Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
It appears that ford has eliminated the front tow hook as even an option for the 4X2 Rangers in any trim. The 2021 price and build does not show these. I have not dug into the weeds on the web site. I discovered this when I noticed that my "New" 2021 Lariat does not come with this. Aftermarket for a set appears to be about $104 for a set of two.

Just another thing I will have to buy for the Truck.

Also I will need to take it through a car wash, the bottom side is covered in salt.

Update: After a successful surgery of the Valance. The Lil Red Truck now has performance red tow hooks. About $100.00 and two hours of Labor. I had to trim the lower Valance to accept these parts.

20210117_144516[1].jpg

20210117_144405[1].jpg
20210123_095125.jpg

20210117_144516[1].jpg

20210117_144405[1].jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Might find someone that upgraded their factory ones and selling the takeoffs.
That is a very useful idea.

Benny at Levittown Ford has been treating Forum members very well, and their prices for OEM parts are significantly better then my local dealer, (even when shipping is included) I will probably buy the parts from him new and have them shipped in. New Truck, New parts.

I was simply whining about something else that Ford chose to not include on a 2021 Ranger Lariat. Missing front tow hooks, missing engine cover, missing (for years) tiedown hooks. they were even missing the build and price page when I ordered the truck so that I could not investigate what else they were planning to remove. as noted else where, they even removed the ability to fold the rear seat head rest. they removed the bash plate from the FX2 (a plastic clone in its place).

I am amazed that the truck still comes with a full size spare.

What Else will Ford remove next from the ranger? (that topic already exist)

I keep spending money on things that should have been on a $41100.00 OTD Truck.

AND

I still love this truck.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was simply whining about something else that Ford chose to not include on a 2021 Ranger Lariat. Missing front tow hooks, missing engine cover, missing (for years) tiedown hooks. they were even missing the build and price page when I ordered the truck so that I could not investigate what else they were planning to remove. as noted else where, they even removed the ability to fold the rear seat head rest. they removed the bash plate from the FX2 (a plastic clone in its place).
FX2 always only had a cosmetic/appearance plate. Tow hooks are part of FX4, and according to B&P still available even on XL.

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
FX2 always only had a cosmetic/appearance plate. Tow hooks are part of FX4, and according to B&P still available even on XL.
I have a 4X2. Many of the photos of the 2019 and 2020 4X2 rangers had front tow hooks displayed. I was expecting front tow hooks on the 2021. a false expectation. Given that (I Believe)80% of ford rangers are 4X4 and Ford wants to sell 4X4 rangers most advertising shows the 4X4 configuration not the 4X2 configuration. and appearance lead to false expectations.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 4X2. Many of the photos of the 2019 and 2020 4X2 rangers had front tow hooks displayed. I was expecting front tow hooks on the 2021. a false expectation. Given that (I Believe)80% of ford rangers are 4X4 and Ford wants to sell 4X4 rangers most advertising shows the 4X4 configuration not the 4X2 configuration. and appearance lead to false expectations.
They were definitely never standard. For 4x2 they should be in the fx2 package. I don't know if they were ever a factory option, but they've been a popular addition. As I understand it, bolting them on is pretty straightforward.

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
They were definitely never standard. For 4x2 they should be in the fx2 package. I don't know if they were ever a factory option, but they've been a popular addition. As I understand it, bolting them on is pretty straightforward.
I must have built the 2021 a hundred times using the 2020 builder, Early on I attempted to research the front tow hooks. The picture of my build always showed it with the tow hooks. I even printed out the picture and hung it on my wall once the truck was ordered. The 2021 build and price does eliminate the tow hooks during the build representation, The 2020 build and price print out for the build showed front tow hooks.
I will take the price and build sheet that I ordered the truck with back to the dealer and have them install the missing front tow hooks. or give me a giant discount on them.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I must have built the 2021 a hundred times using the 2020 builder, Early on I attempted to research the front tow hooks. The picture of my build always showed it with the tow hooks. I even printed out the picture and hung it on my wall once the truck was ordered. The 2021 build and price does eliminate the tow hooks during the build representation, The 2020 build and price print out for the build showed front tow hooks.
I will take the price and build sheet that I ordered the truck with back to the dealer and have them install the missing front tow hooks. or give me a giant discount on them.
The pictures are always buggy. Are tow hooks listed in the specs?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The photo's on the Ford site are indeed misleading. I expected the lower valance on my xl FX4 to be silver, it wasn't.

Just be patient with the dealer and ask if they can help. Explain your frustration and I'm betting they'll help.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
The pictures are always buggy. Are tow hooks listed in the specs?
The front tow hooks were list on the specs for the 2020 build, there were no specs available for the 2021 build when I ordered the truck. the public specs were released after I received the truck. Ford appears to have changed the specifications for this part on the 2021 4X2 build.

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I may have a line on some factory tow hooks. I will probably need to provide the bolts for installation. I know the original bolts have a 15mm head. what size bolt, length and pitch should I buy to install these. the one from ford are part number

W720626-S900

They run in cost between $2.00 each to $3.50. if I buy them from a ford dealer. If I know the size I may be able to get them elsewhere.

the complete set with bolts from Benny is about $100.00 delivered.

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I am pissed. I bought the missing front tow hooks. Not only did "FORD" remove them, While the bolt holes are still there, they changed the lower bumper making it impossible to install, without buying a new lower bumper or performing surgery to the existing bumper to install them. Any Suggestions on how to proceed. I do not think the truck looks right without them.
20210122_130424[1].jpg
20210122_130150[1].jpg
20210122_130058[1].jpg

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I am pissed. I bought the missing front tow hooks. Not only did "FORD" remove them, While the bolt holes are still there, they changed the lower bumper making it impossible to install, without buying a new lower bumper or performing surgery to the existing bumper to install them. Any Suggestions on how to proceed. I do not think the truck looks right without them.
20210122_130424[1].jpg
20210122_130150[1].jpg
20210122_130058[1].jpg
Hard to tell from the angle, but it almost looks like there is enough room to slide the hook loop through the slot from the back and bolt it to the frame, but I'm sure you have tried 10 ways to Sunday by now. Is the slot not large enough or does the frame rail not align with the slot or both?
Sponsored