off. I coasted to the freeway shoulder, turned off the ignition, then restarted the engine. Everything was normal after that hiccup. Any ideas?
Ask your Ford service department or look up online for probable causes. Turn off engine to conserve battery says huge power draw to me. It's as if two wires touched, like a short. Do you have rodents? A visual inspection for chewed or loose wires, maybe. And, it ran fine after that when it said restart. Perhaps a circuit board error of some kind. Weird.

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kawasaki Versys LT, and soon a 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Supply Chain
Have you checked the main body wiring harness connector ? (located along the inside of the frame rail basically under the drivers seat) - A few of the people on the forum here pointed me in that direction and the connector wasn't properly sealed/seated and got corrosion inside. Caused my truck to go dead while driving without warning, along with a mostly inoperable fuel gauge.

OP
OP
Robert Scott

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Well it did it again. 55 MPH, same as before: engine dies, same info on the screen. Restarted engine--all is great. No codes in either case. Battery terminals are clean and conductive. The next day I measured the overnight resting voltage. It was 12.38 VDC. Started the engine, charging voltage was 12.40 VDC. Drove to the dealership, they never heard of that before. The voltages they felt were normal. They suggested I leave it (they would be happy to give it the sun treatment) and they would check it out. I choose not to leave the truck.
Sponsored