First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Realtor
Long time first time here. Im having issues with the heat in my 2021 ranger with sync 3. Whenever I turn the temp up and hit auto the heat only goes to the windshield. I can remedy this by going into climate and selecting dash/feet. This only happens with heat and is no issue with AC. Is this just something I have to live with or is there a fix?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Gibs45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 Cactus Grey
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Happens to me as well, although it’s been a while. I’ll just use the screen to change it when it happens.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
It seems to me that this is how the truck operates. I'm presuming it directs hot air toward the windshield for defogging purposes - I live a lizard's life in the Mojave so I don't experience a lot of the same meteorological difficulties as most members here.

I had noticed this for the same reason as you - that it works distinctly differently than the AC automatic function which defaults to the "in your face!" mode.

So unless our wizard @airline tech knows how to play with the truck's brain in Forscan I do believe your only option is to set your controls to manual and direct the air where you want when you need heat.

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Yea mine does that too.

I don't like the automatic vent settings for heat or cool. Would like both to do dash vent and feet vent. But heat does windshield and cool does directly into my eyes!

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Yep it does that. Ford must of not thought of this lol

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Either run the temp up to max in auto mode or switch to manual mode. Either of those will get it to use the other vents.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
In auto and Heat, the system is designed to use the Foot, Defrost and Dash (side vents) only - the center dash vents will rarely blow heat (in-auto mode)

Reason- more priority to defog windows and heat rises.
Better overall cabin air distribution and flow to the Humidity/ Temp sensor by your right knee ( inlet vent)
I personally HATE hot feet, work outside so having sweaty wet feet and temps below freezing is not a good thing, so I find it comfortable to set auto at 72 or so and all is good.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
In auto and Heat, the system is designed to use the Foot, Defrost and Dash (side vents) only - the center dash vents will rarely blow heat (in-auto mode)

Reason- more priority to defog windows and heat rises.
Better overall cabin air distribution and flow to the Humidity/ Temp sensor by your right knee ( inlet vent)
I personally HATE hot feet, work outside so having sweaty wet feet and temps below freezing is not a good thing, so I find it comfortable to set auto at 72 or so and all is good.
As a 2021 owner, I can confirm that the auto mode in heat times uses minimal fan speed and splits air between the window defrost vents and the floor vents. Turn up to max temp and it increases fan speed to max and uses defrost, dash and floor vents at the same time.

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I wonder if all the people having trouble with the heater box warping are using certain settings causing that? Like turning heat up to HI, or forcing the heat out certain vents. I'm fine with auto mode for everything. Generally temp is between 70 and 74. The wife on the other hand needs to have the fan blowing on HI when first starting the car because it warms quicker that way. :rolleyes:

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I wonder if all the people having trouble with the heater box warping are using certain settings causing that? Like turning heat up to HI, or forcing the heat out certain vents. I'm fine with auto mode for everything. Generally temp is between 70 and 74. The wife on the other hand needs to have the fan blowing on HI when first starting the car because it warms quicker that way. :rolleyes:
I had it set to about 72 all the time and mine broke. Should the way we use the heat or AC break it?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I had it set to about 72 all the time and mine broke. Should the way we use the heat or AC break it?
No, it shouldn't. Just looking for a trend to maybe prevent other failures.
Sponsored