Funkster's Ranger Log

Funkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
New member here. Picked up my Ranger on December 1st, figured I might as well log what I do with it.

Some quick info about me:
Have owned, raced and built many cars and a few trucks over the past twenty years. Most of which were drag oriented builds as well as a couple road course cars and one rallycross build. Pretty much every platform; Silverado, Subarus, Mustangs, S-10s, G8, CTS-V, Trailblazer, Fiesta ST, MR2, even built a Volvo 245 at one point. :cool: Most of them were turbo LS builds of varying intensity.

Earlier this year I ended up selling all of my fleet as I have lost my passion for racing. My son and I both are starting to do a lot of camping as he is VERY outdoorsy and I wanted to build something I could daily in the midwest as well as enjoy on the trails and do some overlanding along with my son.

I had my eye on Rangers for about two years since my buddy bought one, but had very specific wants. A few months ago I went to order one and was told the build time would be over a year. I set the idea aside and actually started shopping for FJ Cruisers. On December 1st I happened to be driving by my local small town dealer and found they had EXACTLY what I was looking for. Truck was used, CPO, all service records and obviously a clean Carfax. Great shape with only a couple small chips in the bumper that had been filled.

Details at the time of purchase:
2021 Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4x4
302A
Black Appearance Package
Locking Rear Diff
Technology Package
21,420 Miles

I paid $30k for it, which given the current market I was more than happy with. I also was given full book on my trade, so overall an easy deal.

Few pics of it as I purchased it:
image0.jpeg

image1.jpg

I got lucky and found a new engine cover in stock locally and purchased it. I also have a set of Morimoto XBs that I plan to install this weekend as well.

Truck will get with Fox 2.0s, wheels, tires and likely bolt-ons with a tune. I will also end up doing some exterior odds and ends, but nothing too crazy.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome Funkster - I hope you and your son are able to make some great memories with your new truck soon.

OP
OP
Funkster

Funkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Over the weekend I added my Morimotos and the factory engine cover. Quite impressed with both. The Morimotos are clean, sharp cutoff, nice and wide. They also obviously dramatically transform the look of the truck.

The engine cover made what I perceive to be a substantial difference in idle noise and what in town driving I have done. The direct injection tick is muted noticeably. As an added bonus, it looks a hell of a lot better than the engine.
?

Sorry for the glare on the headlight picture, phone didn't want to cooperate.

Morimotos.jpg

Engine Cover.jpg

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
New member here. Picked up my Ranger on December 1st, figured I might as well log what I do with it.

Some quick info about me:
Have owned, raced and built many cars and a few trucks over the past twenty years. Most of which were drag oriented builds as well as a couple road course cars and one rallycross build. Pretty much every platform; Silverado, Subarus, Mustangs, S-10s, G8, CTS-V, Trailblazer, Fiesta ST, MR2, even built a Volvo 245 at one point. :cool: Most of them were turbo LS builds of varying intensity.

Earlier this year I ended up selling all of my fleet as I have lost my passion for racing. My son and I both are starting to do a lot of camping as he is VERY outdoorsy and I wanted to build something I could daily in the midwest as well as enjoy on the trails and do some overlanding along with my son.

I had my eye on Rangers for about two years since my buddy bought one, but had very specific wants. A few months ago I went to order one and was told the build time would be over a year. I set the idea aside and actually started shopping for FJ Cruisers. On December 1st I happened to be driving by my local small town dealer and found they had EXACTLY what I was looking for. Truck was used, CPO, all service records and obviously a clean Carfax. Great shape with only a couple small chips in the bumper that had been filled.

Details at the time of purchase:
2021 Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4x4
302A
Black Appearance Package
Locking Rear Diff
Technology Package
21,420 Miles

I paid $30k for it, which given the current market I was more than happy with. I also was given full book on my trade, so overall an easy deal.

Few pics of it as I purchased it:
image0.jpeg

image1.jpg

I got lucky and found a new engine cover in stock locally and purchased it. I also have a set of Morimoto XBs that I plan to install this weekend as well.

Truck will get with Fox 2.0s, wheels, tires and likely bolt-ons with a tune. I will also end up doing some exterior odds and ends, but nothing too crazy.
Welcome! Nice find with the truck. And anything that helps you hang with your kids is a good thing.

Keep us posted please. With your background this could prove very interesting!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Nothing too exciting today, have a few parts on order currently. However we did catch some flurries and I figured I’d grab a pic.

AFB7D41D-7448-4371-BD67-4803F96DBC0D.jpeg
Good looking truck!?. Mainly because it looks like mine!!!!!

OP
OP
Funkster

Funkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Well I’ve recently noticed a clunk in the rear when I drive over small and sharp impact bumps. Getting under the truck with my buddy giving the bed some bounces I discovered it is the bottom side of the passenger shock. The bushing seems to be bad.

I have a set of Fox 2.0s on the way, but it will be a couple weeks before they are here, so I decided I’d make it a small project.

luckily my Job is machine maintenance at a company that manufactures forklift and industrial wheels and tires. As such, I have access to a lot of toys. ?

I went ahead and poured myself a slug of roughly 80 Durometer urethane with a mold I made and released it from the mold.

5F729526-C707-45E9-B65A-44B9ACB9F577.jpeg

Now for the next part it is important to note, I am not a machinist haha. I just repair the Lathes, CNCs, etc.

I went ahead and chucked the slug in the lathe and turned down a two piece bushing assembly that I can press in and reuse the factory inner sleeve from the stock shock.

They are far from pretty, but the dimensions came out as planned and they will do the job for now until my Fox setup gets here.

4FD5D2D9-4E12-4F81-A4BC-624CEFFF5DAE.jpeg

F22FB36C-64C6-46B9-85BC-DF1942640FA7.jpeg

2F2DC173-D165-4D2C-8978-0105D9A35196.jpeg

OP
OP
Funkster

Funkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Good news and bad news.

This weekend with lots of interstate driving I noticed when the cruise is set at higher speeds the physical needle on the speedometer will jump up about 2mph sporadically and bounce back and forth. I have an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow morning and am hoping they can replicate the issue otherwise I’ll be on the hook for an almost $200 diagnostic fee.

Better news:
Well after multiple FedEx delays my Fox 2.0 rears showed up. One of the holding straps was loose, so don’t mind the separate lengths.

C157FD76-C905-4CF2-8519-AF71087C22BA.jpeg

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Welcome to the club. Great looking Ranger Funkster. I am sure you and your son will enjoy it!