TSB: SSM 48026 - 2019 Ranger - SecuriCode Keyless-Entry Keypad - Inoperative Keyless Entry Key Pad

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
SSM 48026 - 2019 Ranger - SecuriCode Keyless-Entry Keypad - Inoperative Keyless Entry Key Pad

Some 2019 Rangers built with SecuriCode keyless-entry keypad, may experience an inoperative keypad. Press any button. If the keypad illuminates, the battery is operating normally. If not, replace the keypad. Refer to the PTS Workshop Tab drop down menu for installation instructions. Mouse over the Workshop tab > Accessory Installation > Electrical > Wireless RF Key Pad Instructions. As noted in Step 2, for removal use fishing string to remove the keypad to prevent paint damage. Do not attempt to replace the battery. This will break the seal and reduce the life of the keypad.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
Sponsored

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced under the SSM 48026. The information states that if the keypad does not illuminate and is inoperative, to replace and reprogram.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
@unixadm or @Fordguy can you post any info for SSM 48026 for Ranger keypad issues?
SSM 48026 - 2019 Ranger - SecuriCode Keyless-Entry Keypad - Inoperative Keyless Entry Key Pad

Some 2019 Rangers built with SecuriCode keyless-entry keypad, may experience an inoperative keypad. Press any button. If the keypad illuminates, the battery is operating normally. If not, replace the keypad. Refer to the PTS Workshop Tab drop down menu for installation instructions. Mouse over the Workshop tab > Accessory Installation > Electrical > Wireless RF Key Pad Instructions. As noted in Step 2, for removal use fishing string to remove the keypad to prevent paint damage. Do not attempt to replace the battery. This will break the seal and reduce the life of the keypad.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
So if breaking the seal reduces the life of the keypad does that mean Ford is going to replace everyone’s every few years? Doesn’t make sense, even a properly working keypad’s battery will die one day, may take a year maybe a few but its going to die. And what happens when were out of warranty, is a new pad and programming going to be on our dime?

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So if breaking the seal reduces the life of the keypad does that mean Ford is going to replace everyone’s every few years? Doesn’t make sense, even a properly working keypad’s battery will die one day, may take a year maybe a few but its going to die. And what happens when were out of warranty, is a new pad and programming going to be on our dime?
It should be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, after that you will most likely need to replace on your own dime if you didn't purchase the extended warranty.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Thinking about how long a key fob lasts, which is something that most people use a lot more than the keypad, it should be good for 10 years easy. At which point breaking the seal is probably a risk worth taking. (And that's why it's so weird that they've been dying so fast.)

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
There is no seal. Mine is draining batteries (see other thread) and will soon be replaced under warranty, thank you guys for posting this, it will be a fast track once I get to the dealer

After that in 5 or 10 years when it dies, the battery is easily replaced with no risk (IMO) of breaking the "seal" which is just a rubber gasket, as long as you clip it back together fully it will be fine

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted one in the beginning. Glad I ended up not getting one.

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
Does anyone have a copy of the actual TSB? My keypad was inop when I bought the truck and dealer just replaced the battery. Said that was all that was required.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Dealer put battery in mine the second time I took it there not working. Worked for couple of weeks then it would strangely unlock my truck by itself usually at night,even though the keypad wouldnt work it would still unlock truck on its own. I took me a while to narrow this down as I didnt want to waste my time at dealer saying works as designed. Replaced key pad and it took 3 techs to program it and its been good. Service rep thought I was nuts!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't worry, the replacement battery will die pretty quick.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a copy of the actual TSB? My keypad was inop when I bought the truck and dealer just replaced the battery. Said that was all that was required.
Go to the dealer and have them look up SSM 48026. It describes what needs to be done. You will replace the entire keypad, not just the battery. (See the first post in this thread)

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry, the replacement battery will die pretty quick.
I had the entire pad replaced 6/26/19 under SSM 48026 and still going strong (I probably just jinxed myself:curse:). The original pad died after only 3 months.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the entire pad replaced 6/26/19 under SSM 48026 and still going strong (I probably just jinxed myself:curse:). The original pad died after only 3 months.
Yes, a replacement will fix the problem. My dealer did the same thing as the OP the first time and just changed the battery. Sure enough, whatever was broke in the keypad that made it eat the first battery also ate the second battery. Then they ordered a new one. Took a while to come in, but no further problems.

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Has this problem (?) been rectified on the 2020 models???
Sponsored