2023 Ford Ranger

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
CAFE laws are also part of the reason trucks keep getting bigger.

A larger footprint means a lower CAFE standard to keep things "fair" among manufacturers.

So that a brand like Ram that only makes trucks doesn't have to hit the same standards as a company that builds small and fuel efficient vehicles.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The first thing they should have done away with for non use would be the ASS feature. Bet 98% of us turn it off or Forscan it out of existence.
Confirmation bias. You don't like it and turn it off, so everyone must. I personally love it, and notice the fuel economy hit when it's off.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Confirmation bias. You don't like it and turn it off, so everyone must. I personally love it, and notice the fuel economy hit when it's off.
Seems you went left here instead of staying in your lane bro. We were discussing “cost cutting measures” and not your likes and dislikes. That feature probably adds about 200 bucks for the build if you take a beefier starter, wiring, computer systems and a push button into account. But hey, it’s only money right…

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems you went left here instead of staying in your lane bro. We were discussing “cost cutting measures” and not your likes and dislikes. That feature probably adds about 200 bucks for the build if you take a beefier starter, wiring, computer systems and a push button into account. But hey, it’s only money right…
what's "my lane"? and who made you the "lane police"? anyway, there's a quantitative difference between the cost of a fuel economy measure (which can pay for itself over time for those who don't turn it off) and a pencil tray (which probably can not). anyway, you are the one that started the rampant speculation about peoples' preferences when you said "98% of us turn it off". I offered a counterpoint to suggest that perhaps people don't turn it off.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
It looks like Ford is starting to remove novelty features to curb cost.
I'm hoping that the removal of items is due to a different reason.
This is from an Australian news feed:

"Ford has also discreetly started deleting some items from the current Ford Ranger to cut costs – and to prepare for sharp discounts once it reaches runout phase towards the end of this year."

When the new model comes out, the current one will have to be heavily discounted because most buyers want the latest and greatest. If that's the case, then it makes sense to remove certain items to reduce the loses created by the heavy discounts.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Or, as they did between the '20 & '21 they just broke packages apart, and charged for the separated items boosting profits. For example take the 360 package in '20. It included the reverse sensors, and the 110 outlet in the rear of the concole. In '21 they dropped the sensors, and outlet from the package. They lowered the price of the 360 package like 35 bucks, but charged over a 100 for each of the two they made ala-cart. Pretty smart them thar bean counters. :)

BTW, not feelin' any love for the new front end either.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Granted these are still just renders but I'm not in love with it either. I will say it looks better on the Ranger than it does on the Maverick; the Mav's exterior gives me the "we're not really trying and we don't care who knows it" vibes of late 90's-early 00's Ford.
Just to point out, the young bucks that I know - mostly software, hardware & network devs and admins, along with a few mechanics and mechanical engineer types - love the styling of the Maverick. They live in the Bay Area or Sacramento, or Austin or Seattle or similar cities, and get away to the mountains as often as they can, but usually just take local day or overnight trips instead. They've never hauled rocks, but they've likely pulled a small camping trailer. They're the more urban/suburban market that will initially help Ford - and dealers and mechanics - shift to a new market and new ideas like hybrid and electric trucks. I think of them as being halfway between me and the Tesla fanboys.

I can already see that their aesthetic, their sense of what looks "correct" for a truck doesn't carry the baggage mine does. If you could dig into my head, my model for what a pickup "should" look like is probably something like this. Please note the pivoting vent windows and proper chrome side mirrors.

1628974722053.png

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Ford is about to retire the T6 platform and give the Ranger a much-awaited major revamp. Much awaited after only three years?!

https://www.motor1.com/news/525558/ford-ranger-australia-losing-features/

The beginning of sorrows?….....
It looks like Ford is starting to remove novelty features to curb cost.
.... omissions of such "small luxuries," which include an extendable arm on the sun visor to block side glare, illuminated vanity mirrors, and a plastic pocket under the rear seat.
I hope they don't start doing that here. It's kind of like downsizing the product to keep the cost about the same like in the grocery store. One example of many is sugar. It used to come in a 5 pound bag, but now it's in a 4 pound bag for about the same price.
2023 spy pics. I don't believe I've seen this on Ranger 5G. Sorry if I'm reposting.
1628785315303.png
1628785355587.png
1628785479986.png

I would like to see somebody photo shop there so it looks normal.
I have no problems with them omitting things to curb costs. They could do away with a lot more like wireless charging, and back seat power ports and tablets imbedded in the dash lol.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I have no problems with them omitting things to curb costs. They could do away with a lot more like wireless charging, and back seat power ports and tablets imbedded in the dash lol.
They do offer baseline models for fleets, but anyone can buy them.

Many of those features cost so little to add to the vehicle though - especially once standardized across the line - they probably throw them into every model.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They do offer baseline models for fleets, but anyone can buy them.

Many of those features cost so little to add to the vehicle though - especially once standardized across the line - they probably throw them into every model.
at some point if the take rate on the delete option is low enough, it costs more to remove than to just leave the part in

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Looks fantastic! Can’t wait for a truly modern platform that rides much better than my current one and gives me the option of PHEV. I never want to buy or lease an ICE only vehicle again.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Just to point out, the young bucks that I know - mostly software, hardware & network devs and admins, along with a few mechanics and mechanical engineer types - love the styling of the Maverick. They live in the Bay Area or Sacramento, or Austin or Seattle or similar cities, and get away to the mountains as often as they can, but usually just take local day or overnight trips instead. They've never hauled rocks, but they've likely pulled a small camping trailer. They're the more urban/suburban market that will initially help Ford - and dealers and mechanics - shift to a new market and new ideas like hybrid and electric trucks. I think of them as being halfway between me and the Tesla fanboys.

I can already see that their aesthetic, their sense of what looks "correct" for a truck doesn't carry the baggage mine does. If you could dig into my head, my model for what a pickup "should" look like is probably something like this. Please note the pivoting vent windows and proper chrome side mirrors.

1628974722053.png
An indication of the marketing & target market:

"The build sheets are all for Mavericks equipped with the turbo engine as well as all-wheel drive and the 4K Tow Package."

Apparently, the Maverick will be able to tow in Ultra High Definition. :LOL:

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Granted these are still just renders but I'm not in love with it either. I will say it looks better on the Ranger than it does on the Maverick; the Mav's exterior gives me the "we're not really trying and we don't care who knows it" vibes of late 90's-early 00's Ford.
Maverick is unibody, so no gap between the bed and cab - Ridgeline look.
Sponsored