Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
HI Pablo,

These last two pictures show guaranteed wire shorting due to abrasion...You need to protect the red wire or the black wire when running through metal like you show... You have a headache in the making. Use a bit of hard plastic wire wrap convoluted abrasion tubing. You can also use rubber vacuum tubing segments secured in place with adhesive. Also, split wire grommets will work...just do not have a sheathed wire rubbing on metal.

Good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Did he even solder before applying the liquid tape?! o_O
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did he even solder before applying the liquid tape?! o_O
Hi Sid,

Believe it or not, but we do not solder wiring OEM. Reason is the solder wicks up the strands and were it stops becomes a potential bending spot and the wire strands fail inside the wire sheath. Using the butt splices with the shrink tubing and adhesive is a more robust way to run wiring.

Back story....When I first headed up off road racing for Ford Truck, I got results of the DNFs of the Ford Trucks. (DNF is Did Not Finish, ie broke down). I found 75% of the DNFs were electrical. So I took my engineering team to the next race and we poured over vehicles, much to the dismay of the owners of the teams/drivers. We cataloged the concerns and again poor wiring practices bubbled to the top...so enter Rey Chem stage left to a Technical Forum I held at the next Race where we detailed sound wiring practices and I paid for a Rey Chem "kit" for each team the attended the presentation. So within a few races, the DNFs of Ford Trucks from electrical problems went to decimal dust as it is called. We all but eliminated electrical failures from the race trucks.

So after 25 years of managing Ford Trucks Off Road racing, we had a win rate for those years of 3 times more than all the other manufacturers combined. Our racing put teeth into what Ford Tough really means.

At the time, with the pressure to win I questioned why I subjected myself to this added pressure beyond m Day Job. Now looking back....it was a enjoyable time and Ford Kicked Butt in the desert!

Best,
Phil

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

Believe it or not, but we do not solder wiring OEM. Reason is the solder wicks up the strands and were it stops becomes a potential bending spot and the wire strands fail inside the wire sheath. Using the butt splices with the shrink tubing and adhesive is a more robust way to run wiring.

Back story....When I first headed up off road racing for Ford Truck, I got results of the DNFs of the Ford Trucks. (DNF is Did Not Finish, ie broke down). I found 75% of the DNFs were electrical. So I took my engineering team to the next race and we poured over vehicles, much to the dismay of the owners of the teams/drivers. We cataloged the concerns and again poor wiring practices bubbled to the top...so enter Rey Chem stage left to a Technical Forum I held at the next Race where we detailed sound wiring practices and I paid for a Rey Chem "kit" for each team the attended the presentation. So within a few races, the DNFs of Ford Trucks from electrical problems went to decimal dust as it is called. We all but eliminated electrical failures from the race trucks.

So after 25 years of managing Ford Trucks Off Road racing, we had a win rate for those years of 3 times more than all the other manufacturers combined. Our racing put teeth into what Ford Tough really means.

At the time, with the pressure to win I questioned why I subjected myself to this added pressure beyond m Day Job. Now looking back....it was a enjoyable time and Ford Kicked Butt in the desert!

Best,
Phil
That's very interesting Phil...How would a DIY'er execute a proper butt splice + adhesive? Shrink wrap is something I do with all my connections...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's very interesting Phil...How would a DIY'er execute a proper butt splice + adhesive? Shrink wrap is something I do with all my connections...
Hi Sid,

You can get the butt splices with adheasive at Terminal Supply for example....

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Product.aspx?pc=STC-B

They have A and C depending on gauge as well...Eyelets and spade connectors as well.

Amazing is this place is just over the fence from where our Condo in Michigan is located.

Best,
Phil

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

You can get the butt splices with adheasive at Terminal Supply for example....

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Product.aspx?pc=STC-B

They have A and C depending on gauge as well...Eyelets and spade connectors as well.

Amazing is this place is just over the fence from where our Condo in Michigan is located.

Best,
Phil

Winner winner chicken dinner.

After I discovered they (well I get my stuff on Amazon in bulk) made every connector you can imagine as a one piece crimp and shrink I will never use anything else again.

@Msfitoy how in the world have you been under a rock with this stuff being so common? LOL

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Winner winner chicken dinner.

After I discovered they (well I get my stuff on Amazon in bulk) made every connector you can imagine as a one piece crimp and shrink I will never use anything else again.

@Msfitoy how in the world have you been under a rock with this stuff being so common? LOL
I looked at it but was skeptical with the low temp solder flow and tensile break test not as good...so I stuck with traditional solder iron/tin solder/shrink tube method...more tedious and not cutting edge but time proven...?

I'll have to give it another look now that Dr Phil has endorsed it... ?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at it but was skeptical with the solder flow under break test research...so I stuck with traditional solder iron/tin solder/shrink tube method...more tedious and not cutting edge but time proven...?
I dont even get the solder versions, I get the metal crimp center ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B518GCJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BZ8BLJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CJ8B4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored