2019 Ford Ranger Reviews Compilation

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
it was a nice feature and gets drivers attention behind you when hard braking. overpriced option IMO. my $20k 2015 Mazda 3 had that as standard.
My dealer tried to sell me that flashing brake light for $395.
Ah, gotcha. These things are common in the motorcycle universe. I wonder if one of the cheap kits would work. It's just a 12v light. Anyway, ya'll confirm it is an option and, therefore, not on my truck!
Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Found this one today. The third brake light flashes 3 times before staying solid? Someone needs to check this because it is difficult to do this alone...

Good review

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Found this one today. The third brake light flashes 3 times before staying solid? Someone needs to check this because it is difficult to do this alone...

Mine does not flash, but i can't imagine paying $395 for the feature.
There are dozens of options for third brake light flashers on E-BAY.
Most under $10.
Simple hard wire or even a replacement bulb with the feature built in.

Last edited:

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Motor Trend: 2019 Ford Ranger Pros and Cons Review: What a Powertrain!

2019-Ford-Ranger-Lariat-11.jpg

Pros:
  • Powerful turbo-four engine
  • Great value
  • Towing performance
Cons:
  • Old architecture
  • Poor interior space
  • Aging design
The Ford Ranger came back to the U.S. market after an eight-year hiatus, during which it spent time overseas instead of filling the midsize truck gap in the automaker's North American lineup. Rising popularity of the Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado forced Ford's hand, but instead of developing a truck specifically for North America, Ford simply brought the existing Ranger here. And those secondary-market roots show.

By making changes to the chassis to comply with U.S. safety standards, the Ranger arrived at the end of 2018 with one engine option: a 2.3-liter turbo-four that's good for 270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque.

That said, one of the Ranger's best traits is its powertrain. The 10-speed transmission does a great job with this engine, which provides more than enough power despite its mere four cylinders. Even when we briefly towed more than 7,000 pounds, the Ranger's capability impressed the judges. When towing 4,000 pounds, the Ranger Lariat was quicker than the two Jeep Gladiators and the Chevy Silverado RST four-cylinder, which all pulled the same weight.

"The engine has a ton of torque and pulls 7,200 pounds with ease," features editor Scott Evans said. "No trailer brake, but it doesn't really need it."

Towing performance aside, the Ranger has a few drawbacks. The fact that the truck rides on an old architecture is evident from the moment you start driving. The poor body control had judges complaining about the amount of movement in the cabin. "Going diagonally over a driveway entrance feels like a tiny sailboat caught in a hurricane being tossed all over the place," Evans said. And with the steering not delivering good feedback, the Ranger's handling definitely has room to improve.

Sit in the Ranger XL SuperCab's second row, and you'll need to visit the chiropractor immediately after. The upright seat back combined with the negligible legroom will make rear occupants complain even on short rides. "It basically has two jump seats that are incredibly uncomfortable," said Detroit editor Alisa Priddle, who also had a hard time getting in the back seat, given the lack of grab handles.

And although the Lariat SuperCrew has ample space for rear passengers, its cabin design is getting old. Ford's Sync 3 infotainment system needs an upgrade, and Evans likened the instrument cluster to something pulled from a 2010 Fusion. The Ranger's competitors aren't known for their interior design, either, but Ford could have invested more money to improve the look and feel.

We have similar feelings regarding the exterior. Although design isn't usually top of mind for truck shoppers, the current styling is already aging.

But when judging against our criteria, we see a lot of value for the Ranger. With its EcoBoost engine and high towing capacity, even the lower-spec Rangers get strong marks. The XL 4x2 we tested came with a price tag of $29,445. We're not fans of its credit-card-size screen, but its utility really shines.

"The Ranger has all the right parts and pieces to be a strong pickup truck: Tow/Haul mode, huge real-world payload capacity, it tows like a champ (not an easy thing at this size), and is easy to maintain," guest judge Mark Williams said.

But the Ranger fell short against the rest of our criteria. Rumor has it Ford is already working on a new Ranger for the U.S. market, and it's supposed to arrive in the next four years. "If Ford could get this engine and transmission into an American-grade platform," senior features editor Jonny Lieberman said, "it would have a terrific truck on its hands." We can't wait to see what comes next.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
This is about typical for Motor trend.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fact is... a new "design" does not necessarily mean a better design.
Anybody who bought a 1972 Cougar was damned glad he didn't wait for the '74.
Anybody who bought a 3rd Gen Econoline got a much better truck than the 4th Gen.
How about the 1992 Ranger compared to the 1993-97 version.
Constant improvement is often better than clean sheet design.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Fact is... a new "design" does not necessarily mean a better design.
Anybody who bought a 1972 Cougar was damned glad he didn't wait for the '74.
Anybody who bought a 3rd Gen Econoline got a much better truck than the 4th Gen.
How about the 1992 Ranger compared to the 1993-97 version.
Constant improvement is often better than clean sheet design.
Isn't that the truth! I learned that the hard way when I bought my 2016 Tacoma,I Tried but I really never liked that truck. I really wished I had bought a 2015 gen 2 which had a much better drivetrain.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! that RTR video really shows the suspension travel and the stability of Ranger's off road capability!
Check out that bit toward the end with the truck heading straight toward the camera!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I saw this article concerning reliability of new or redesigned vehicles:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/consumer-reports-finds-vehicle-redesigns-come-with-glitches

here is an excerpt from this article that was interesting in regards to the Ranger:

In the survey of subscribers with more than 400,000 vehicles, Consumer Reports found that 45% of new or redesigned vehicles have below-average predicted reliability. The survey covered model years 2000 to 2019, and more than 300 models.

The magazine said a small group of new or redesigned vehicles had above-average reliability, defying the trend. Those included the new Ford Ranger midsize pickup and the redesigned Toyota Avalon large sedan.
Sponsored