5 tire rotation questions

JohnDLG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL Supercrew FX4
My truck is coming up on 7k miles and I'm thinking its about time to do a tire rotation. I have an FX4 with a spare that I'm thinking of rotating in. I know I'm going to need to buy a matching wheel since the spare has a steel wheel. I found them for sale at this site below for $150, unless someone can suggest a better source. Also I'll need a TPMS which the site sells for $45.

https://www.autorimshop.com/ford-ranger-2019-17-oem-wheel-rim-192185.html

Will most dealers or discount tire do 5 tire rotations? Do they charge more to do them? Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they want to share?
Sponsored

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Discount Tire does 'rotations' for free, and they will do a 5 tire for you. If you want them balanced too (RBA - rotation, balance, air) then it will cost you. Your best bet would be to buy the certificates (tire warranty) as it comes with all the maintenance.

I wrestle with 5 tire rotations. You get a bit more life out of the tires, but you'll have to buy 5 when the time comes. The spare is rarely used, so you could always just do a 4 tire and let the spare last a few round of tire purchases.

Just remember, Discoutn Tire does free rotations and flat repairs as a way to earn your business. Buy tires from them when the time comes. I don't work for them anymore, but I did work for them for 5 years. I stand behind their service.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Why do you want to rotate the spare? That's what it's for, to be used as needed and put back.
Bc that is what you really don't want to do. 98% of people don't even know the condition of their spare. How's the air pressure? Is it balanced? Then they put it on to find out it's flat and dry rotted.

I did 5 tire rotation with my Jeeps. My shop didn't charge anything extra or sass about it. Of course mine was on the back. It makes the most sense financially as you are using all the rubber on the road to the maximum. And you can monitor it just like the other tires, bc it is one.

I did a 5 tire on my 87 for a set of tires. I had to stop when I went to wide tires bc to get it between the hitch and ground I had to jack the rear up 4 inches to make enough space ?. Mmm ? fat tires.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
My truck is coming up on 7k miles and I'm thinking its about time to do a tire rotation. I have an FX4 with a spare that I'm thinking of rotating in. I know I'm going to need to buy a matching wheel since the spare has a steel wheel. I found them for sale at this site below for $150, unless someone can suggest a better source. Also I'll need a TPMS which the site sells for $45.

https://www.autorimshop.com/ford-ranger-2019-17-oem-wheel-rim-192185.html

Will most dealers or discount tire do 5 tire rotations? Do they charge more to do them? Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they want to share?
This is the rotation I use on my Jeep. 5 tire rotation will give you 20% more tire life on a full set.

1625615200260.png

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Fronts to back and backs to front...same rotation...left to left and right to right.
Spare is a spare.

as long as you aren't running directional tires (wouldn't be on a truck) you should move them from left to right too. Fronts come straight back, rears cross to opposite front. Running the tires in both directions will help them wear more evenly. If the Driver Rear is position 1 and we move clockwise, (Driver Front is 2, Passenger Front is 3, and Passenger Rear is 4) you should move 2 to 1, 1 to 3, 3 to 4, and 4 to 2.

CJ74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Bc that is what you really don't want to do. 98% of people don't even know the condition of their spare. How's the air pressure? Is it balanced? Then they put it on to find out it's flat and dry rotted.

I did 5 tire rotation with my Jeeps. My shop didn't charge anything extra or sass about it. Of course mine was on the back. It makes the most sense financially as you are using all the rubber on the road to the maximum. And you can monitor it just like the other tires, bc it is one.

I did a 5 tire on my 87 for a set of tires. I had to stop when I went to wide tires bc to get it between the hitch and ground I had to jack the rear up 4 inches to make enough space ?. Mmm ? fat tires.
Ok, I see what you're saying. The last time I used a spare I was around 17 and now I'm 47. My wife could have used a spare last spring but her fusion didn't come with one. So, she called ford whatever it is and they towed it to a dealer and had it fixed.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Here is another question, about how many miles should one go before rotating?
Different opinions will be expressed here but for me, I rotate an aggressive tread tire used often in 4-wheeling between 4 - 5k. A "street" tire I rotate at 5k.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Discount Tire does 'rotations' for free, and they will do a 5 tire for you. If you want them balanced too (RBA - rotation, balance, air) then it will cost you. Your best bet would be to buy the certificates (tire warranty) as it comes with all the maintenance.

I wrestle with 5 tire rotations. You get a bit more life out of the tires, but you'll have to buy 5 when the time comes. The spare is rarely used, so you could always just do a 4 tire and let the spare last a few round of tire purchases.

Just remember, Discoutn Tire does free rotations and flat repairs as a way to earn your business. Buy tires from them when the time comes. I don't work for them anymore, but I did work for them for 5 years. I stand behind their service.
yeah Discount Tire is great and their employees work hard, can't recall last time I didn't buy my tires from Discount and they have always matched lowest prices found.