Tesla Model S 'Spontaneously' Catches Fire, Requires 6,000 Gallons Of Water To Extinguish

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
There is way too much money to be made by politicians convincing people that EVs are so much cleaner, which is so far from the truth. But the only way to make it sell is to demonize the ICE vehicles. The difference with the horse excuse is that ICE vehicles were way better, and the main opponents were the union poop scoopers.
Sponsored

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
It only takes one battery cell to short (out of thousands) to start a chemical fire that only becomes worse when hosed down with water.... which causes more shorts. Corrosion is also a serious problem. Ohms Law is real! E/IR. Resistance goes up, heat goes up, EV burns down, and if it is in your garage, the garage burns down.

I do not believe the technology exists yet to fully safeguard against this from happening. I would certainly not risk my home by parking an EV in my garage.

- T
Correction e= I * r

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Correction e= I * r
Yep in a rush and typo.. Was shooting for I ... corrected in original note ( I= E/R). Resistance goes down (short), current (and heat) goes up.

Put brain in gear before typing.

Thanks

- T

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
There is way too much money to be made by politicians convincing people that EVs are so much cleaner, which is so far from the truth. But the only way to make it sell is to demonize the ICE vehicles. The difference with the horse excuse is that ICE vehicles were way better, and the main opponents were the union poop scoopers.
Your absolutely right, the ICE was so much better. Now if EVs become 50% cheaper then ICE & can go 500 miles & full charge in 5 mins, what would you buy?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Your absolutely right, the ICE was so much better. Now if EVs become 50% cheaper then ICE & can go 500 miles & full charge in 5 mins, what would you buy?
That is a lot of big IF's... and it is not going to happen anytime soon without remarkable breakthroughs in battery technology and massive infrastructure improvements. On the order of a "Mr Fusion". Walmart's got this one for $375!

Mr Fusion 1.jpg

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
That is a lot of big IF's... and it is not going to happen anytime soon without remarkable breakthroughs in battery technology and massive infrastructure improvements. On the order of a "Mr Fusion". Walmart's got this one for $375!

Mr Fusion 1.jpg
Yup. lots of IF's for sure. But look at memory on your computer.
I remember switching out 4k to 8 k memory WOOHOO!!! It may
or may not work but I'd like an EV, just not now.
Mr Fusion is sold out! That sucks!!!!

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well sure!
I'd really love that EV, it'd certainly meet my daily requirements..
And when do you think I'll l be able to buy one of those?
Just asking.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
Well sure!
I'd really love that EV, it'd certainly meet my daily requirements..
And when do you think I'll l be able to buy one of those?
Just asking.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Many, many more ICE fires then EV, we just don't hear about them.
With new EVs, we just hear about it more. It's new tech, I'm sure
in 1900 everyone laughed at horseless carriages, 'were do they get gas'
but by 1910, only a few still had horses ( a little off took 20yrs).
Give this 20 mins, I have no crystal ball but things can change quick.

Sure there's more fires because there's more ICE vehicles on the road. My point is that they're so "concerned" about the environment that these EV's take way more water to put out a fire and the toxic fumes are very hazardous. An average ICE fire takes 300 gallons compared to 28,000 for this EV fire. Places out here in the west are under some serious drought conditions yet this is good for the environment?

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/au...e,within the capacity of a single fire engine.

They also used up 28,000 gallons of water — an amount the department normally uses in a month. That same volume of water serves an average American home for nearly two years.

By comparison, a typical fire involving an internal combustion car can often be quickly put out with approximately 300 gallons of water, well within the capacity of a single fire engine.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I do agree that the battery technology should get a lot better but not sure about that quick. Then there's the charging times which some just think it's no big deal to wait hours for it to charge. Great if you have the set up at your house or work and you can plug in their. Many don't and will never have that luxury because of where they live like in condos or apartments. Not all charging stations out there now are quick charges either. Who wants to go on vacation and sit hours waiting for your car to charge? The ones on here who have them now and love them I'm sure are great for what they're using them for. But not everyone is going to use one the same way as you (not you personally CB750F) and can see the problems that lie ahead.

Personally I think they're going about this all wrong and should be pushing and perfecting hybrids where everyone can get an advantage from day one. Then work on the batteries, charging and driving times with with EV's instead of putting the cart before the horse. But this is typical of what they do and never think about the consequences before their actions.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m still tinkering with a flux capacitor, at the pace I’m going somebody will have a mini fusion reactor by the time I figure this out!

All joking aside, what happens when one of these giga battery factory’s goes up in flames. Or these power banks they’re quietly making and installing. They’re massive and one mistake or sabotage we got a major incident. Guess as long as it’s not next to a potassium nitrate factory ? we’re good.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I’m still tinkering with a flux capacitor, at the pace I’m going somebody will have a mini fusion reactor by the time I figure this out!

But look at it this way....

Once you get the flux capacitor working, you can use it to go back in time and tell yourself how you got it to work, thereby significantly shortening the R&D time your younger self spends perfecting the flux capacitor!

Also, be sure to give your younger self stock and crypto tips.

And a neat reactor that is slowly coming along

ITER

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
But look at it this way....

Once you get the flux capacitor working, you can use it to go back in time and tell yourself how you got it to work, thereby significantly shortening the R&D time your younger self spends perfecting the flux capacitor!

Also, be sure to give your younger self stock and crypto tips.

And a neat reactor that is slowly coming along

ITER
Hi Dennis,

At Ford we all carried about half dozen Flux Caps....They were always unreliable and we had to keep testing to meet deadlines. Having a flux cap handy accelerated the process a bit...

Best,
Phil

Last edited:

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I worked on developing the first Lithium battery jelly pack mass production line for Valence technologies back in the early 90s. They were the Motorola cell phone batteries that looked like one of those little individual packages restaurants used to buy jelly in. Everything was layered up by hand using giant rubber hood gloves in a big negative pressure hood. At that time they also were working with gm developing the first Lithium auto batteries. Back then nobody really thought that Lithium batteries would be the future of EV's. Really thought it would have been replaced by now due to the hazards involved. In recent years companies are investing less in creating new technologies and just looking at short term profits from existing technology with just changing a few ingredients. Look at how many homes burnt down from those kids hoverboard toys during charging just a small battery pack. EV's have better controls and monitoring over charging but at the high rates there still can be problems. It's really time to open up R&D money to take a good look for alternatives in my mind before listening to those pushing EV's as being the answer. As we know China is buying up all the minerals to be a big player in the battery world and we need alternative options to combat this. Also recycling infrastructure for the Lithium technology waste.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
The problem is that we are being force fed a solution that is not yet economically feasible. It's as if in the horse days the government forced people to buy ICE vehicles that worked poorly and had to be pulled by horses half the time. The current format of non ICE transportation will be completely different than what is being subsidized today, and a huge environmental mess will be the cost. Let the market lead the way and the result will be better and quicker.
Sponsored