First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
The VIDEO in that article is really good.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting that - I only read the article the first time. The video was pretty good too. I wish they would have posted their "spreadsheet" (or whatever they used to determine those scores). Be interesting to see what they evaluated them on.

I really don't get the love for the looks of the Gladiator - A couple of the guys said it was the best looking of the bunch - I think the thing is fugly. I guess if you really like jeeps maybe it is a thing. I know they have great off road cred.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
my transmission still does wonky things. for the most part if I haul on it like i stole it, it always shifts well...if I grandpa it, i get odd shifts that make me think its the GM side of the design.
probably gonna run 93 octane in it for awhile and see if it makes enough power in grandpa mode to even out the shifts
I feel the same, if I give a good push of the pedal it shifts great, but when light on pedal it seems to get lost in itself sometimes.

DrDom

First Name
Domenico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Interesting, if not curious review. I can't say that my experience has even remotely matched theirs. One thing that many reviewers don't seem to do is read the documentation, to comprehend how all of this stuff actually works. The Ranger, and several competitors, are somewhat technologically robust.

It's amazing how much better the experience can be if you first RTFM. In addition, a truck that has almost no miles on it, or has been sitting for a while, is not going to perform as well as one that has been properly broken-in and at least somewhat regularly been driven for more than an occasional test drive. I noticed markedly better handling, performance and fuel consumption once I made it past about 2.5K miles, and had a few extended drives under it's belt.

Allenfrx

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4, chrome pckg, tow pck.
One point nearly always ignored by these comparisons is 2WD on-road performance.
Since this is probably 98% of all miles driven it would seem to be relevant.
HANDS DOWN the Ranger is by far the best in this group for real world everyday service, including towing, hauling, comfort, quality and appearance.
Let's take a 500 mile road trip with the base version of all four and see who ends the trip rested and relaxed.
I could hardly stand 50 miles in the Jeep, or a hundred miles in the Tacoma.
Of course the group might get tired after the trip waiting for the Chevy to arrive late!;)

Ford is good at this. Look at the mustang....while not as comfy as a challenger or as track worthy as a Camaro 1le with trans and diff coolers.....mustang manages to consistently win the “over all best combination of compromises” vote.

Ranger seems to be a similar proposition.

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
That’s an interesting read. I do agree that the other three all do some things better, but the Ranger is better overall. Within a two hour span before I bought my truck I test drove all these back-to-back-to-back-to-back except I was in a Canyon instead of a Colorado.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
From the article:

"The test consisted of two parts: a multi-hour road route, both freeway and two-lane, and then a full day at a 400-acre truck playground called Twisted Trails off-road park. We evaluated the trucks based on dynamic qualities — such as ride, handling and off-road capability — as well as the hard specs, like cargo volume, payload and fuel economy. Pricing was also factored in, and we weighted qualities related to versatility and capability, since midsize truck buyers want true multipurpose machines."

Nice that they used hard specs too, rather than personal opinion. Thanks for the thread.

I couldn't get the video to work? I was able to find it though on YouTube..............

Last edited:

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
interesting article; as someone who is contemplating a couple of the vehicles on the list, it gave me some items to be mindful whenever I start test driving
I ended up going buying a vehicle that wasn’t a Ranger. Hope everyone here continues to enjoy theirs. My Ranger test drive went ok, but just decided that truck just wasn’t for me.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up going buying a vehicle that wasn’t a Ranger. Hope everyone here continues to enjoy theirs. My Ranger test drive went ok, but just decided that truck just wasn’t for me.
What did you buy?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Glad you found the right vehicle for you! Curious what you ended up going with, and what made it edge out the Ranger.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
What did you buy?
Glad you found the right vehicle for you! Curious what you ended up going with, and what made it edge out the Ranger.
I ended up buying a Gladiator Sport S. The powertrain felt much smoother (and quieter) and the internal cabin was the best of the three trucks. The Ranger felt... dated. I dunno, it was hard to put my finger on it but the Gladiator felt most interesting. Really wanted to take advantage of those fantastic deals on the Ranger too, but it just didn’t end up suiting me.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up buying a Gladiator Sport S. The powertrain felt much smoother (and quieter) and the internal cabin was the best of the three trucks. The Ranger felt... dated. I dunno, it was hard to put my finger on it but the Gladiator felt most interesting. Really wanted to take advantage of those fantastic deals on the Ranger too, but it just didn’t end up suiting me.
Nice choice. I do like the look of the loaded model.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
The 8 speed trans they're using is by far the best on the market in my opinion. I've had 2 Rams with them and she has a 300 with one and they're just perfect. Those things are so smooth and always in the right gear.
Sponsored