The Weekend Warrior

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Rock, I’ve got my crash bars cut and the intrusion beam relocation kit installed. I’m completely stuck now as I cannot get the driver side UCA bolt into the UCA bushings. There’s stuff in the way preventing the bolt from going back far enough so I can push it onto the UCA. I tried for an hour. The bolt just barely fits with the OEM UCA, but the Icon UCA is thicker by 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Did you have a similar problem?
I'd love to hear the answer also. I'm getting ready to order my Icons and I'd love to have all the knowledge I can get before the install. From past experience with Icon suspension products, they are usually high quality and well thought out.
Sponsored

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Hey Rock, I’ve got my crash bars cut and the intrusion beam relocation kit installed. I’m completely stuck now as I cannot get the driver side UCA bolt into the UCA bushings. There’s stuff in the way preventing the bolt from going back far enough so I can push it onto the UCA. I tried for an hour. The bolt just barely fits with the OEM UCA, but the Icon UCA is thicker by 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Did you have a similar problem?
Which bolt are you finding difficult to feed through the UCA? That super long bolt? Its been a while but it took a little finesse to get it all lined up but it was plenty long enough once I got it started on my install.

Mike

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
Which bolt are you finding difficult to feed through the UCA? That super long bolt? Its been a while but it took a little finesse to get it all lined up but it was plenty long enough once I got it started on my install.

Mike
on the driver side, the long bolt of the UCA must be installed from the back side (like it was installed on the OEM UCA. I was just barely able to remove it on the OEM, and now I cannot get it into the Icon UCA. The bushings are wider and the bolt can only go so far back before it hits a dead end. Absolutely no additional room to go backwards, If I had 1/2” more space I could force it in the hole. I can reinstall the old UCA with the bolt, so I can see where the problem is. Maybe if I had the truck on a lift I could get a better angle and better grip. I tried for one hour!

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
on the driver side, the long bolt of the UCA must be installed from the back side (like it was installed on the OEM UCA. I was just barely able to remove it on the OEM, and now I cannot get it into the Icon UCA. The bushings are wider and the bolt can only go so far back before it hits a dead end. Absolutely no additional room to go backwards, If I had 1/2” more space I could force it in the hole. I can reinstall the old UCA with the bolt, so I can see where the problem is. Maybe if I had the truck on a lift I could get a better angle and better grip. I tried for one hour!
There definitely isn't much clearance, but we started the bolt into the Icon UCA bushing before positioning the new UCA and that made the difference. Inserting the bolt after the Icon UCA was fully in position didn't work for me.

OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
Glad you guys answered for me cause I don’t do any of the mods myself. I had everything done at the dealership. Doesn’t guaranty everything will pass under warranty if something goes wrong but at least it eliminates the usual cop out of having had the truck “modified” by a third party.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There definitely isn't much clearance, but we started the bolt into the Icon UCA bushing before positioning the new UCA and that made the difference. Inserting the bolt after the Icon UCA was fully in position didn't work for me.
Thanks for the info. I did try inserting the bolt as far in as possible prior to placing the UCA. But then I couldn’t get the UCA in place. I will try again this week and let you know.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I did try inserting the bolt as far in as possible prior to placing the UCA. But then I couldn’t get the UCA in place. I will try again this week and let you know.
Did you ever get the bolts in? What did you have to do to make it fit? My Icons will be here this week and I want to be prepared.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever get the bolts in? What did you have to do to make it fit? My Icons will be here this week and I want to be prepared.
I gave up and took it to 4 Wheel Parts and had them do the install. They struggled but got it done. I think having it up on a lift gave them better leverage to get the bolt in. It’s only the driver’s side that has the issue. There’s a wire harness that gets in the way. You need to insert the bolt in the UCA first, then manhandle the UCA into place. I guess it takes patience and a better angle than I had using just a jack.

If you buy the tubular UCAs, spend the extra money to get the covers for the delta joints. You don’t want dirt and shit getting in the joint. My Ford Raptor didn’t have the covers and I had lots of issues with squeaking and grinding from the joint.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I gave up and took it to 4 Wheel Parts and had them do the install. They struggled but got it done. I think having it up on a lift gave them better leverage to get the bolt in. It’s only the driver’s side that has the issue. There’s a wire harness that gets in the way. You need to insert the bolt in the UCA first, then manhandle the UCA into place. I guess it takes patience and a better angle than I had using just a jack.

If you buy the tubular UCAs, spend the extra money to get the covers for the delta joints. You don’t want dirt and shit getting in the joint. My Ford Raptor didn’t have the covers and I had lots of issues with squeaking and grinding from the joint.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry you had so much trouble. That's confusing because I see a lot of folks running the system with no problems. Maybe your truck was an exception. I will find out this week when my system gets here. I didn't see the covers advertised when I bought the kit. I'll have to go back and look. You would think they would be included for such a hefty price they charge.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. Sorry you had so much trouble. That's confusing because I see a lot of folks running the system with no problems. Maybe your truck was an exception. I will find out this week when my system gets here. I didn't see the covers advertised when I bought the kit. I'll have to go back and look. You would think they would be included for such a hefty price they charge.
I installed my Icon joint covers last weekend - it's about a 5 min install. Make sure to clean the delta joint really well, you don't want to trap in any dirt or grime that's already in the joint. And yes, everyone complains that they should be included with the UCAs.

Here's the link for the covers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHNEGDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My trouble with the install could have been specific to my truck. Maybe my wiring harness in the engine bay was mounted slightly off its location and was blocking my bolt.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my Icon joint covers last weekend - it's about a 5 min install. Make sure to clean the delta joint really well, you don't want to trap in any dirt or grime that's already in the joint. And yes, everyone complains that they should be included with the UCAs.

Here's the link for the covers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHNEGDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My trouble with the install could have been specific to my truck. Maybe my wiring harness in the engine bay was mounted slightly off its location and was blocking my bolt.
I checked with Icon. The new Delta Joints need no covers. I know my 4Runner has the UCAs with the older joints and they needed covered.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I checked with Icon. The new Delta Joints need no covers. I know my 4Runner has the UCAs with the older joints and they needed covered.
I guess I should have asked them that when I was on the phone with them a few weeks ago. However, many vendors sell high-end UCAs without covers and they aren’t even available to purchase. RPG and SVC are two that I’ve owned, and the dirt caused issues. Not only dirt, but I had moisture get in during the winter and freeze. It made steering difficult for the first few minutes if I parked outside.

Icon and Camburg sell UCAs with covers for the Delta Joints and Ball Joints. Icon’s more expensive billet aluminum UCAs for the Ranger (and all other vehicles) have Delta Joints and include covers. Not only do they include them, but they’re bolted on and include a gasket. I guess Icon is saying the grease seal helps prevent issues, but the billet UCAs have the same grease seal and covers...

2019-up-ford-ranger-0-35-suspension-system-stage2-billet.jpg

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I should have asked them that when I was on the phone with them a few weeks ago. However, many vendors sell high-end UCAs without covers and they aren’t even available to purchase. RPG and SVC are two that I’ve owned, and the dirt caused issues. Not only dirt, but I had moisture get in during the winter and freeze. It made steering difficult for the first few minutes if I parked outside.

Icon and Camburg sell UCAs with covers for the Delta Joints and Ball Joints. Icon’s more expensive billet aluminum UCAs for the Ranger (and all other vehicles) have Delta Joints and include covers. Not only do they include them, but they’re bolted on and include a gasket. I guess Icon is saying the grease seal helps prevent issues, but the billet UCAs have the same grease seal and covers...

2019-up-ford-ranger-0-35-suspension-system-stage2-billet.jpg
The new Delta Joints are redesigned ans sealed. Here is Icon's description: http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/deltajoint/ The type of arm makes no difference, both the billet and tubular use the same new joint. I'm picking them yp in the morning, so I'll post some pics before the install.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription

Ill be installing the Stage 5 kit next weekend.. after reading about the issue of getting the bolt in place im a bit worried now haha. Ill have to give it a good fight and see what happens.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Ill be installing the Stage 5 kit next weekend.. after reading about the issue of getting the bolt in place im a bit worried now haha. Ill have to give it a good fight and see what happens.
I did it on a lift and don't really recall any major difficulty. Disconnecting front sway bar endlinks helps a ton with articulation. Good luck and enjoy!
Sponsored