“Pathetic quality”: RV dealers are fed up with what manufacturers are producing

Freqz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, 1977 Scout II
For small, light, non molded fiberglas - conventional styled trailers - Lance and Winnebago are very similar in construction, but The Winnie Micro Minnie series is cheaper and has fewer reported problems.

ORV / Arctic Fox are the best built conventional RV trailers, but are mostly too heavy for a Ranger.

For light, with fewer problems molded fiberglass is certainly much better than conventional builders. In the fiberglass world of current smallish trailers, it goes least to best from:
Scamp, Casita, Escape, Bigfoot, Oliver.

There are a few more fiberglass trailer builders, but they either tend to come and go, or are niche builders.

Having recently searched for a year, and then waited 9 months for my ordered trailer, and having visited several factories, and spent time on many forums, plus 50+ years experience, I still see Escape as the quality to dollar leader.
I haven’t kept up with Lance since they were acquired by Thor (same company that put out some problematic airstreams after buying those guys), but pre-buyout (2017ish?) they were great trailers that would pair well with a Ranger in the smaller versions.

Agree strongly with the fiberglass eggs— they’re great! I almost bought a 25’ Bigfoot when I bought my previous trailer, a 24’ ORV. The ORV was great for the 4 years I had it but HEAVY. The smallest ORVs could pair well with a Ranger but you’d be at the upper limit. (Same for Nash)

Don’t discount pop ups and a frame trailers— they’re inexpensive, easy to tow, and easy to store and you can have A LOT of fun with them.

My rule of thumb for worry free bumper pull RV towing is don’t let the weight of the trailer exceed the weight of the tow vehicle. For a Ranger that’d be looking at 4500 pound GVWR trailers. You can fit more by the numbers, of course, but this is supposed to be fun. :). That kind of weight range should pair well lengthwise with the short wheelbase on these trucks as well.
Sponsored

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Unfortunately, since Lance sold, they are no longer the same quality.

rondowe

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, FX4
Re quality: Yes, there are quality control issues which makes the choice of dealer very important. I recently bought a Lance 1995 for multi-month trips because of the better construction quality than most, 4-season capability, storage, and it's a good match for the ranger in terms of total weight and tongue weight. In the month that I've had it, I've taken it in twice, once for a water heater issue that was fixed in a couple hours, and a few days ago for a problem with the refrigerator and other things they're still working on. There were a couple minor issues such as the tv antenna getting jammed and a latch not aligned correctly. I checked out the dealer as carefully as I evaluated trailers and still think both trailer and dealer were a good choice for my needs. I also spoke with dealers I wouldn't buy anything from and read complaints of dealers quoting multi-month wait times for warranty repairs. As others mentioned, much depends on how you will use it. Plan on doing a thorough pre-delivery inspection before you tow it off the lot. Checklists are available on-line and check out owner groups/websites for whatever you plan to buy. I also considered Grand Design. I liked the floorplans better than the Lance I bought, but decided the design quality, better insulation, heated underbelly, and dual-pane windows of the Lance were more important for my needs and worth the extra cost.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
From this article :

https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-quality-rv-dealers-fed-manufacturers-producing-1017b/

Wife and I have made a number of camping trips this year - staying in our tent, but I'd estimate in campgrounds 2/3 or maybe more "campers" have RVs. And according to articles purchases have accelerated greatly since 2019, f'cst was for 600k units in 2022. And I've been to some fairly remote dispersed camping areas where there are good sized RVs -areas accessed by narrow rough mtn roads.

As we sat in our tent during a lengthy downpour we had a conversation about maybe it's time to buy a small or midsize camper to tow with the ranger. Recommendations are appreciated. The keyword is smaller as we have numerous friends with large RVs or motor homes and not planning on going that route. And don't see a roof top tent as a solution for us, I am 70 yrs old and despite sleeping on a cot with an air mattress my arthritic back has been causing me grief.

thanks
I know you said no roof top tent. FYI, RTT's will have a solid smooth flat floor on which your mattress lays, sleep great. I have one atop an 800 pound Alumline Trailer. Coul
Truck and trailer with tent.jpg
d not be happier. Sleep dry and off the dirt. Trailer able to haul more than I will ever carry.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
A 1995 Lance is not one of the newer lightweight models, nor is it one since Lance was sold. There are pros and cons to that, but the issues you listed were mostly supplier issues, not parts Lance built.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like the RV industry is starting to feel the effects of the economy this past month. For the first time July had less sales than the previous year and RV's are starting to stack up on both the dealers lots and the manufacturers lots. Also may manufacturers have cut back on their workers hours and not because of parts constraints but because there's no where to put all these trailers in the lot now. In other words demand is way down now. With the '23's coming out soon I'd expect to see some good sales soon.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
We're looking at the Winnebago Micro Minnie FLX. It tops out at a GVWR of 5500 lbs.

2108FBS.jpg
I'm really a fan of this size and layout for a 2 person camper. Cant say I'm a fan of the price though. That's a full 1/5th of what my actual house is worth. :frown:

Bshusker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 F150 94 F150 92 Ranger 97 Ranger
Occupation
Truck driver
My 2cents is Scamp! Love there product, the bad is they are 2yrs out when you order, 500 dollar deposit to reserve your spot in line and there is a possibility of them calling and see if you want to move your order up.
20220721_153926.jpg

The 2020 pulling my buddies 2010 13ft Scamp
20220723_102802.jpg
20220723_102817.jpg
even have a 19ft 5th wheel that our Rangers can pull
20220723_102925.jpg

Bshusker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 F150 94 F150 92 Ranger 97 Ranger
Occupation
Truck driver
Here is some pics of the Scamp factory tour I went on. They are very nice made units. Let me know if you would like anymore pics or information. I have a 16ft deluxe on order due the spring of 24
20220723_113123.jpg
20220723_112853.jpg
20220723_112658.jpg
20220723_112536.jpg
20220723_103832.jpg
20220723_103800.jpg

Last edited:

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Looks like the RV industry is starting to feel the effects of the economy this past month. For the first time July had less sales than the previous year and RV's are starting to stack up on both the dealers lots and the manufacturers lots. Also may manufacturers have cut back on their workers hours and not because of parts constraints but because there's no where to put all these trailers in the lot now. In other words demand is way down now. With the '23's coming out soon I'd expect to see some good sales soon.

I like the Big Truck/Big RV channel.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
If I had the space to keep it/work on it, I could see myself doing a cargo trailer conversion.

I've looked a bit into what would be involved to do the job, and it's mostly not bad. It would definitely put forth some incentive for me to finish learning to weld.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i saw a cargo trailer conversion online someplace where the builder took a 5x10 and made the bed across the aft end with only about half a foot to spare between bed and rear doors. put a thin wall in between the two and made that tiny space between the doors and wall a small galley area with sink, cook top and storage. on the opposite end of the trailer he put a toilet on the center line of the v of the forward end with the sitting end of the bowl turned more toward the curb side wall, then rest of the remaining are was divided with another thin wall and was a shower with a hanging closet. the bed was built fairly high off the floor and under the bed was the plumbing and gas for the galley and then storage cubbies. he flipped the axel giving a lil but of ground clerance and put on decent tires. I loved it! had everything i needed for the three S' style camper and no extra bs. of course it had ac and a few lights.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I am kind of liking my tent trailer. It is some work setting up 1/2 hour max. It has everything but a bathroom and I like that I can stand up in it. One queen bed and one twin bed.
Prineville.jpg
Sponsored