New Owner Questions - Not in the book

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
1 - I know it's a ten speed tranny. Test driving the F150 you can see what gear you are in- How can I do that in my new Ranger? is is possible while in "D" Drive to see what gear it is currently in?

2 - Voltage meter. Are we able to see the voltage read somewhere in the dash? I like knowing that I am charging when driving and often do battery voltage check when doing maintenace items to see the condition of the battery. I was surprised when I brought Vroomhilda home she was not at a good resting voltage so I slow charged it up and now all is well.
Sponsored

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
1. On the shifter hit the + or - button while in drive. You will see the gears displayed in the cluster.
2. I am unaware of a volt or amp gauge in the cluster. It wouldn't surprise me to find a battery in a new car not at full charge.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
1 - I know it's a ten speed tranny. Test driving the F150 you can see what gear you are in- How can I do that in my new Ranger? is is possible while in "D" Drive to see what gear it is currently in?

2 - Voltage meter. Are we able to see the voltage read somewhere in the dash? I like knowing that I am charging when driving and often do battery voltage check when doing maintenace items to see the condition of the battery. I was surprised when I brought Vroomhilda home she was not at a good resting voltage so I slow charged it up and now all is well.
Amazon has these voltage meters that plug into your 12V port. They work well. I got one after my battery totally died and had to be replaced. https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/...ryId=&returnUnitIndices=&shipmentId=DxpRNMmZ1

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I did the same thing with mine. I knew the truck had been sitting for a while on the dealers back lot so decided to throw it on one of my tenders when I got it home. Charged her up to full and let it maintain overnight.

I stumbled across this post as a search because I am wondering if other folks are having parasitic drain. I am used to it on my sports cars and they sit on tenders constantly. I would think the Ranger's battery would be more robust. Granted I don't drive the truck very often maybe once a week but it seems to drop quite a bit. I put one on it today to check because it had been sitting for two weeks w/o a drive and the Schumacher said it was at 55% when it ran it's tests. So curious to what others are seeing after a week or two of sitting. I haven't had any issues and she starts right up every time even when I don't throw it on a tender.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same thing with mine. I knew the truck had been sitting for a while on the dealers back lot so decided to throw it on one of my tenders when I got it home. Charged her up to full and let it maintain overnight.

I stumbled across this post as a search because I am wondering if other folks are having parasitic drain. I am used to it on my sports cars and they sit on tenders constantly. I would think the Ranger's battery would be more robust. Granted I don't drive the truck very often maybe once a week but it seems to drop quite a bit. I put one on it today to check because it had been sitting for two weeks w/o a drive and the Schumacher said it was at 55% when it ran it's tests. So curious to what others are seeing after a week or two of sitting. I haven't had any issues and she starts right up every time even when I don't throw it on a tender.
Hi M97,

I had to fly to Michigan for two weeks to tend to our intellectually challenged daughter and her life partner who is equally damaged. The Ranger sat for two weeks in the airport parking. I got a notice on my email that the Ranger had noticed I had not started it in two weeks and went into a power down mode to preserve the battery. Truly amazing that the vehicle recognized a storage condition and dropped parasitic electrical loads, but non of my settings were affected.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retierd

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The first press of - doesn’t start locking out.
Yes, but sometimes people double click by accident. You can press + until your thumb falls off and the only ill effect will be to your thumb. :-D

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Hi M97,

I had to fly to Michigan for two weeks to tend to our intellectually challenged daughter and her life partner who is equally damaged. The Ranger sat for two weeks in the airport parking. I got a notice on my email that the Ranger had noticed I had not started it in two weeks and went into a power down mode to preserve the battery. Truly amazing that the vehicle recognized a storage condition and dropped parasitic electrical loads, but non of my settings were affected.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd
Thanks Phil for that tidbit! That is good to know and will give me some peace of mind. Who woulda thunk! I haven't had any alerts yet but good to now know about this feature.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you're going to be away for any long periods you could always set up a auto start schedule on your Ford Pass App. or just turn it on manually from the app for a few minutes to let it re-charge.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Hi M97,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd
Didnt know this was even a thing, learn something new every day. Thanks!

cujoquan

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going to be away for any long periods you could always set up a auto start schedule on your Ford Pass App. or just turn it on manually from the app for a few minutes to let it re-charge.
IIRC you'll need to turn the ignition back off manually via the app in order to be able to remote start again - for a case where you're not getting in the truck and driving off after. If you let the remote start time elapse fully (5/10/15 min depending on how you've configured it) it prevents another remote start until the next key-on event (i.e. you sit in the truck and start it up).

I could be wrong if that behavior has changed, but that's how the feature used to work.

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
Didnt know this was even a thing, learn something new every day. Thanks!
I recently did a remote start. While I was away at dinner with the bride, I remembered I had not retracted the mirrors (I do it to give more clearance between truck and garage refrigerator). As we drove in the neighborhood tract, I remote started the truck so I could just reach through open window and press the mirror button as soon as we parked next to the truck. Of course I did it this way so I wouldn't have to run into the house to get the fob. (Of course I was showing off to the bride as well. LOL) Anyway, our daughter was in the kitchen and heard the sound of the truck starting and was wondering what the hell was going on until she heard the garage door opening with our approach.

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
My Lariat, the LEMON that Ford repurchased sat for 6 weeks. I too got a notice that it had not been started in two weeks and went into a power down mode. Six weeks are up----started right up, no problem!
Sponsored