Prototype Bed rack for Roof top Tent

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I am REALLY liking this. I haven't found anything that I like yet for $750-$800 and as you said, that's the range.
I'm a few weeks/months from buying a rack because I have kids who want to eat and have clothes and lights on because they're selfish that way.
I'll have to save for it.
Kids are ridiculous with their “needs” and “necessities.” For real, how many meals do you really need a day, son?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dangeranger

dangeranger

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4 runner , 1999, XJ, 1999 Audi S4, 1996 f150 prerunner, 1984 Audi UR Quattro
what is with the piece at the back if you dont mind me asking? i love the design but i wanted to run a RTT w/ a awning that maybe goes like 270 degrees, hope that piece doesnt get in the way, or can that be cut off?
the raised bar is so there is a tension point for the canvas top that will be and additional accessory... you won't have an issue with a 270 as long as your pivot is at the rear corner.. most 270 awnings have adjustable legs that would allow it to go up and over this regardless...

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
the raised bar is so there is a tension point for the canvas top that will be and additional accessory... you won't have an issue with a 270 as long as your pivot is at the rear corner.. most 270 awnings have adjustable legs that would allow it to go up and over this regardless...
Hurry up and let's see it with the canvas!! Lol

OP
OP
dangeranger

dangeranger

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4 runner , 1999, XJ, 1999 Audi S4, 1996 f150 prerunner, 1984 Audi UR Quattro
Hurry up and let's see it with the canvas!! Lol
Lol... I know.. I know... Our engineer currently hates me over my incessant pestering!

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Lol... I know.. I know... Our engineer currently hates me over my incessant pestering!
LOL. A rack is on my to-do list for the truck. But I also like the option of having the bed covered without a shell cause I'd like the option to remove if needed.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
It's a little different than others out there as eventually we'll have a canvas top to go over the rack....
A canvas-covered rear topper is something i've been looking for! i'm excited to see the canvas cover! How much does this weigh compared to a bed cap of similar size? I also like all the extra slots/holes, will make it much easier to add custom tiedowns and such. How does this mount into the bed?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I am REALLY liking this. I haven't found anything that I like yet for $750-$800 and as you said, that's the range.
I'm a few weeks/months from buying a rack because I have kids who want to eat and have clothes and lights on because they're selfish that way.
Do you have a photo with the roof top stowed. I am looking for one that the RTT top will be the weight of the cab when stowed.

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
Do we have an update on this project?

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Do you have a photo with the roof top stowed. I am looking for one that the RTT top will be the weight of the cab when stowed.
You will need a much shorter rack than he is making. The tent he has on appears to be a Tepui Ayer 2, which is 11" tall when stowed. (Specs and stowed pics here) With the cab being ~19" high above the bed rails, you would need a rack that's only 8" tall for it to sit flush.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
RCI universal is similar price

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I'm into it, but I'd need it lower. I don't want a tent, when stored, over the roofline. I won't be able to get into my 110 year old building's underground garage, nor do I want that kind of drag or need height for space underneath and I don't personally intend to cover the sides with endless trendy attachments. I do like the cover idea... is that just the top or the entire thing? I mean if this acted kind of like the softop of a Jeep... boom... that's sex.
Sponsored