First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Looking to special order a 2020 Lariat SuperCab 4x2 from a local dealer who according to another forum member does recognize this program, but I've several questions.
  • Am I correct that I must advise the dealer of using this service at the start of the transaction?
  • Who provides the final price for the truck? Is this the "out the door" price?
  • How is the selling dealer compelled to comply with the terms of the program?
  • Does the selling price under this program free me from the additional dealer "markups" BS and hassles?
  • Does dealer financing vs. paying cash affect the price?
Because the local dealer's (3 of them) 2019 inventory does not even come close to what I want is the main reason for special ordering the truck, further exacerbated by the fact that I am seeking a SuperCab and not a SuperCrew.
Besides the new for '20 color "Rapid Red metallic" is somewhat appealing, but I was hoping that Ford would offer a less flashy blue for MY 2020 other than "Lightening Blue".

I recently joined the Mustang Club of America to reap X plan pricing benefits, just need to wait the required 60 days

Thanks!
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to special order a 2020 Lariat SuperCab 4x2 from a local dealer who according to another forum member does recognize this program, but I've several questions.
  • Am I correct that I must advise the dealer of using this service at the start of the transaction? I don’t think you’re required to but it will save you some BS.
  • Who provides the final price for the truck? Is this the "out the door" price? This is set by Ford, and when you build and price while logged in with X-plan you will see your price minus some minor fees.
  • How is the selling dealer compelled to comply with the terms of the program? Not sure what you mean here. It’s either the X-plan price or it’s not.
  • Does the selling price under this program free me from the additional dealer "markups" BS and hassles? Aside from dealer add-ons (which you shouldn’t get with a special order), it should free you up from a lot of BS.
  • Does dealer financing vs. paying cash affect the price? Unsure, it could if there was some special cash back thing or something.
Because the local dealer's (3 of them) 2019 inventory does not even come close to what I want is the main reason for special ordering the truck, further exacerbated by the fact that I am seeking a SuperCab and not a SuperCrew.
Besides the new for '20 color "Rapid Red metallic" is somewhat appealing, but I was hoping that Ford would offer a less flashy blue for MY 2020 other than "Lightening Blue".

I recently joined the Mustang Club of America to reap X plan pricing benefits, just need to wait the required 60 days

Thanks!
Final thought: special order is 100% worth doing and worth the wait. It makes your truck more...special. :like:

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
  • Am I correct that I must advise the dealer of using this service at the start of the transaction?
  • Does the selling price under this program free me from the additional dealer "markups" BS and hassles?

Thanks!
Please read this thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2-ways-to-get-x-plan-pricing-on-a-5th-gen-ford-ranger.1055/

To answer your questions:
  • X plan participation by your dealership is optional, so please confirm they will accept the X plan.
  • The X plan price is calculated by Ford Corporate. Use the X plan website to calculate the exact price of your Ranger’s configuration. No it’s not the out the door price.
  • Your dealership has to follow rigid rules as part of the X plan. That means no markups or shenanigans.
  • Yes. Documents fees are capped at $100 or state max.
  • X plan price is the final price, before additional incentives or discounts. Cash or financing doesn’t affect what the X plan price is.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s what I paid when I bought my Ranger with the X plan:
  1. X Plan price - $37,480.18
  2. Doc fee - $85 (CA max)
  3. 8.75% CA sales tax - $3,295.71
  4. Registration/license fees - $571.75
Notice how the dealer was prevented from marking up or adding any BS fees. Ford Corporate will even go so far as to do audits of X plan purchases to ensure the dealership is in compliance with their rules.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
XPlan is a pretty no nonsense way to buy a new vehicle. It is possible you could get a better deal than XPlan, but XPlan is a pretty easy way to do it - especially if you want to order it.

I will second the idea of ordering. It does take longer, but you are able to get EXACTLY what you want.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Please read this thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2-ways-to-get-x-plan-pricing-on-a-5th-gen-ford-ranger.1055/

To answer your questions:
  • X plan participation by your dealership is optional, so please confirm they will accept the X plan.
  • The X plan price is calculated by Ford Corporate. Use the X plan website to calculate the exact price of your Ranger’s configuration. No it’s not the out the door price.
  • Your dealership has to follow rigid rules as part of the X plan. That means no markups or shenanigans.
  • Yes. Documents fees are capped at $100 or state max.
  • X plan price is the final price, before additional incentives or discounts. Cash or financing doesn’t affect what the X plan price is.
Thank-You sir for the quick and comprehensive response, besides special ordering the truck, it's a relief to know that the dealer will not be tacking on additional "fees", this is exactly the scenario I abhor.
You, as well as all informed buyers know that these "fees" are tremendous cash cows for the dealers.
One dealer here in Honolulu charges $200 for an HVAC additive called "Artic Blast". When I asked the service manager there if such an additive was Ford approved, he completely skirted my question.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
XPlan is a pretty no nonsense way to buy a new vehicle. It is possible you could get a better deal than XPlan, but XPlan is a pretty easy way to do it - especially if you want to order it.

I will second the idea of ordering. It does take longer, but you are able to get EXACTLY what you want.
Thank-You sir for your response, the wait to take delivery of the truck is un-important at this point.
I've patiently waited till Ford released MY 2020 Ranger information with hopes that a more palatable blue would be offered, to no avail, however the FX2 package is somewhat appealing.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
@Mokume - I think you'll be fine using X-Plan. I personally used the Costco car program with Cutter in Aiea, and it was extremely simple to do. No hassle, stupid paradise tax markups removed (something that's pretty much impossible thanks to their price agreements and monopolies on these islands), etc. They didn't push or tried to sell me any protection plan or something either. My sales price was 100 over invoice, I assume you'll get a similar deal using X-Plan.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
@Mokume - I think you'll be fine using X-Plan. I personally used the Costco car program with Cutter in Aiea, and it was extremely simple to do. No hassle, stupid paradise tax markups removed (something that's pretty much impossible thanks to their price agreements and monopolies on these islands), etc. They didn't push or tried to sell me any protection plan or something either. My sales price was 100 over invoice, I assume you'll get a similar deal using X-Plan.
I priced both Xplan and Costco and they are very comparable-within $100 of each other.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yet another member from Hawaii!
Thanks for the useful information Svache, glad that your Costco/Cutter experience was pleasant, but I've decided to go with ordering a '20 Lariat SuperCab and utilizing Ford's X plan, the wait is inconsequential to me at this point.

electryon

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
No need to wait the 60 days with the Mustang Club membership. Your membership expiration date needs to be greater than 60 days. You can generate your pin right away.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The best part of X plan in my mind is that all cards on the table with the dealer are face up. The Dealer must show you the invoice and the X plan price is contained in a box in the array of boxes next to the A/Z plan pricing. This X plan price is what you pay, no negotiating required. I get 4 X plans a year to give away, but rarely give more than one or two away. Nice thing is that there is no requirement to use the X plan...if you find a bargain just let it expire...it is good for one year. Roughly X plan is ½% above dealer invoice.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!
Go on the xplan site, get your code. Then build the truck you sre ordering.

Xplan prices will be used. Take that to the dealer to make sure their price is the same.

Or use for negotiation. "Look, i can get this price at any dealer, why should i buy here? What are you gonna do to get my business?"

Thats what i did. Got a little more off the price.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Or use for negotiation. "Look, i can get this price at any dealer, why should i buy here? What are you gonna do to get my business?"
That works on the mainland, but not in Hawaii.... not unless you're willing to spend several thousands of dollars of shipping and taxes, and these dealers here know it (hence the paradise tax)

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I bought mine via X Plan and got several hefty rebates during the annual Memorial Day Sales. At the time of my purchase I got my Ranger for less than any buyer prior to my purchase by a BUNCH!! :)
Sponsored