best bang for your buck rack for roof top tent screw cab config

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
very new to this... I stumbled on this roof top tent that I like(still need to do research) where we can fit 2-3 in the roof tent and then 1-2 on the groud. Want to get the family into camping but not sure I want to go with ground camping honestly...

I am looking for best bang for your buck. I am not looking for something that's overland quality or Uber expensive. I might also go tear drop camper and roof tent...
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
A set of bed bars is going to be your cheapest/easiest mount.

I have THESE on my truck and they fit my RTT great.

They are too long for the width of a Ranger so I had to cut approximately 8" off them to get them to the right width.

I have a hard tonneau and the supports mounted with T-nuts into the T-slots in the cover. They are super sturdy.

Your mounting situation will probably be different.

IMG_2489.jpeg

IMG_2490.jpeg

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you share your tonneau you have please. looks exactly what I need!

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
If it's a hard one with that low profile bar system, it's likely a roller style. Only a few options for those once you filter to that style with the mounting tracks for the bars being integrated into the tonneau cover kit.

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am okay with a roller one. I currently have a soft low profile one that rolls

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
went with the following rack. I may went a bit overboard but it has a wide range of compatibly

Tyger Auto Plate Style Overland Bed Rack for Mid-Size Pickup Trucks | Compatible with Tacoma, Ranger, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon (See Image for Size Chart) | TG-BK2U55347 https://a.co/d/hEkgwga

and I went with this roof top tent. flexibility for 2 adults and 2 kids up top or they can sleep on the ground

Guana Equipment Wanaka 64" Roof Top Tent With XL and annex and 3 aunings

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
can you share your tonneau you have please. looks exactly what I need!
Late to the reply but THIS is the one I have.

Sturdy and turns the bed into lockable waterproof storage.

61LCfNWcZEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
very new to this... I stumbled on this roof top tent that I like(still need to do research) where we can fit 2-3 in the roof tent and then 1-2 on the groud. Want to get the family into camping but not sure I want to go with ground camping honestly...

I am looking for best bang for your buck. I am not looking for something that's overland quality or Uber expensive. I might also go tear drop camper and roof tent...
tbh a rtt setup is not a best bang for your buck especially if nobody ends up liking it... so its best to start with ground camping and work your way up.

tents use to be cheaper before 2020 now they all are stupid high up.. the cheapest use to be the smittybilt overlander for 800 but now that same tent with a redesign is like 1200...

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbh a rtt setup is not a best bang for your buck especially if nobody ends up liking it... so its best to start with ground camping and work your way up.

tents use to be cheaper before 2020 now they all are stupid high up.. the cheapest use to be the smittybilt overlander for 800 but now that same tent with a redesign is like 1200...
while agree, I went this route because even if the kids don't like it me and the wife can do little weekends and drop the kidos off at grandmas and I would rather have a RTT over ground camping. I am planning to sell my track car and shifting priority towards family activities and improving our back and front yard landscaping.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
while agree, I went this route because even if the kids don't like it me and the wife can do little weekends and drop the kidos off at grandmas and I would rather have a RTT over ground camping. I am planning to sell my track car and shifting priority towards family activities and improving our back and front yard landscaping.
The car and its trailer are why I can't consider a travel trailer, camper shell or RRT options. I did get the in-bed tent and love that. Only about 15lb to the payload, and setup is easy enough, not as easy as a camper shell, but better headroom in. Not as floor area as a larger RRT has, but I don't need to adjust anything (ladder or folder it up) to drive around the campsite/track either, just have to keep it under 20mph.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I love my RTT, but my wife doesn't like it being too high.

I had my old RTT on a taller rack and she didn't like climbing down out of it at night if she needed to go to the bathroom or something.

IMG_0855.jpeg

She's OK with it on the lower rack on my truck, but prefers it when it's mounted on my camping trailer.

Honestly I do too.

Much faster and more convenient to deploy and you don't worry about breaking your neck when exiting.

I don't have a pic of the tent on it because we haven't used the new one on it yet, but you can see how much lower it mounts.

IMG_2370 2.jpeg

Edit: One thing you'll love about the RTT vs ground camping is the advantages during unexpected bad weather.

In the camping trip I posted a pic of at the beginning of the thread, a big thunderstorm popped up on the first night.

Lots of rain, lightning, and wind.

All the ground campers in our group had water in their tents.

I was high and dry.

"Hmm. Thunderstorm" and rolled over and went back to sleep. :rain:

Last edited:

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
wait wait wait selling the track car! idk if i can agree with that now haha.

but ya doing a rtt even if its just you two would be nice to get a little weekend to your selves.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I love my RTT, but my wife doesn't like it being too high.

I had my old RTT on a taller rack and she didn't like climbing down out of it at night if she needed to go to the bathroom or something.

IMG_0855.jpeg

She's OK with it on the lower rack on my truck, but prefers it when it's mounted on my camping trailer.

Honestly I do too.

Much faster and more convenient to deploy and you don't worry about breaking your neck when exiting.

I don't have a pic of the tent on it because we haven't used the new one on it yet, but you can see how much lower it mounts.

IMG_2370 2.jpeg

Edit: One thing you'll love about the RTT vs ground camping is the advantages during unexpected bad weather.

In the camping trip I posted a pic of at the beginning of the thread, a big thunderstorm popped up on the first night.

Lots of rain, lightning, and wind.

All the ground campers in our group had water in their tents.

I was high and dry.

"Hmm. Thunderstorm" and rolled over and went back to sleep. :rain:
agreed with this a trailer is the best setup tbh lower to the ground and the ability to ditch the trailer at the site and go explore without it is nice! the down side is if something messes up on the trailer...

agreed on being off the ground with storms ive been in a rtt since 2017ish and couldnt imagine doing it any other way

the thing id say is make sure the trailer is at least capable incase you get offroad with it!

a few pics of my m100 that im currently selling since its a bit difficult to take with the dirtbike...

36.jpeg

98.jpg

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wait wait wait selling the track car! idk if i can agree with that now haha.

but ya doing a rtt even if its just you two would be nice to get a little weekend to your selves.
I think I need a break. gonna save for a different possible track car in the future. but spending time with the family takes precedent over something that only I can enjoy.

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a lot of good comments. give this a try for a season or two and re-evaluate. The good thing is this setup should transfer to a trailer in the future which could very well happen.
Sponsored