JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Wow most of you seem to be getting hood numbers. Either o get bad luck with cars or dont know what's going on. I come from a 2015 Volkswagen wagon TDI . Everyone claimed to be getting way over 45 mpgs where I couldn't make it pass 38. And I would be easy on the pedal.
Now with this
2019 lariat fx4 crew cab. I drive an average of 120 miles a day. I cant make it pass 21 mpg. Some tanks are as good as 20.3 but I average 19ish.
No Matter how I drive it. I can baby drive it one complete tank and it be the same as my next tank even if i plunge it.
how many miles on it?

at 1K I had a jump from 16-17 to 19-20 and then now at 5K it's increased some to 20-21 most drives are at 73MPH and around 270 mile trips.
toward the end of the month, I'll be making a big trip from eastern MT through Yellowstone Park, Teton Park, and into CO Rocky Mountain park and see how it does. I'm sure I'll be happy because I sure am so far.
Sponsored

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
22.6 mpg at 80 mph on an Idaho Hwy. Felt that was pretty good for a 4 banger in a truck.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Just did a 300 mile round trip with speeds between 45 and 70 off interstate (roughly 1/2 the trip) and Interstate speeds between 75 & 80; hand calculated 27 mpg Truck calculated 26.2 mpg.
Either way I am a happy camper...

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
how many miles on it?

at 1K I had a jump from 16-17 to 19-20 and then now at 5K it's increased some to 20-21 most drives are at 73MPH and around 270 mile trips.
toward the end of the month, I'll be making a big trip from eastern MT through Yellowstone Park, Teton Park, and into CO Rocky Mountain park and see how it does. I'm sure I'll be happy because I sure am so far.
I'm just a 200 miles short of 5000

JackK

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier - Ranger on order
I have two questions.

1. Same question as several others: how accurate is the electronic calculator? I calculate the milage after each fill-up. Manually I get about 20 MPG. The dash display indicates about 21.5.
2X4 with suburban style driving.

2. Filling up. When I fill up, I can squeeze in an extra 2+ gallons if I keep waiting for the air bubbles to get out. That fills it to the neck. Am I losing gas from any vents?

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I have two questions.

1. Same question as several others: how accurate is the electronic calculator? I calculate the milage after each fill-up. Manually I get about 20 MPG. The dash display indicates about 21.5.

2. Filling up. When I fill up, I can squeeze in an extra 2+ gallons if I keep waiting for the air bubbles to get out. That fills it to the neck. Am I losing gas from any vents?
Just returned from vacation. On every fill-up the computer was about 1.5 to 2 mpg greater than hand calculation. Every vehicle I've owned that computer your mpg was anywhere from .5 to 2 mpg high.

Deleted member 1634

I have two questions.

Mine is usually between 0.5 to 1.5 mpg off. Good enough for me to estimate by and I always put my tanks in Fuelly anyways, which does it's own calculation.

I've always heard you shouldn't put more gas in past when the pump shuts off (unless it's a bad pump that only puts in a few gallons when you know you've used way more than that). Supposedly that extra gas gets dumped into the vapor space and evaporation canister area, which is supposed to be empty in case the gas expands it has somewhere to go. When you overfill, you supposedly fill all that extra space so if the gas has to expand it can't, causing undue pressure on your tank and fuel system, possibly damaging it. Again, just what I've always heard, so I just say why risk it. You're paying for the gas whether you stuff extra in now (which you may not be able to use anyways), or have to fill up a few miles earlier at your next stop. It's not really saving you any money as far as I can figure.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have two questions.

To adjust the computer acuracy you can do this:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/
2. I never fill more than the first time the nozzle stops.
WARNING: Stop refueling when
the fuel pump nozzle automatically
shuts off for the first time. Failure to
follow this will fill the expansion space
in the fuel tank and could lead to fuel
overflowing.
WARNING: Do not overfill the fuel
tank. The pressure in an overfilled tank
may cause leakage and lead to fuel spray
and fire.
WARNING: Wait at least five
seconds before removing the fuel pump
nozzle to allow any residual fuel to drain
into the fuel tank.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I agree on the overfilling, once the nozzle stops automatically I will only go to the next even dollar. Not even sure why I do that since it’s always on my credit card anyways so it makes no difference.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If you keep over filling the fuel tank you're going to cause yourself a lot of problems. Extra gas isn't going to increase your MPG's

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
If you keep over filling the fuel tank you're going to cause yourself a lot of problems. Extra gas isn't going to increase your MPG's
No but it make a BIG difference if I have to stop for fuel on Tuesday or.....well, Tuesday. LOL...

No, in reality, it is just a habit left over from driving my old tech cars that actually had something called a gas cap. Right now, out of 4 cars (family needs transportation too) and 2 motorcycles, only my Harley has a gas cap!

JackK

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier - Ranger on order
THanks for the replies.

RTFM. After looking in the manual I found the warnings about overfilling the gas tanl.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I hate winter mix fuel........was getting 26.4 this summer.

After Change over to winter mix......now 25.2

Ugh. Hope it doesnt keep dropping. Might have to switch to 91 in the winter.
Sponsored