Fabricator/welder
Vehicle Showcase

Discuss and thoughts.
Sponsored

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
Ugh that army green color on the Pro is gonna look really good and has me thinking about a Tacoma again. But they still didn't address my biggest complaint and that's engine/transmission. Supposedly there's a software tune that makes a huge difference but it sucks having to pay $800+ to fix what Toyota should have done all along.

It's gonna be a tough choice because Tacoma was what I wanted until I found out about the Ranger.

Link to ECU reflash
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ovtune-tacoma-3-5l-auto-transmission-engine-ecu-reflash.515190/

Last edited:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Lipstick, meet :piggybank:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
My last two trucks have been Tacoma’s. I think the interior design on the 2020 Tacoma looks better than the Ranger. I also like the new 360 degree camera on the Tacoma. They finally added power seats which is a really big deal on that truck because the seating position is terrible. Having driven the 2019 Tacoma though, the ride quality, visibility and drive train is much worse than the Ranger. The engine/transmission combo feels really sluggish especially after you put a few people in there.

If you are looking for a truck you will drive every day I think the Ranger has it beat pretty squarely. If you are looking for a truck to primarily off-road in I’m sure the Tacoma deserves a long look or wait for the Gladiator. For my needs (daily driver, road trips, pulling a trailer, back roads, family vacations) the Ranger is the better choice because it’s pretty enjoyable to drive vs the Tacoma. This refresh definitely brought the Tacoma closer though. If you don’t care about how the truck handles, the Tacoma is a good package with very refined internal features and popular styling as well as great resale. I’ll probably still order a Ranger but I would like to see if they tweak anything for 2020. Especially a 60/40 back seat.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My last two trucks have been Tacoma’s. I think the interior design on the 2020 Tacoma looks better than the Ranger. I also like the new 360 degree camera on the Tacoma. They finally added power seats which is a really big deal on that truck because the seating position is terrible. Having driven the 2019 Tacoma though, the ride quality, visibility and drive train is much worse than the Ranger. The engine/transmission combo feels really sluggish especially after you put a few people in there.

If you are looking for a truck you will drive every day I think the Ranger has it beat pretty squarely. If you are looking for a truck to primarily off-road in I’m sure the Tacoma deserves a long look or wait for the Gladiator. For my needs (daily driver, road trips, pulling a trailer, back roads, family vacations) the Ranger is the better choice because it’s pretty enjoyable to drive vs the Tacoma. This refresh definitely brought the Tacoma closer though. If you don’t care about how the truck handles, the Tacoma is a good package with very refined internal features and popular styling as well as great resale. I’ll probably still order a Ranger but I would like to see if they tweak anything for 2020. Especially a 60/40 back seat.
It really sounds like all they did was some cosmetic upgrades and do a couple things (power seats, Apply Car Play/Android Auto) to bring it up to parity with most of the rest of the group. The one nice thing is that 360 view - that sounds like a cool feature. But I totally agree - if/until they deal with the engine/trans combo, the Tacoma is definitely a no go for me.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I think the latest MotorTrend comparison that came out this week sums it up nicely. The Tacoma looks the best in the segment, but overall it's the worst truck in the segment. The ride is awful, the brakes are awful, the engine is awful, the transmission is awful, and the interior space is even worse. Who are they trying to kid by selling 15 year old midsize and fullsize trucks with new sheetmetal and tail lights?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the latest MotorTrend comparison that came out this week sums it up nicely. The Tacoma looks the best in the segment, but overall it's the worst truck in the segment. The ride is awful, the brakes are awful, the engine is awful, the transmission is awful, and the interior space is even worse. Who are they trying to kid by selling 15 year old midsize and fullsize trucks with new sheetmetal and tail lights?
Looks are so subjective. For me, I wouldn't consider the Tacoma the best looking one in the segment. I really like the look of the Ranger. I know some people think the Tacoma looks "tough", but that grille just looks like a smiling kid with braces on to me.... I guess it might grow on me, but it isn't my favorite for sure.

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 ZJ, '17 JKU, '14 WK2
I really wanted a Taco until I drove one. It took about 3 minutes for me to say, "um, no." Too bad because I like Toyota and I think the Taco looks the best in the segment. It was loud, anemic, not comfortable, and cramped.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted a Taco until I drove one. It took about 3 minutes for me to say, "um, no." Too bad because I like Toyota and I think the Taco looks the best in the segment. It was loud, anemic, not comfortable, and cramped.
I initially thought I'd end up with the Taco, then a sat in one. It really let me down and I walked away confused and turned off. I guess that's why there are other trucks to choose, everyone has different preferences.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I initially thought I'd end up with the Taco, then a sat in one. It really let me down and I walked away confused and turned off. I guess that's why there are other trucks to choose, everyone has different preferences.
Did you ever drive it? Just wondering..... To me, the seats were OK (not great, but OK - the Ranger seats are WAY more comfortable). For me, it was the test drive that left me confused and turned off. The engine/trans combo is the worst of any vehicle I've ever driven. And I've driven some pretty terrible cars from the 80's.... :)

Last edited:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever drive it? Just wondering..... To me, the seas were OK (not great, but OK - the Ranger seats are WAY more confortable). For me, it was the test drive that left me confused and turned off. The engine/trans combo is the worst of any vehicle I've ever driven. And I've driven some pretty terrible cars from the 80's.... :)
I actually didn't; the whole Toyota dealer experience was odd. The salesman never offered and seemed bothered that I was wasting his time, I seemed to know more about the truck than he did and once I sat in the drivers seat it was an instant no go for me anyway. The manager took me aside before I left to do the hard sell saying they had a limited time offer, yada yada but it just seemed like they expected me to automatically love the truck. Kept spouting on about how like 80% of mid sized are Tacos. I didn't care about that, just want a truck that is right for me.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually didn't; the whole Toyota dealer experience was odd. The salesman never offered and seemed bothered that I was wasting his time, I seemed to know more about the truck than he did and once I sat in the drivers seat it was an instant no go for me anyway. The manager took me aside before I left to do the hard sell saying they had a limited time offer, yada yada but it just seemed like they expected me to automatically love the truck. Kept spouting on about how like 80% of mid sized are Tacos. I didn't care about that, just want a truck that is right for me.
Yeah, the Toyota dealer experience was a bit odd for me too. They went on and on on resale value. And how I was "finally seeing the light" and wanting a Toyota instead of a Ford. Even though I told them I wasn't ready to buy for a few months, they did the hard sell before they let me leave.

It amazes me how different dealers can be - When we test drove our C-Max, the salesman didn't even come with us - he just said "drive it as long as you want". When we got done he just said "let me know if you want to buy and we can figure out a deal". It was a great experience - WAY different than a lot of dealers do. I'm amazed that there are still dealers who do the old school hard sell - amazed they can exist in this day and age.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Off the top of my head, things the 2020 Tacoma is lacking when compared to the 2019 Ranger and other competition:
  • locking rear axle option on RWD and other non TRD Off Road trims
  • power locking factory tailgate with key fob
  • front & rear parking sensors
  • fully boxed frame
  • front & rear steel bumper
  • steel bed (no plastic composite)
  • power folding side mirrors
  • trailer blind spot monitoring
  • rear disc brakes
  • wi-fi hotspot
  • phone based remote start via Ford Pass app
  • auto high beams
  • 110v household power plug
  • all 4 door keyless entry on Lariat (correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but lipstick on an old pig indeed.