Seeking Rack for Roof top tent that keeps tent at roof height

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for a rack that will hold a RTT at a height that keeps it a roof height when traveling.

Any body make one yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Both RCI and KB Vookoo (Max Modular line) have universal bed racks that would work for you. Assuming you're looking for a bed rack. Expect to lose at least a couple mpg due to drag though.
I should have said keeps the tent below the roof line.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I should have said keeps the tent below the roof line.
In that case the max modular would be better as they have a 10” high option vs RCI’s shortest being 12”. Depending on your RTT it may end up an inch or two above the cab but mostly tucked in there.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I'm in the process of installing rack rails down the bed rails, so I can run standard Yakima racks over a tonneau cover. May be a disaster, I'll update when it's together.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the process of installing rack rails down the bed rails, so I can run standard Yakima racks over a tonneau cover. May be a disaster, I'll update when it's together.
I'm also going to be drilling through my rails. I decided not to curve the brackets for my bed rack (being built this Saturday) and just have the feet/plates rest and bolt right on the top of the rail as not to interfere with my tonneau cover. Gonna be a nerve-racking endeavor!

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I'm also going to be drilling through my rails. I decided not to curve the brackets for my bed rack (being built this Saturday) and just have the feet/plates rest and bolt right on the top of the rail as not to interfere with my tonneau cover. Gonna be a nerve-racking endeavor!
Excellent. I'll let you go first!

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Would the Yakima BedRock HD not work? I can't find one with a RTT mounted to it, but it's right about bed height, with a 300# capacity.

img-install-chevrolet-colorado-yakima-bedrock-hd-2__72662.1551905760.jpg

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Would the Yakima BedRock HD not work? I can't find one with a RTT mounted to it, but it's right about bed height, with a 300# capacity.

img-install-chevrolet-colorado-yakima-bedrock-hd-2__72662.1551905760.jpg

It works if you don't want a tonneau cover.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It works if you don't want a tonneau cover.
True, but that was not part of the original request. With that stipulation, I would go with a tonneau cover with a t slot, and then the Thule/Yakima T slot towers.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
True, but that was not part of the original request. With that stipulation, I would go with a tonneau cover with a t slot, and then the Thule/Yakima T slot towers.
Agreed. I considered that setup, but the sliding canisters take up too much bed space, especially in a supercrew.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The nice thing about the Truxedo Pro X15 I have is that it literally only extends over top of the bed rails maybe 3/16" leaving nearly the entire rail for mounting IF you're willing to drill through the rails and top mount a rack, bars, channels, etc. Additionally, I will be able to roll it back completely open with the bed rack in place. The bolts will be on the inside of the legs so they'll be fairly concealed. I designed this so that the inside of the feet land right outside the tonneau rails by about 1/16".

RackFinal.JPG

BaseFinal.JPG

Last edited:

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
The Yakama HD rack works very well

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
The nice thing about the Truxedo Pro X15 I have is that it literally only extends over top of the bed rails maybe 3/16" leaving nearly the entire rail for mounting IF you're willing to drill through the rails and top mount a rack, bars, channels, etc. Additionally, I will be able to roll it back completely open with the bed rack in place. The bolts will be on the inside of the legs so they'll be fairly concealed. I designed this so that the inside of the feet land right outside the tonneau rails by about 1/16".

RackFinal.JPG

BaseFinal.JPG
Awesome. What hardware are you planning on for mounting? I'm worried about pulling through the sheet metal on the bed rails. It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of room underneath for backing plates/washers. I'll have a ~185lb Tepui tent mounted.
Sponsored