Tesla Model S 'Spontaneously' Catches Fire, Requires 6,000 Gallons Of Water To Extinguish

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know ICE vehicles can catch on fire too and maybe we just don't hear it in the news as much. But this is starting to seem like a common occurrence lately (yes there's more EV's on the roads now) but should still be concerning. Especially having to use 6,000 gallons of water to extinguish it in a drought ridden state. So save the planet on one side while using up your water supply and electricity on the other. :shock::rolleyes:

https://autos.yahoo.com/tesla-model-spontaneously-catches-fire-141000862.html

A Tesla Model S "spontaneously caught fire while it was traveling freeway speeds" down a highway in California, according to the Sacramento Fire Department. Metro Fire of Sacramento tweeted video and images of the white Tesla Model S, indicating that a huge amount of water — approximately 6,000 gallons — was used to extinguish the flames. Video shows crews inserting lifts under the driver's side of the vehicle to raise it off the ground, making it easier for firefighters to spray water directly to the large lithium ion battery pack that's mounted under the car's passenger compartment "as the battery cells continued to combust".

From Tesla's official guide: "If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take between approximately 3,000-8,000 gallons (11,356-30,283 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request additional water supply early." The documentation continues, "If safety permits, lift or tilt the vehicle for more direct access to the battery."
1675104330813.png
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
It only takes one battery cell to short (out of thousands) to start a chemical fire that only becomes worse when hosed down with water.... which causes more shorts. Corrosion is also a serious problem. Ohms Law is real! E/IR I=E/R. Resistance goes up, heat goes up, EV burns down, and if it is in your garage, the garage burns down.

I do not believe the technology exists yet to fully safeguard against this from happening. I would certainly not risk my home by parking an EV in my garage.

- T

Last edited:

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
That's not the first one. Imagine the toxic fumes the first responders deal with these days. Did you see where Ford is lowering the price of e mustangs to get people to switch? Must be making enough off ice vehicles to cover it.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's not the first one. Imagine the toxic fumes the first responders deal with these days. Did you see where Ford is lowering the price of e mustangs to get people to switch? Must be making enough off ice vehicles to cover it.
Ed, I read that article earlier. I think they're trying to compete with Tesla lowering their prices so it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) they delete what lowering the price.

Those fumes are very toxic and not good for anyone in the area. I think these need to really be thought through more before we have more issues like this. Although to be fair ICE vehicles do emit a lot of toxic fumes too with all the plastics use now.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
1675107489294.png

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Yawn.

Imagine how crazy it was when they took away horses and told someone they had to sit on a bench strapped to sloshing fuel that could explode if they rolled over.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Many, many more ICE fires then EV, we just don't hear about them.
With new EVs, we just hear about it more. It's new tech, I'm sure
in 1900 everyone laughed at horseless carriages, 'were do they get gas'
but by 1910, only a few still had horses ( a little off took 20yrs).
Give this 20 mins, I have no crystal ball but things can change quick.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Many, many more ICE fires then EV, we just don't hear about them.
With new EVs, we just hear about it more. It's new tech, I'm sure
in 1900 everyone laughed at horseless carriages, 'were do they get gas'
but by 1910, only a few still had horses ( a little off took 20yrs).
Give this 20 mins, I have no crystal ball but things can change quick.

There was a huge amount of outrage down in Florida over a kid who died when his tesla crashed and burned.

Turned out the kid had repeatedly been ticketed for excessive speed and the crash was caused due to the kid driving like a jackass in his rocket of a car, slammed into a wall at a high rate of speed and damaged the battery pack causing a fire.

ice engines aren't the future, are ev's the solution? Who knows. But ice is going away...

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Gee, that looks very bad for the environment.
And, just think of the nasty ICE powered fire engines and pumpers that responded , and the ICE tow truck that hauled it away.....oh what irony !!!

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The danger of EV fires have been known for a while. They are banned at many race tracks for this reason. Most tracks don't have the equipment or personnel to extinguish them if one should catch fire.

If big brain Uncle Musk has his way should you get locked inside your vehicle during a fire the first responders will have to watch you roast thanks, to your super cool, super useful bullet proof windows. :sunglasses:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
And, just think of the nasty ICE powered fire engines and pumpers that responded , and the ICE tow truck that hauled it away.....oh what irony !!!
This is really awful. We already only have 12 years left to live before climate change kills us all. With this incident it is probably now more like 11.7 years. Oh the humanity.
Sponsored