20,000 Mile Report

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
weld splatter on the muffler (really?
I actually LOL'd on that one. Agree whole heartedly. But we are all different.

I expect to like my truck once it arrives, and see very few faults. Generally the way I roll with vehicles.

Nice review. Thx for posting.
Sponsored

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
HOT DAMN...I really did not know that !!! Towing as much/often as I do for what a few quarts of fluid costs, I like to change every 12-15,000 miles.
Just looked...there plain as day...there it was !!! Never noticed it !!!
Thank you sir !!!
Now if someone will come up with a cheaper alternative to the $$$$$ B&M trans dippy stick......
Our truck has a dip stick for the trans. C'mon it is perfect size, all 2 inches of it.

TheHyper1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
Data Analyist
Thanks for the review and the pics! Beautiful land and scenery! I agree with almost all of your points. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Cactus that just turned over 4K miles in her first 3 months.

OP
OP
WingShot

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Looks like you had a great hunt, and yeah preserve is a relatively easy hunt , if you miss always more to shoot, my trips were company sponsored so we tried to make sure customers were successful, preserve did get you around the 12 noon and 3 bird limit though. A well trained bird dog is so important. For me now preparing for 3rd season elk
What unit are you hunting in? You might have quite a bit of fresh snow to deal with. Wish you luck!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
What unit are you hunting in? You might have quite a bit of fresh snow to deal with. Wish you luck!
No shortage of snow where I reside, 8" fell yesterday, unit 77 & 78, new to me but saw a pickup yesterday with a big rack sticking above the bed , pic of a herd ~ 80 , that periodically crosses my property, about 30' from my back deck, it's now broken to smaller groups but a few weeks back looked out the bedroom window around 3 am and saw a massive, perhaps the dominant bull feeding ~ 15' away. Of course this happens to be a resident herd that mostly hangs in non huntable areas. When the big herd comes by it takes about 5 minutes for them to pass thru the area in the pic, except one evening something spooked them and if you were in the way you'd be pounded into the ground, saw 8 or so bulls but one massive dominant one who was driving off the other bulls when they got in the vicinity of cows. Kind of cool watching them but would be even cooler to shoot one or 2 or 3 :)

elk.jpg

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like that color, but yours may have sold me!!! Looks great with the topper!

OP
OP
WingShot

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
No shortage of snow where I reside, 8" fell yesterday, unit 77 & 78, new to me but saw a pickup yesterday with a big rack sticking above the bed , pic of a herd ~ 80 , that periodically crosses my property, about 30' from my back deck, it's now broken to smaller groups but a few weeks back looked out the bedroom window around 3 am and saw a massive, perhaps the dominant bull feeding ~ 15' away. Of course this happens to be a resident herd that mostly hangs in non huntable areas. When the big herd comes by it takes about 5 minutes for them to pass thru the area in the pic, except one evening something spooked them and if you were in the way you'd be pounded into the ground, saw 8 or so bulls but one massive dominant one who was driving off the other bulls when they got in the vicinity of cows. Kind of cool watching them but would be even cooler to shoot one or 2 or 3 :)

elk.jpg
I love it down there. Beautiful country! I've chased turkey's around Delores a couple times, always jealous of the land around Pagosa Springs.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I love it down there. Beautiful country! I've chased turkey's around Delores a couple times, always jealous of the land around Pagosa Springs.
Beats living in Denver, but we retired here. Dolores is still relatively affordable but it gets a bit warm in the summer and a bit too barren in some areas. Guys I usually hunt with scored 2 elks on opening day 1st season at Groundhog, then they fished for 5 days and caught > 500 fish. I fished the river below the dam at mcphee last summer and was disappointed, also did some fishing north of Creede and it gets too hot there in the summer, there are good spots around Pagosa . The Mex restaurant on the west end of Dolores is pretty good.

ntechnic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat
Occupation
Small business owner
Thank you for a great post. You are 100% correct about expectations, if you're like me and your first truck was 1970 Ford and you've owned 20 more since then, than you really appreciate how utterly amazing this truck is! My favorite quote of yours, "Rake/Tailgate Height - It’s a truck, I tow stuff. I’m short and carry a step stool. So what?" LOL, I have always kept a little two stepper in the bed of all of trucks. Nailed it man!

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
I placed a deposit on an “In Transit” 2021 Ranger XLT (Tremor, 301A, Tow Package) in July of ’21, at a dealership a few hours away from Denver in Silverthorne, CO. I picked it up four weeks later, and paid $500 below sticker for a total of $42,435.

On my annual hunting trip to Montana last week it rolled over 20,000 miles after 14 months of ownership. Coming in close to my yearly average over the last 20 years or so (~17,000/yr).

Overall, I am completely satisfied with the truck. So much of our satisfaction vs. disappointment is based on our expectations going in; It has met or exceeded my expectations in just about every way.

Disappointments are minor, and not related to the performance of the truck. Just little things that would make my life easier: More useful tie down options in the bed and better rear seat storage, more reliable and robust InfoTainment center, B&O sound system & LED headlights w/out the other Lariat add-ons. Most things are much better than anything I’ve had before and certainly in line with what I expect in a $40K vehicle.

Things that don’t bother me…

Bouncy Ride - Tremor package helps, so does keeping some weight in the back, but has never concerned me.

ASS - Easy ways around it: turn it off, use Tow/Sport/4WD options, and I like it at long stoplights and railroad crossings.

Rake/Tailgate Height - It’s a truck, I tow stuff. I’m short and carry a step stool. So what?

Driveshaft shutter, bucking/surging, mushy brakes, fuel in oil, 18 gallon gas tank (it’s probably close to 20), weld splatter on the muffler (really?), no heated seats, no engine cover, no tailgate assist…blah blah blah.

Any creature comfort/ergonomic issues that don’t fit my body type. These things are designed to accommodate a fictional “average” person. None of us are average.

Things that have exceeded my expectations…

The trucks overall power and performance. It pulls like a champ and is fun to drive!

Off-road capability.

Versatility.

It’s just a $42K mid-size truck, and an XLT at that. I got what I paid for and would buy it again!!

Recent pics below...just because.

BarnTruck.jpg

BarnBirds.jpg

HoneyHole.JPG

Hunting.jpg

Nakai.jpg

Tailgate.jpg

WingNakai.JPG
Love how your buddy is staring at you, dogs are the best

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I'm almost at a year with my Ranger Tremor, got it near the end of November.
Little over 20 K on it. That includes 2 back and forth trips to Vermont from WV.
Overall Im happy with it.
Mileage has held steady in the mid 20's.

Few things I need to get looked at: the shudder, vibration is getting worse, almost feels like the motor has a miss in it.
Still one of the more uncomfortable trucks I've owned, just like my former Tacoma.

Bravesfan1995

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Construction
I placed a deposit on an “In Transit” 2021 Ranger XLT (Tremor, 301A, Tow Package) in July of ’21, at a dealership a few hours away from Denver in Silverthorne, CO. I picked it up four weeks later, and paid $500 below sticker for a total of $42,435.

On my annual hunting trip to Montana last week it rolled over 20,000 miles after 14 months of ownership. Coming in close to my yearly average over the last 20 years or so (~17,000/yr).

Overall, I am completely satisfied with the truck. So much of our satisfaction vs. disappointment is based on our expectations going in; It has met or exceeded my expectations in just about every way.

Disappointments are minor, and not related to the performance of the truck. Just little things that would make my life easier: More useful tie down options in the bed and better rear seat storage, more reliable and robust InfoTainment center, B&O sound system & LED headlights w/out the other Lariat add-ons. Most things are much better than anything I’ve had before and certainly in line with what I expect in a $40K vehicle.

Things that don’t bother me…

Bouncy Ride - Tremor package helps, so does keeping some weight in the back, but has never concerned me.

ASS - Easy ways around it: turn it off, use Tow/Sport/4WD options, and I like it at long stoplights and railroad crossings.

Rake/Tailgate Height - It’s a truck, I tow stuff. I’m short and carry a step stool. So what?

Driveshaft shutter, bucking/surging, mushy brakes, fuel in oil, 18 gallon gas tank (it’s probably close to 20), weld splatter on the muffler (really?), no heated seats, no engine cover, no tailgate assist…blah blah blah.

Any creature comfort/ergonomic issues that don’t fit my body type. These things are designed to accommodate a fictional “average” person. None of us are average.

Things that have exceeded my expectations…

The trucks overall power and performance. It pulls like a champ and is fun to drive!

Off-road capability.

Versatility.

It’s just a $42K mid-size truck, and an XLT at that. I got what I paid for and would buy it again!!

Recent pics below...just because.

BarnTruck.jpg

BarnBirds.jpg

HoneyHole.JPG

Hunting.jpg

Nakai.jpg

Tailgate.jpg

WingNakai.JPG
Just curious on the driveshaft shuttering, is this normal? I’ve put 1000 miles on my tremor (drove it off the lot with 11miles) and I’ve noticed the shutter when I’m very light on the gas. It tends to happen around 20mph 35-45mph, but only when I’m easy on the gas. I had the dealership look at it when I had the tonneau cover installed, but they claimed that it’s characteristic of the tremor due to cv joints ILO of u joints that come on the lower trim levels of the truck. I’m concerned that I’m getting the run around and also concerned with long term wear and tear on the vehicle… I haven’t seen a ton of people with the tremor complaining about this issue. The main complaint I hear is on non tremor models and there’s a TSB out to fix the issue on other trims but not the tremor.

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Just curious on the driveshaft shuttering, is this normal? I’ve put 1000 miles on my tremor (drove it off the lot with 11miles) and I’ve noticed the shutter when I’m very light on the gas. It tends to happen around 20mph 35-45mph, but only when I’m easy on the gas. I had the dealership look at it when I had the tonneau cover installed, but they claimed that it’s characteristic of the tremor due to cv joints ILO of u joints that come on the lower trim levels of the truck. I’m concerned that I’m getting the run around and also concerned with long term wear and tear on the vehicle… I haven’t seen a ton of people with the tremor complaining about this issue. The main complaint I hear is on non tremor models and there’s a TSB out to fix the issue on other trims but not the tremor.
Drivetrain shudder under low throttle is an issue across all rangers. Mixture of the 2 piece driveshaft and tendency for the 10 speed to lug the engine in an attempt to save MPG. It is annoying, but not bad for the truck. You have a couple options to address this if you want:
1. Tunes tend to help with this
2. 1 piece driveshaft allegedly helps, have not tried this myself
3. Drive in tow/haul mode or sport mode
4. (my personal favorite and cheapest) just mash the throttle when it lugs so the trans downshifts.

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
Ford updated their Oil to have it already.
Screenshot_20230705-205711~3.png

I just hit 20k too. Haven't had a fuel in oil problem yet. Got a air oil separator from Ford just recently. The lights are okay not great. And the B&O isn't really worth it. But those are just my opinions. But it's been pretty good so far though.

Bravesfan1995

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Construction
Drivetrain shudder under low throttle is an issue across all rangers. Mixture of the 2 piece driveshaft and tendency for the 10 speed to lug the engine in an attempt to save MPG. It is annoying, but not bad for the truck. You have a couple options to address this if you want:
1. Tunes tend to help with this
2. 1 piece driveshaft allegedly helps, have not tried this myself
3. Drive in tow/haul mode or sport mode
4. (my personal favorite and cheapest) just mash the throttle when it lugs so the trans downshifts.
Thanks for the reply and advice. Definitely provides some reassurance and solutions. I’ve done some research on 1 piece driveshafts, but will probably wait until the truck is paid off and the warranty is expired to make any major modifications.

I’ve been using a combo of sport and a lead foot since I hit about 800 miles and it’s less noticeable.

Other than the shudder I’m in love with the truck. It’s been an incredible experience having a new truck coming from a 02 f-150 and then 11 wrangler. 🤙🏻
Sponsored