Dashcam install

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Ranger Dashcam with Wire harness which plugs into the OBD2 port and provides another OBD2 port connected to the harness that you screw into the same location as the original. Only Power connection you need unless you want to use it as a Parking Camera as well. Then you just add in a Battery pack to power it when the engine is off. Great setup and no wire tapping!
Sponsored

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the fast response!!! I believe you are exactly correct. The battery pack is receiving continuous power and therefore not telling the camera to go into parking mode. I used the micro tap and it looks exactly like yours, with the wires going off to the left into the a-pillar. I have my fuses placed in the same spots on the tap. I am currently tapped into #36 just like yours. There are a few fuses that are "not in use" according to the manual, but have a fuse in them. Would it be a good idea to try one of these fuses instead of #36?
Not a problem :)

You could try them, but if they're not in use, it is possible they don't receive any power at all (they may not be connected). Also, your #36 may have a different function than mine, but I think you can see this in the manual as well. If it does have a different function, it could definitely be the case.

What you could try is to use a multimeter (volt meter) to see what fuses turn off after the acc turns off, and pick one from that :)

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Ranger Dashcam with Wire harness which plugs into the OBD2 port and provides another OBD2 port connected to the harness that you screw into the same location as the original. Only Power connection you need unless you want to use it as a Parking Camera as well. Then you just add in a Battery pack to power it when the engine is off. Great setup and no wire tapping!
I didn't know they had this, that's actually not a bad idea either.

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

You could try them, but if they're not in use, it is possible they don't receive any power at all (they may not be connected). Also, your #36 may have a different function than mine, but I think you can see this in the manual as well. If it does have a different function, it could definitely be the case.

What you could try is to use a multimeter (volt meter) to see what fuses turn off after the acc turns off, and pick one from that :)
I will try the multimeter on different fuses. My #36 is Auto-dimming interior mirror. Thank you very much for your help and your original post! It really helped me install the camera and battery pack. I just have this small hurdle to get over.
Thanks again!

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Sorry, one more question. Would it be a good idea to tap into the larger fuse panel?
upload_2020-1-14_15-59-5.png

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, one more question. Would it be a good idea to tap into the larger fuse panel?
upload_2020-1-14_15-59-5.png
That's the engine compartment fuse box, right? I'm assuming you could, I just didn't want to deal with that myself as it was outside the cabin.

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
That's the engine compartment fuse box, right? I'm assuming you could, I just didn't want to deal with that myself as it was outside the cabin.
Gotcha. So, I tapped the #37 fuse as it does not provide power when the truck is off and I get the same result. No parking mode. So to test, I unplugged the power input to the battery pack and waited and the camera still will not go into parking mode. The setting within the camera seem to be correct, but I am not sure because the manual is not very informative. Any ideas?

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. So, I tapped the #37 fuse as it does not provide power when the truck is off and I get the same result. No parking mode. So to test, I unplugged the power input to the battery pack and waited and the camera still will not go into parking mode. The setting within the camera seem to be correct, but I am not sure because the manual is not very informative. Any ideas?
Hmm, in that case, there must be something else going on, and I think you should even be able to use #36 again in that case (but #37 is fine too, though).

Just in case, is the battery pack fully charged? It is possible there's not enough charge in the battery, and that it shuts off the dashcam instead (then again, you should be able to see that not all lights of the cam are on anymore).

Another thing could be that the yellow and red cable that goes to the battery have been switched around, if so, it would not register that the ACC is turned off but always receive power instead.

Are there two identical threads?
Not sure? I know there's another one on these forums, but that one is not the same :)

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hmm, in that case, there must be something else going on, and I think you should even be able to use #36 again in that case (but #37 is fine too, though).

Just in case, is the battery pack fully charged? It is possible there's not enough charge in the battery, and that it shuts off the dashcam instead (then again, you should be able to see that not all lights of the cam are on anymore).

Another thing could be that the yellow and red cable that goes to the battery have been switched around, if so, it would not register that the ACC is turned off but always receive power instead.

Not sure? I know there's another one on these forums, but that one is not the same :)
Yes, the battery is fully charged. It seems that the battery is okay. I opened the battery app and watched as I turned off the truck, the charging stopped and the battery beeped. One more thing I noticed was that when I press the manual record button, nothing happens. Not sure about the yellow and red wires tho. The connector is in the input on the battery and can only go in one way. I am at a loss here, maybe I got a dud or my setting within the camera are wrong. Thanks again for your help, i really appreciate it!

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not a problem. Where did you purchase it? It may be worth reaching out to where you got it from... I got both my cams from blackboxmycar.com and I always felt they were very helpful if I had an issue of some sort.

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Not a problem. Where did you purchase it? It may be worth reaching out to where you got it from... I got both my cams from blackboxmycar.com and I always felt they were very helpful if I had an issue of some sort.
The entire package was a gift. I believe it was purchased from Amazon.

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The entire package was a gift. I believe it was purchased from Amazon.
I understand. You could aks the person who got it for you, to check who the seller is on Amazon. I know Blackboxmycar also sells on Amazon, so it is possible they were the seller. But even if not, you may be able to find out who it was, and see if the seller could help out :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

There're two threads with identical title...just sayn...

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I understand. You could aks the person who got it for you, to check who the seller is on Amazon. I know Blackboxmycar also sells on Amazon, so it is possible they were the seller. But even if not, you may be able to find out who it was, and see if the seller could help out :)
I will do that! Thank you so much for helping me!!
Sponsored