Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Is this a new Ranger or preowned?
If this is new, then there is a big problem. Are you waiting to make you first payment? If so, then you need to send a payment by certified mail to the dealership.

If this is preowned, then it’s an issue that needs to be cleared up soon, but laws vary a lot in different States.
It’s a new truck, I financed it through my credit union as I’ve already made two payments so that’s not an issue.

My credit union should know that the information has to come from the dealer or the DMV and not the customer. But they’re still on my ass that I have to comply with their requirements. I’m basically ignoring them anyway. There’s nothing I can do about it.
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I financed it through my credit union as I’ve already made two payments so that’s not an issue.
Okay. I saw this video recently and thought your situation might be similar:

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Again, thanks everyone for the information. If I had more coffee this morning I hopefully would have come to the same conclusion, but the brain wasn't fully engaged. So, here is the long version.

I called the dealer and got to the admin office. Explained the situation, and the woman said that she would ask the title admin what's going on. She called back and said the paperwork was submitted May 3 and they are still waiting for the VA DMV to send the plates. May 3 is 5 weeks after the purchase date, but whatever. She said if the temp tags are soon expiring they could print me a new one and send it tomorrow, for 2 day delivery.

I asked if it was that they couldn't be sent today or if they wouldn't pay for next day? She said, it's sort of both. Mail has already gone out today and they won't pay for next day, generally.

I told her that I know this isn't her fault and I'm not mad at her personally, but this is a dealership problem and they need to cut me new tags and send them today for delivery tomorrow, Saturday. She said let me ask the GM and call you back.

She called back and said they will be in the mail today for Saturday delivery. So, all is well. I wasn't too concerned I would get a ticket, but I didn't appreciate not getting any replies to my 2 emails.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the ranger on Saturday, March 27. As of today I still have not received the tags. I called the dealer after a month to ask what was up and they hadn't processed the paperwork. I had to get emissions tested, which I did that day, provided all the info they asked and said I'd received the tags in the mail.

2 weeks ago I emailed them, no reply. My temp tags expired May 26. 2 days ago I emailed again. They've ghosted me. Now my credit union is starting to bug me that they haven't received whatever documentation that the title has been registered.

I will probably receive the tags today, as soon as I start researching my next steps. I bought the truck 2+ hours away, so the dealer may think they will never see me again so why bother with all that customer service crap.

What do I do next?
Contact your county tax assessor. That is who would be the ultimate authority, at least in Texas where I am from and here in Colorado where I live now. We were on a backlog to get tags here last year when I bought my Ranger. I bought it 2/20/2020 and got my tags in May.....

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
What state requires emissions on a new vehicle?

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
When I bought my VW, the dealer (an AutoNation dealer) didn't file my paperwork until I started threatening legal action. I was pulled over for an expired temp tag (I needed to drive), but the officer was gracious enough to let me out of it. The dealer, especially since you pay doc fees, has a legal responsibility to file that paperwork (it's in the paperwork you sign at close).

They could be having some issues with staffing like a lot of businesses because people somehow developed an impression over 2020 that they should be paid twice as much to do half the work.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
What state requires emissions on a new vehicle?
Yeah that kind of makes no sense... a new vehicle should comply with every state these days.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Counties outside DC, and others
Okay, but... it's still a BRAND NEW vehicle. It has to pass emissions... or it can't be sold. That's just government bullshit.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Nashville used to have "emissions" testing. Just another cash grab. a NEW never titled vehicle would not require testing, just subsequent future registrations.

drano38

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Supercrew
Glad I live in the remote midwest. I paid cash, so its most likely a bit easier, but I got the tags, not the dealer.
My dealer took about 4 business days to complete the packet of paperwork I needed for the DMV. Salesman texted it was ready, I picked it up, went to the courthouse to pay taxes and get my tags. From in the dealer to out the courthouse was under an hour.
Hope you get everything cleared up soon.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The dealership I purchased my truck from miscalculated my sales tax, and shorted the county. I had to go down, collect all the paperwork, take it to th DMV, and finish doing thier job for them.

I wasn't too happy.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I had a similar issue when I bought mine. Due to covid bs the mail was slow and I didn't get the title until the last day the temp tag was valid. Went right to the dmv and got charged a late fee!

I still don't have the new title (paid cash) and I bought mine 9 months ago.
Sponsored