Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is about to retire the T6 platform and give the Ranger a much-awaited major revamp. Much awaited after only three years?!

https://www.motor1.com/news/525558/ford-ranger-australia-losing-features/

The beginning of sorrows?….....
It looks like Ford is starting to remove novelty features to curb cost.
.... omissions of such "small luxuries," which include an extendable arm on the sun visor to block side glare, illuminated vanity mirrors, and a plastic pocket under the rear seat.
I hope they don't start doing that here. It's kind of like downsizing the product to keep the cost about the same like in the grocery store. One example of many is sugar. It used to come in a 5 pound bag, but now it's in a 4 pound bag for about the same price.
2023 spy pics. I don't believe I've seen this on Ranger 5G. Sorry if I'm reposting.
1628785315303.png
1628785355587.png
1628785479986.png

I would like to see somebody photo shop there so it looks normal.
Sponsored

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Ford is about to retire the T6 platform and give the Ranger a much-awaited major revamp. Much awaited after only three years?!

https://www.motor1.com/news/525558/ford-ranger-australia-losing-features/

The beginning of sorrows?….....
It looks like Ford is starting to remove novelty features to curb cost.
.... omissions of such "small luxuries," which include an extendable arm on the sun visor to block side glare, illuminated vanity mirrors, and a plastic pocket under the rear seat.
I hope they don't start doing that here. It's kind of like downsizing the product to keep the cost about the same like in the grocery store. One example of many is sugar. It used to come in a 5 pound bag, but now it's in a 4 pound bag for about the same price.
2023 spy pics. I don't believe I've seen this on Ranger 5G. Sorry if I'm reposting.
1628785315303.png
1628785355587.png
1628785479986.png

I would like to see somebody photo shop there so it looks normal.
You have to remember, while we just got the (mildly tweaked) T6 in 2019, the rest of the world has been driving it since 2011. The 2022/2023 model isn't going to be a ground-up redesign; it's the same updated platform that the Bronco and Everest are riding on. The biggest changes they're likely making are meeting new crash standards and shifting things around to accommodate battery packs and electric motors for the PHEV version. Everything else will be cosmetic and interior changes to bring the Ranger in line with the F-series and Maverick.

2022-Ford-Ranger.jpg
2022-Ford-Ranger-Ute-Render-1001x565_0_0_0.jpg

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
The biggest changes they're likely making are meeting new crash standards and shifting things around to accommodate battery packs and electric motors for the PHEV version. Everything else will be cosmetic and interior changes to bring the Ranger in line with the F-series and Maverick.
My only concern/hope is that the bed shape and hard points stay identical. We will be getting PHEV, and I really want my Alu-Cab to slot in without having to wait for a new adapter kit.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
That front end...

no-sir-idont-like-it-imgflip-com-32295951.png
Granted these are still just renders but I'm not in love with it either. I will say it looks better on the Ranger than it does on the Maverick; the Mav's exterior gives me the "we're not really trying and we don't care who knows it" vibes of late 90's-early 00's Ford.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Well sir, look at it this way; You could buy a Cheesy Chevy PU, and get one of 7 different outside trims and body sculptures, and not be able to find replacements for any of them!

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Not in love with the front end either, but happy they don't seem to have gone with the "I'm a big man with a big truck and a big grill" look of the F-150. And IMO the grill is the weak point of the current models styling anyway. Seems to still have the more rounded lines, clamshell hood, etc.. of the world market focussed Ranger, I was kinda worried it would end up being a slab-sided 80% clone of it's big brother.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As for the items they say are missing from the trucks; I believe that concern is from customers receiving the current model truck in Australia. And if you think about it, here in the USA, we've seen the same thing but with different parts. The engine cover, rear seat headrest folding feature, and the center tie-down points in the bed all come to mind.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
As for the items they say are missing from the trucks; I believe that concern is from customers receiving the current model truck in Australia. And if you think about it, here in the USA, we've seen the same thing but with different parts. The engine cover, rear seat headrest folding feature, and the center tie-down points in the bed all come to mind.
I think there are two significant factors leading to the “disappearance” of various features. First, is the global supply-chain disruption from the COVID pandemic. Equally important, though, is that Ford monitors the use of every feature in the vehicle, through on-board logging and telemetry. They do this for the purpose of eliminating unused features. In theory, this makes for a less complex, more reliable platform, but I think it would be foolish to believe that Ford doesn’t have a profit motive.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think there are two significant factors leading to the “disappearance” of various features. First, is the global supply-chain disruption from the COVID pandemic. Equally important, though, is that Ford monitors the use of every feature in the vehicle, through on-board logging and telemetry. They do this for the purpose of eliminating unused features. In theory, this makes for a less complex, more reliable platform, but I think it would be foolish to believe that Ford doesn’t have a profit motive.
The first thing they should have done away with for non use would be the ASS feature. Bet 98% of us turn it off or Forscan it out of existence.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course! I remember watching a thing on the development of the S550 Mustang, and the development team was sitting around the conference table in a not so good meeting about a part or a feature in the design of the car that cost some pittance of $2.70. The bean counters had sent word that that $2.70 widget had to go or be redeveloped. When you think about how many Rangers they sold in 2020, roughly 101,000 trucks, I believe...

...that $2.70 widget translates to $272,700 spent! Those things add up. When you decrease the cost you increase profit. But they also have to keep the cost of the product in order to make it affordable for the market they're aiming at.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing they should have done away with for non use would be the ASS feature. Bet 98% of us turn it off or Forscan it out of existence.
They have to keep that or there is no Ford Ranger, F150, Mustang etc....

CAFE laws mandate that Fords fleet of vehicle offerings meet set fuel economy requirements. It used to be that light trucks and SUVs where exempted from the Corporate Average Fuel Economy for any particular car company, but I believe that changed under the Obama administration and now almost everything Ford manufactures is included. Without ASS, they don't make those numbers and we don't get Rangers! It really sucks.
Sponsored