OpenJet

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to post warning about the WeatherTech sunscreen for the Ranger. I purchased one I was using it for less than a month and it caused damage to the headliner of my vehicle it’s not too severe to the point that I can’t use a dab of super glue to fix it. I believe that prolonged use of this product would cause more severe damage. I have posted pictures below what happened to my vehicle.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Sponsored

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
i be dang...i just got one but haven't been able to use it yet since my Ranger has been sitting in service for 2 weeks since new :frown:

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
TInt the whole windshield in like 70% Ceramic, no need for such add on from WeatherTech
Does the 70% fall under the tint laws and the AS1 line on the windshield?

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 70% fall under the tint laws and the AS1 line on the windshield?
Depending on your state, it may not... but all is needed is a doc's note stating you need the UV shield done... Migraines, skin cancer etc...

Can you tell my whole windshield is tinted? It is as clear as the glass.

IMG_7790.jpg

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
i did the same as Randy. works great for heat and uv. the only down side is I wear polarized sunglasses and when i look thru tint i see these small rainbow areas like things.

as far as the law goes, DOT says the windshield cannot be below 70% total. most modern cars already have a little tint in them already. they make a ceramic 90% if you want to be 100% legal, but unless you're wearing polarized sunglasses... you wouldn't even tell the 70% was on there.

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
i did the same as Randy. works great for heat and uv. the only down side is I wear polarized sunglasses and when i look thru tint i see these small rainbow areas like things.

as far as the law goes, DOT says the windshield cannot be below 70% total. most modern cars already have a little tint in them already. they make a ceramic 90% if you want to be 100% legal, but unless you're wearing polarized sunglasses... you wouldn't even tell the 70% was on there.
Yes, what you see with Sunglasses is the UV coating of the film. The better the Sunglasses the more you'll see it. It does not bother me at all, I wear Transition lenses too, you get used to it.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
TInt the whole windshield in like 70% Ceramic, no need for such add on from WeatherTech
I would love to but I live in Savannah GA and no one her will tint a windshield, afaik...

garyrox

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Openjet, after seeing your post, I checked my XLT and it appears on some, at least, Ford did not tuck the Headliner fabric around the headliner and simply ended the fabric at the edge of the headliner. Mine shows some slight fraying at the edge. Not to the extent of yours, but some minor unraveling. I smeared some Gorilla clear Silicone on the edges. Might work. Mine might not be the only truck it is starting on. Thanks for the heads up.
Gary

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to but I live in Savannah GA and no one her will tint a windshield, afaik...
Let me find you a shop there... no shop turns down a full windshield... and leaves money on the table.

Call this dude, he said to be 20 mins from you.

IMG_7801.JPG

Last edited:

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Let me find you a shop there... no shop turns down a full windshield... and leaves money on the table.

Call this dude, he said to be 20 mins from you.

IMG_7801.JPG
I WILL get in touch with them next week! Thanks!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I've been debating on doing this, the shop who did my side windows offers the material and installed for $99.
I was going to look up some reviews, thanks.

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I've been debating on doing this, the shop who did my side windows offers the material and installed for $99.
I was going to look up some reviews, thanks.
At $99, I would question the brand and quality,... I charge $150 at my shop, I know my product and value my quality. Good Luck

CoMtnRanger

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger STX Supercab 4X4, 3" lift
Occupation
Engineer
My headliner also is frayed. I have a Weathertech sunscreen, but it has never been installed to wedge such it touches the headliner, I retain it by flipping down the sun visors and it rests outside (inboard) of the mirror. So I think the problem lies with Ford and not Weathertech.... I'll be taking mine in before the 36 month bumper to bumper expires for replacement.

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I found the same fraying on my truck and figured it was the sunscreen so did the same thing, just flipped down the visors. Didnt notice it until after I'd used the sunscreen for a month or two and since I live in 200-degree arizona I was getting the visor wedged perfectly around the windscreen.
Sponsored

Last edited: