Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Was in a hurry last night.

Quick takeaways - Honda, Audi, Cadillac, Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar, Mazda, Acura, Infinity, and Mitsubishi all skipped it this year.

Fewest concept cars I've seen at the Auto Show. Toyota had one. That was it. A few pre-production prototypes were there - Nissan Z being one and it was really nice. Other than that, it was all stock of dealer lots. I've never seen that before.

Lots of test ride tracks. Ford and Jeep had big ones to show off Bronco and Wrangler (Gladiator can't make it around the Jeep track due to break over angles). Ram had a "look at my truck go over speed bumps" track. Unimpressive. Toyota had a "sit in the passenger seat while a driver backs a boat up" track, and then an area where Tundras drove in circles. Lame. Subaru had a nice Rain Forest Cafe that the Wilderness line was in but no track to demonstrate the capabilities, which seems pretty telling (and I'm speaking from a point of one of our other cars being a Subaru - or what we refer to now as the "it's at the dealer getting fixed" car.

The new Frontier surprised me. Really sharp looking inside and out. They had the best hype game going too. The grey one in my pics was my favorite - cool retro look.

The Tacoma with a camper was called Taco Zilla. It was pretty but when I asked the builder about what they had done to increase payload capacity, they admitted they did nothing. So the truck isn't really usable since the camper eats a ton of the capacity of the truck.

GMC and Chevy have a crisis on their hands; tiny crowds compared to everyone else. Especially true of GMC/Buick - long stretches of the day where there were zero people stopping to look. The Vette and Traverse/Blazer the only things drawing people to Chevy.

Ford was bananas; between the Bronco and Mach-E, they had half the crowd in their area most of the day.

Santa Cruz is cheap, hot garbage. Few adult males will fit in the cockpit. The bed is silly. Maverick was better in every regard. Both are tiny compared to Ranger, and even smaller compared to Ridgeline. Maverick had a crowd, Santa Cruz did not.

VW and Kia were killing the crossover interest; Telluride, Sorento, Atlas, and Atlas Cross Sport were huge draws. Expect to see even more of them on the road.

The Expedition Timberline as pretty awesome if you're into that sort of thing. Jeep Wagoneer was too. Both were in the six figure category. Crazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Also - the F100 Eliminator was both cooler and lamer in person. It's flipping gorgeous and I'd have it in a heartbeat if it was offered. However, the articles I've read all give the impressions that this was a motor swap. It's not. The body is sitting on a highly modified Mach-E chassis. Not the sort of thing a garage monkey is going to do at home with their electric crate motor. But it was still badass.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I haven't had a chance to look at a Frontier on the lots. Like everything else they just aren't there, as they sell when they hit the ground. But, the ones I've seen on the road are quite good lookin'. Not that I would want one, but they do look nice.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a chance to look at a Frontier on the lots. Like everything else they just aren't there, as they sell when they hit the ground. But, the ones I've seen on the road are quite good lookin'. Not that I would want one, but they do look nice.
Same here - none to be found and I've only seen one on the road. I didn't love the hood from inside - it's long and even harder to see over than ours but it's a good looking truck. It's like Nissan took the best bits of Ranger and Tacoma and put them together. I wouldn't trade mine for one now that I've been driving it for few months but if they were available when I was looking to buy, I might have been persuaded to go that route.

Nissan was leaning hard into the Datsun part of their heritage on all their vehicles and displays. Lots of throwback colors and they even had "Datsun" on all their signs.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
This looked promising, but a quick look at the Ford website shows this. More cool stuff we can't buy.
1645456732283.png
I didn't see much functionally that was unique about it - seemed more like a dress-up kit.

30AughtTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 4Runner, 18 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Oil/Gas R&D
Also - the F100 Eliminator was both cooler and lamer in person.
*Eluminator - classic Ford name play off of eliminator.

Cool watch on Jay Lenos Garage on Youtube!