First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Optima‘s aren’t what they used to be. Careful what you wish for.

DFisher

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I experience the same problem every winter. Had battery tested multiple times and its always good. I used to think it was my short commute, but I changed jobsites and drove 30 minutes each way and still had the problem. I just live with it but keep thinking about making the forescan tweak to address.

P.S. While the remote start from the app doesn't work, you can still use the key remote to remote start it. Not a problem if its outside your house/apt, but not so useful if your out of range of the remote.

Doug

2021 Ranger XLT Tremor ~28k miles

Hello,

Since it cooled here in the Vegas area (lows under 50f) the truck is basically always entering deep sleep when it is parked. I try to use the remote start to warm the engine up ahead of time but even the scheduled starts don't work due to the deep sleep. Always has a quick start, no slow cranking.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Does your auto stop/start still work?

ASS no longer working was the first sign of my battery going bad.

It was replaced under warranty.
I usually drive in tow/haul mode since it turns ASS off as well as improves shifts but the other day had it off at a red light and no, didnt shut off. So, maybe this battery thing is a good thing lol jk

Optima‘s aren’t what they used to be. Careful what you wish for.
Yeah I heard they are not made in the USA anymore but from what I recall they only had issues with their spiral batteries. The one we have in our Pilot is that flat plate design similar to Odyssey. That said, I like made in the USA items so I would probably give Odyssey a shot this time around.

Axiom

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Marine Surveyor
2020 Lariat here - and same issue.
In Canada though we get far colder weather.
After the first year, the truck started to trigger the app with "deep sleep" and yet it would remote start no problem... This year, same issue, but now the door locks would go wonky and disable the back door handle sensors, but eventually they came back at next park.

Flash forward to spring and summer and it was doing the same thing - even after days of full day driving - so it wasn't the cold.

We dealt with the dealer spanning multiple regular service visits to check the power modules, the battery, the charging system - asking them to check some of excellent trouble shooting tips from others in the group here - and each time they said "nothing is amis".

So I finally last month I just demanded they swap the battery as it's still under warranty and is the least effort to test - they agreed, and then said the battery was the fault afterwards - and not a problem since.
And the car has both sat for a few days and been frozen.

I hadn't checked back on here to look at other things - like the low charging setting in foreskin, so I'll have to check on that on the next round of tweaks - so thanks for that!

Normal voltage and charge testing said the battery was good - but I didn't load test it.
So maybe it was buggered, maybe not. it works now, that's all I care about lol.

In the meantime - I'd say skip over the drama and hit the dealer for a battery swap.
If the issue comes back - then you at least have one less fail point to argue about for testing.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor ~28k miles

Hello,

Since it cooled here in the Vegas area (lows under 50f) the truck is basically always entering deep sleep when it is parked. I try to use the remote start to warm the engine up ahead of time but even the scheduled starts don't work due to the deep sleep. Always has a quick start, no slow cranking.

Anyone have experience with this? Tempted to just buy a new Optima/Odyssey battery.

More info--------

Just had an oil change done at the dealer and battery tested ok. Through the scan gauge ii I can see with engine off it settles at 12.1v-12.2v. I have not tested for volt draw with engine off yet.

Battery is charging over 14.0v, highest sometimes 14.8v. On a long 1hr drive it might drop to 13.8v but in the summer it would usually be in the 13v range.

So, how should I feel about this? I am tempted to just buy a new battery. I saw Optima has a larger battery for the Ranger, have to check Odyssey to see if they have the larger battery too. I am more aware of these issues since we tow and camp. I always have a jump starter on hand but I also do not want to strain the alternator because it is always charging at a higher rate.

Thanks,
Anthony
Got message in phone app that mine went into deep sleep. I ignored it. When I finally went to start the truck, it refused. PITA to get it to wake up. I think my battery was very dead. I charged it @ 2 amp on dumb charger for 14 hours, because "smart" charger would not even start the charge. Finally got the output of battery to hi enough level to swap to smart charger. Now every time I park, I plugin the 800 mA smart charger. No troubles, no deep or any kind of sleep. I do worry if I get into the hinterlands, the battery will be croaked and not start the truck. I have a 220AH AGM Deep Cycle battery on my trailer I hope to use to get it started if that happens. WAY to heavy to push start.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
2020 Lariat here - and same issue.
In Canada though we get far colder weather.
After the first year, the truck started to trigger the app with "deep sleep" and yet it would remote start no problem... This year, same issue, but now the door locks would go wonky and disable the back door handle sensors, but eventually they came back at next park.

Flash forward to spring and summer and it was doing the same thing - even after days of full day driving - so it wasn't the cold.

We dealt with the dealer spanning multiple regular service visits to check the power modules, the battery, the charging system - asking them to check some of excellent trouble shooting tips from others in the group here - and each time they said "nothing is amis".

So I finally last month I just demanded they swap the battery as it's still under warranty and is the least effort to test - they agreed, and then said the battery was the fault afterwards - and not a problem since.
And the car has both sat for a few days and been frozen.

I hadn't checked back on here to look at other things - like the low charging setting in foreskin, so I'll have to check on that on the next round of tweaks - so thanks for that!

Normal voltage and charge testing said the battery was good - but I didn't load test it.
So maybe it was buggered, maybe not. it works now, that's all I care about lol.

In the meantime - I'd say skip over the drama and hit the dealer for a battery swap.
If the issue comes back - then you at least have one less fail point to argue about for testing.
Man I am surprised it took them that long to replace the battery!! Yeah I am going to take it into the dealer next week when I can afford to not have it 2-3 days. My rear backup camera intermittently doesn't work, parking brake light triggers too easily (which pulls throttle if you ignore it) and the deep sleep issue. We'll see what happens.

Got message in phone app that mine went into deep sleep. I ignored it. When I finally went to start the truck, it refused. PITA to get it to wake up. I think my battery was very dead. I charged it @ 2 amp on dumb charger for 14 hours, because "smart" charger would not even start the charge. Finally got the output of battery to hi enough level to swap to smart charger. Now every time I park, I plugin the 800 mA smart charger. No troubles, no deep or any kind of sleep. I do worry if I get into the hinterlands, the battery will be croaked and not start the truck. I have a 220AH AGM Deep Cycle battery on my trailer I hope to use to get it started if that happens. WAY to heavy to push start.
Yeah I think this truck is too "connected" to the internet so there is enough power draw when parked to cause issues. The battery is quite small. Maybe normal for mid-size but considering a truck which may have aftermarket lights and such, I would have expected a bigger battery.

You may want to look into a capacitor style jump starter. I keep one in the truck. Used it now twice to help others. Best thing about it is it can jump a dead battery, just takes a lot longer for the capacitor to charge. Usually when I jump someone I have charged the capacitor off the truck which takes about 2mins. Reviews where they tested it with a dead battery took about 20-30mins but if you are in the middle of nowhere, it would be a life saver.

I got it for that reason but also that it can be stored in MUCH hotter temps than battery based jump starters, which is a plus in the desert. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086L29DL9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone have instructions on how to change this in Forscan?

I have the app and correct cable.

EDIT: NVM super easy. Just go into BCM it's right there.
Sponsored

Last edited: