Is rocking normal when standing on tire?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I took my truck in to have the tires rotated and oil changed. After I took it in I perceive that the truck rocks more than it used to when standing on the tire. If you lean left or right it rolls just a bit. I stand on my tire all the time to access stuff in the bed. Am I imagining things? Could this really have changed based on the service? It's not alarming, but it feels more noticeable. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Check tire pressure? What was it before and after?
it went from about 23 to about 32psi. I hadn’t filled them since my purchase in March. Think that’s it?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
23? That's what I would use while on bumpy off road...a bit low for highway. Didn't your low tire pressure warning come on?

32 is about right...I run 35 highway.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I took my truck in to have the tires rotated and oil changed. After I took it in I perceive that the truck rocks more than it used to when standing on the tire. If you lean left or right it rolls just a bit. I stand on my tire all the time to access stuff in the bed. Am I imagining things? Could this really have changed based on the service? It's not alarming, but it feels more noticeable. Thanks!
Is it possible the lug nuts were not tightened after the tire rotation on all four wheels?

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
23? That's what I would use while on bumpy off road...a bit low for highway. Didn't your low tire pressure warning come on?

32 is about right...I run 35 highway.
It didn’t come on and it didn’t show low in my app either. Only knew it was low by looking at the screen on the left. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible the lug nuts were not tightened after the tire rotation on all four wheels?
Thanks. I’ll torque those tomorrow and check.

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you mean rocking as is the tires rolling and taking up the drivetrain slack> or are you talking from a vertical axis actually in and out perpendicular to the axle?
The former thanks. Like the truck moves and inch or two forward and an inch or two backward.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, going forward and backward is normal and I expect you to notice it now if you went from 23psi to 32psi, as the tire isn't absorbing most of that movement anymore.
Sponsored